LGA Arrival / JFK Departure (International Flight) - What to do during layover?

lifeasme123

We arrive into LGA 830AM (via Southwest and American) to catch an international Flight (Iberia Airlines) from JFK at 530PM. When I made this booking I forgot to consider that we will not be able to check our luggage in at JFK until 3 or 4 hours before the flight, which is 130PM or 230PM. Is this correct?

We have lounge access and plan to spend our layover time in the lounges. But here is the dilemma:

If we pick up our luggage from LGA and make our way over to JFK, we will have to sit at JFK until 130PM or 230PM before we can check in our luggage. This means we will not have access to the lounges until after security. Is this correct?

For those very familiar with LGA/JFK, I would like to know if this is possible: When we arrive at LGA, the plan is to go to the lounge first then pick up our suitcase about 1030-11AM. Or is that a big risk and our luggage may get lost at the start of our trip abroad?

Any suggestion is appreciated!

Have you called your departing int'l airline to confirm their rules about checking luggage ??

Southwest/AA's lounge used to be landside, many ... many years ago but it's now next to the gates and small, and will be moving soon - if not already, as they are expanding & relocating all the terminals as part of the airport redevelopment & reconstruction plan.

I would not recommend leaving your arriving luggage downstairs unattended, even thought there might be some security checking for matching bag tags as folks leave & walk away with the luggage, or the luggage handlers might pull them aside if it continued to go around & around in the carousal area.

The taxi/car service ride over to JFK for the morning hours will typically take 30 to 45 minutes, if traffic isn't unusually heavy & gridlocked (and, it can) - if flight is on-time, you will likely be at your int'l departure terminal by 10:30 am.

There is luggage storage, landside at JFK at one of the other terminals, for a nominal fee, but you can't access the lounge until you checked in with the bags & cleared TSA security. Maybe you wanted to haul your bags together to a nicer place near JFK, i.e. Howard Beach has a few decent restaurant for lunch, sit back & enjoy - it's less than a 10 minutes drive from the terminal. Then, have the place called a local car service or take a very short Uber ride back to the airport, instead of hanging out in the lounge for 5 or 6 hours, munch on snacks or pay overpriced concession food.

Edited by mking8288

I wouldn’t leave my luggage either. It might just “disappear”. It’s just left in a big bunch nobody really monitors it.

At JFK there is no place to sit before security. I think it all depends when Iberia opens their check in desk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Whatever you do, do NOT delay getting your luggage at baggage claim in LGA in order to go to the lounge and kill some time. That’s exactly how we lost our luggage in transit to a cruise to Alaska. And the luggage was NEVER found, meaning that most likely someone stole it when they saw it unclaimed for an extended period of time.

Given that the OP is arriving at LGA on domestic carriers It is a good idea to leave plenty of time allowing for delays. Normally I wouldn’t think of Howard Beach as a place to spend tourist time but I assume that the OP has got a reason. But the idea of a car rental is good but but be sure the luggage is in the trunk (not visible) if you park and go to lunch.

Thanks for the unanimous advice!

How difficult will it be to drive from LGA to JFK with a stop at Howard Beach? Maybe we can rent a car and have lunch at Howard Beach.

Thanks!

Howard Beach is not really a “beach” but more a neighborhood. Lots of good Italian restaurants in that neighborhood. I would just call an Uber to drive to a restaurant and then when I’m done eating call an Uber for the airport. Don’t go thru the hassle and expense of renting a car. Jmo. Astoria near LaG has lots of great restaurants (Greek).

Given that the OP is arriving at LGA on domestic carriers It is a good idea to leave plenty of time allowing for delays. Normally I wouldn’t think of Howard Beach as a place to spend tourist time but I assume that the OP has got a reason. But the idea of a car rental is good but but be sure the luggage is in the trunk (not visible) if you park and go to lunch.

Our flight is at 530pm. If we rent a car, then we plan to drop off the car about 200pm. I assume that is enough time.

I am a bit nervous now about your mention of a trunk. I was planning to rent a SUV.

Someone suggested Howard Beach as a possible place to visit since it is near the airport.

We are basically trying to find something to do for about 4 hours (10-2); thought a lunch would be nice.

Howard Beach is not really a “beach” but more a neighborhood. Lots of good Italian restaurants in that neighborhood. I would just call an Uber to drive to a restaurant and then when I’m done eating call an Uber for the airport. Don’t go thru the hassle and expense of renting a car. Jmo. Astoria near LaG has lots of great restaurants (Greek).

The issue here is that we will have our luggage. We do not want to lug it around.

The issue here is that we will have our luggage. We do not want to lug it around.

I Understand. But you have to realize the logistics of renting a car at LGA and returning at JFK. It is NOT easy peasy. The driving is not easy peasy. I hate to say it but there are certain sections in Queens where folks don’t obey regular traffic regulations. Making u-turns over the Center meridian and double parking is just an average day. lol when you return the auto at JFK you have to lug it on the AirTrain. Throwing it in the back of a cab is nothing compared to that.

