Holland America Cuba

swanee4

:eek:ICan someone who has booked their cruise after June last year please tell me how Holland America is handling people who booked independent tours under the Support for the Cuban People category. The tour salespeople are saying if you don’t have one of their tours you can’t get off the ship. A woman in documentation said it’s ok. Please help me get a straight answer.

I would post this on HAL too, I have read as many returning rollcalls/posts/and reviews as I can find and found 2 comments about HAL not doing any policing about getting off the ship or how you fill out the affidavit. I am going at the end of Feb on HAL and plan on using " Support for the Cuban people" and doing private tours.

I would post this on HAL too, I have read as many returning rollcalls/posts/and reviews as I can find and found 2 comments about HAL not doing any policing about getting off the ship or how you fill out the affidavit. I am going at the end of Feb on HAL and plan on using " Support for the Cuban people" and doing private tours.

We are going on the 28th and are using the same category. Hope everything works out for us.

There is a special thread on this board and I will post it if I can find it. From what I understand, the regulations allow for "support Cuban people" and you will have to complete a form at customs to indicate that but should not have any problems. The consensus is that the cruise ships want to push their excursions. I found the thread, the best info is on post #77.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2513164&page=3

From what I understand, the regulations allow for "support Cuban people.....

I didn't sail on HAL, but went to 3 ports in Cuba last month. We filled out and signed the affidavit at the checkin desk at embarkation, not at customs. The cruiseline (Oceania) kept a copy and they gave me a copy. No on ever asked about it again.

You can tour on your own OR take a private tour OR take a ship tour. I think the cruise lines are trying to deceive passengers about their options in order to push their expensive excursions. Sad. :(

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a HAL cruise to Cuba and had no problem at all in getting off ship and doing our own thing both days. You purchase your visa at embarcation ($75) and submit your travel document before getting on the ship. Just check the first box and complete the last page. We were never questioned again. When passengers started getting off the ship, we just joined in.

I know it seems HAL is forcing people to purchase their excursions but I think this is what they have to say to be legal. They are allowed to sail there because they meet U.S. regulations and have to be compliant. If one chooses to be illegal, which we did, that is our decision. Cuba has no issue with this and nothing is stamped on your passport.

Havana was a fascinating port and we really enjoyed our ride in a '57 Chevy convertible.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for your reply. I can have at least one week not worrying if I’ve done the right thing going on my own. How long did it take for you to disembark as an independent traveler?

We just returned from a HAL cruise to Cuba and had no problem at all in getting off ship and doing our own thing both days. You purchase your visa at embarcation ($75) and submit your travel document before getting on the ship. Just check the first box and complete the last page. We were never questioned again. When passengers started getting off the ship, we just joined in.

I know it seems HAL is forcing people to purchase their excursions but I think this is what they have to say to be legal. They are allowed to sail there because they meet U.S. regulations and have to be compliant. If one chooses to be illegal, which we did, that is our decision. Cuba has no issue with this and nothing is stamped on your passport.

Havana was a fascinating port and we really enjoyed our ride in a '57 Chevy convertible.

Your passport was not stamped at all?

Do you have to carry it out of the ship and on your person or do you just need the $75 paper/visa/permit from the cruise line. Very confused if passport will be stamped?