First time on Princess

ladybird1956

We just booked our first Princess cruise: 10 day Pacific Coastal in October. We are 4 star mariners with Holland America. (I asked if we could transfer any of our status, seeing as how both cruise lines are with the Carnival Corporation. They said no. Absolutely not. Never. No way. ) My question is this: what differences should we expect between the two lines? What is the library like on the Star Princess? Any other tidbits? Thanks, everyone.

We just booked our first Princess cruise: 10 day Pacific Coastal in October. We are 4 star mariners with Holland America. (I asked if we could transfer any of our status, seeing as how both cruise lines are with the Carnival Corporation. They said no. Absolutely not. Never. No way. ) My question is this: what differences should we expect between the two lines? What is the library like on the Star Princess? Any other tidbits? Thanks, everyone.

If you own Carnival stock, you can apply for the OBC.

If anyone is a veteran, send DD-214 to Princess and you get OBC on any cruise up to $250.

The librarys on almost all Princess ships are semi-well stocked with books. Some are owned by Princess, some have been left by previous passengers.

International Cafe is great. Buy a coffee card, if you like coffee.

Skywalkers night club is a very nice place to watch the wake and enjoy the quiet during the day.

Shower curtains in the showers, be prepared for "cling". Bring some towel clips.;p

The Unlimited Soda & More Package is $8.05 per day and includes not only an unlimited fountain soft drinks, but also non-alcoholic cocktails (mocktails), juices, and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise.

Princess has a larger entertainment and cruise director staff then HAL.

More evening activities and entertainment on Princess then HAL. An evening's example could go something like this:

Princess Theater shows at 8pm and 10pm

Vista Lounge different shows at 9pm and 11pm (or 7:30 and 9:30)

Explorer's Lounge, cruise staff quiz game or other activity at 9:30 followed by music and dancing and then karaoke at say 10:30

Wheelhouse Bar, nice music and ballroom dancing all evening.

Central Piazza, two or three sets of music by a string quartet or other classical style group starting at maybe 5:30. Some evenings there are parties.

Crooner's Lounge, 9pm on wards, piano player/singer (very popular)

Skywalker's - Late night DJ

We plan our dining around our selected evening activities, and not the other way around.

The library on the Star Princess is shared with the internet cafe. There are only a few chairs and two walls of books. In the past there were lots of paperback books left by passengers, but with passengers using electronic books there aren't as many now.

One is old and the other older.

We have always found the library on Princess to be disappointing compared to HAL, seems by other comments this may vary by ship. We usually make sure to bring some extra reading material just in case.

Our recently discovered favourite Princess tip is the coffee card. If you like a stronger brew it is well worth the $35. It gets you all the brewed coffee and specialty tea you can drink, plus 15 specialty coffees ('adult' coffees, flavoured lattes etc...). Great for the chilly waters of the Pacific.

Unless you have a suite or mini suite you will have a very tiny bathroom with no tub. Princess provides conditioning shampoo, but not conditioner. Balcony rooms have a desk/chair, but no loveseat, sofa or table. They do, however, have much more closet space.