Wheelchair/Scooter accessible excursions?

Ellusionz

I tried browsing thru the ports forums but wasn't able to fully find the answers I was looking for. My parents are cruising on a 10 day NCL Jade in Jan 2016 to Key West, Tortola, St. Johns, St. Maarten and San Juan. This is my dads second cruise since he's become disabled from M.S. and needs to be able to stay in his scooter or a wheelchair. Last time he just stayed on the ship and mom went around the ports. But I'd really like for him to get a bit more out of cruising (all he does around the house is sit in chairs in different rooms too).

If anyone could recommend some fully accessible things for them to do at some of these ports I'd appreciate it. Mom thinks she found something at San Juan thru the cruise line, and I just found this company called Accessible Island Tours for St. Thomas I'm going to have her contact.

Thank you so much for your help!

I tried browsing thru the ports forums but wasn't able to fully find the answers I was looking for. My parents are cruising on a 10 day NCL Jade in Jan 2016 to Key West, Tortola, St. Johns, St. Maarten and San Juan. This is my dads second cruise since he's become disabled from M.S. and needs to be able to stay in his scooter or a wheelchair. Last time he just stayed on the ship and mom went around the ports. But I'd really like for him to get a bit more out of cruising (all he does around the house is sit in chairs in different rooms too).

If anyone could recommend some fully accessible things for them to do at some of these ports I'd appreciate it. Mom thinks she found something at San Juan thru the cruise line, and I just found this company called Accessible Island Tours for St. Thomas I'm going to have her contact.

Thank you so much for your help!

Key West - very accessible via scooter if all they want to do is tour about the town. For accessible tours check out this link https://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/accessibility-safety. Also this link has some helpful information http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/key-west-accessible-shore-excursions

St. Maarten - check out this link http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/st-maarten-disabled-access

There's also one accessible taxi but last I heard it costs $100.00 per hour. You could also check out this link http://stmaartenaccessibletours.com/our-vehicles-and-accessories/ but note I have no first hand experience using this company.

San Juan - check out this link http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/san-juan-puerto-rico-disabled-access

Tortola - Unless things have changed recently there are no accessible tours and or accessible taxis

St. John - Check out this link http://www.gimponthego.com/travel-reviews/travel-reviews-caribbean/dest5a.htm

Edited by xxoocruiser

Look carefully at the NCL shore excursions online. I found their Alaska cruises were quite explicit about whether the tour was handicapped accessible and to what degree. They even address whether scooters are permitted or whether manual wheelchairs are the only option. Hopefully their Caribbean excursions are equally detailed. Also, when your parents book an excursion, make sure whoever takes their money marks down that your father will be in a wheelchair or scooter - they may need to make special arrangements to accommodate him and/or they may only be able to handle a certain number. Of course you pay more for excursions through the cruise line, but you are paying for convenience.

When in doubt, call the Accessible Desk - they have been quite helpful when I have had a question or concern.

In St. Maarten, he can do fine without a formal excursion. If NCL uses the same port as Royal Caribbean, when you exit the port and turn left, Philipsburg is only a quarter-mile or so away. DH walked while I rode my rented scooter, and we ate, shopped, and just enjoyed walking around (so to speak).

Edited by mamasylvia

Shore excursions on the website qualifies degree of activities necessary, including wheelchair accessibility. You may also confirm with the shore excursion staff your excursion requirement. Don't worry. Your dad need not stay on board during port visits, except when tender is required.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by easyboy

Shore excursions on the website qualifies degree of activities necessary, including wheelchair accessibility. You may also confirm with the shore excursion staff your excursion requirement. Don't worry. Your dad need not stay on board during port visits, except when tender is required.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Re: Tenders . If the tender has roll-on capabilities her dad will be allowed to go ashore provided the sea conditions are good. Though NCL uses it's life boats as tenders, there are some ports in which the cruise lines use a tender with roll-on capabilities provided by the Port Authority . Such a port is Grand Cay but whether not all cruise ships in port that day will be provided tenders with roll-on capabilities by the Port Authority depends on how many ships are in port that day.

TO: OP

Based on the fact you stated in your original post that you had found an accessible excursion for St. Thomas that you were having you mother check out I made the assumption in my post #2 that St. John was the US Virgin Islands port. Just looked at the 207 Jan itineraries for the NCL Jade and non show St. Thomas as a port of call so question why you would checking out tours for St. Thomas? Additionally St John is shown as being St. John Antigua. Therefore the link I provided in post #2 does not apply as that referred to St. John US Virgin Islands. St. John Antiqua is not all that accessible. There really aren't any accessible tours that can accommodate a scooter. There is shopping and restaurants near the port but curb cut outs are hit or miss.

Will you're father be able to get off the ship? Yes but what he will be able to access may be limited. In doing a quick GOOGLE wasn't able to find an accessible tours.

There are no accessible taxis. The taxis are all non-accessible vans. If your father is able to transfer to a seat in the van and the scooter is a portable the drivers have been know to lift the scooter into the rear of the van.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I also use a scooter. I take a bicycle cable lock with me. It is very heavy duty. I have been able to secure my scooter to a pole or bench with the cable and was able to get on a bus or trolley for a tour. Thats just a thought for you.

> I have been able to secure my scooter to a pole or bench

You are braver than I am. One of the myriad reasons I insisted on a folding scooter was so I could use it part of the time and just fold it up and drag it along when necessary. For our upcoming Alaska cruise, there is at least one excursion I intend to take both wheelchair and scooter on! (8 hours, partially on bus, partially on train, and a couple of long stops where I will want the scooter to get around on.)

• 1 year later...

> I have been able to secure my scooter to a pole or bench

You are braver than I am. One of the myriad reasons I insisted on a folding scooter was so I could use it part of the time and just fold it up and drag it along when necessary. For our upcoming Alaska cruise, there is at least one excursion I intend to take both wheelchair and scooter on! (8 hours, partially on bus, partially on train, and a couple of long stops where I will want the scooter to get around on.)

what excursion is this that you are taking a wheelchair & scooter & why both?

what excursion is this that you are taking a wheelchair & scooter & why both?

Suggest you check the "posted on date" before replying. Had you done so you would have discovered the posted you're replying to was posted on December 1st, 2016, 12:20 AM. Mamasylvia took the cruise in May 2017. The last time Mamasylvia posted anything on CC was Jun 30, 2017 .

Edited by xxoocruiser