I Understand. But you have to realize the logistics of renting a car at LGA and returning at JFK. It is NOT easy peasy. The driving is not easy peasy. I hate to say it but there are certain sections in Queens where folks don’t obey regular traffic regulations. Making u-turns over the Center meridian and double parking is just an average day. lol when you return the auto at JFK you have to lug it on the AirTrain. Throwing it in the back of a cab is nothing compared to that.

Got it. Thanks! Guess I am back to the original plan and just find a place/restaurant to sit at the airport. I have no idea what I was thinking when I book the domestic flight!

I'd also ask for advice on the cruise air board. I had an experience with a long delay at Logan Airport in Boston. I was lucky enough to get invited at the AA lounge in another terminal. I had my boarding pass but also had my luggage. I was able to get through security with the boarding pass and luggage when we said we were going to use the lounge. If you don't ask, no one is going to offer.

Got it. Thanks! Guess I am back to the original plan and just find a place/restaurant to sit at the airport. I have no idea what I was thinking when I book the domestic flight!

Iberia is Terminal 7 at JFK, that is the 2nd smallest terminal and there are no services per-security and very few seats on the departure level, don't recall arrival. Arrivals level there is a Hudson News and Subway (not sure sandwich shop is still there).

Not a lot of services pre-security in most terminals except Terminal 1's food court is pre-security, T7, where you are going, is post-security.

As to Terminal B at LaGuardia where AA and WN are, there used to be a food court pre-security lower level and a 2nd area at the end of the terminal departure level but I don't know if they moved them since construction started.

I think you may end up "lugging" your luggage around a bit, you can take a taxi to Terminal 1 JFK sit in the food court then air train or even another taxi over to T7.

From T7 to T4 you want the Air train that services terminals only (not Howard Beach or Jamacia) traveling in reverse order of terminal numbers.

This might be a dumb question, but why in the world would you pick this routing to begin with? Flying into one airport and departing form another is crazy. Are you flying into LGA on southwest or American? They are not even in the same alliance (American in Iberia are though). You would have been much better off just flying into JFK on AA that way your bags are interlined all the way to Spain (assuming somewhere in Spain as Iberia is based in Madrid).

This might be a dumb question, but why in the world would you pick this routing to begin with? Flying into one airport and departing form another is crazy. Are you flying into LGA on southwest or American? They are not even in the same alliance (American in Iberia are though). You would have been much better off just flying into JFK on AA that way your bags are interlined all the way to Spain (assuming somewhere in Spain as Iberia is based in Madrid).

Part of our family is flying in on Southwest and the others are on AA. The cities where we are coming from do not have a lot of non-stop flights.

Price was also a factor. It was twice the price for us: LGA vs JFK.

I'd also ask for advice on the cruise air board. I had an experience with a long delay at Logan Airport in Boston. I was lucky enough to get invited at the AA lounge in another terminal. I had my boarding pass but also had my luggage. I was able to get through security with the boarding pass and luggage when we said we were going to use the lounge. If you don't ask, no one is going to offer.

What is the cruise air board? I never thought of this possibility. Thanks!

Iberia should be using British Airways' Lounge at JFK's T7 - we fly Cathay Pacific & used the lounge when CX was still at T-7, it's nice and comfortable - the Concord lounge section or wing is for First Class pax only. Call & check with the lounge to see what are their policies, it's open daily 5 am to 10 pm & whether you can go thru TSA security with all the luggage & bring them into the club/lounge if it's too early to check-in with Iberia (most likely, they used contracted ground services via JFK with limited hours). Lounge is just beyond security and up the escalators, gates are close by & some of the giant windows directly look out toward the gates, to watch aircraft operations on the tarmac.

Otherwise, T-1 and T-4 has luggage storage, for a fee, pre-security on arrival level. T-1 is busy 24/7 and used by many international carriers, with the food court pre-security, it's open nightly until 10 pm.

JFK AirTrain is free for inter-terminal use and you can haul your bags & items with the luggage cart (rental fee was $7 each, the last time we used it) onto and off the AirTrain, just can't take them thru security.

One optin is to take a taxi from LGA over to JFK (car service will require taking a free shuttle bus over to the remote parking lot designated for car service pickup with all your luggage - and if you can't head straight into the Iberia/BA club lounge - get dropped off at T-1 instead, locate & leave your bags with the luggage storage; then, explore the food court & enjoy the free WiFi inside the terminals.

By early afternoon, you should good to go - retrieve your luggage, take the AirTrain over to T-7 and do your check-in, etc.

Plan C - explore Howard Beach, although it might be more difficult if there are more than 3 of you with the extra bags in tow ... But, depending on whether your LGA flight is on-time or not, take a car service (taxi driver might get lost, although it's easy, just 2 exits east of the exit before JFK, on the Belt Parkway - to reach the Howard Beach neighborhood, where all the (lots of Italian) restaurants are basically along Cross Bay Blvd, just off the outskirts of JFK - to do an early lunch, perhaps.

i.e. Lenny's Clam Bar & Restaurant (also in Little Italy, Lower Manhattan, New York) is open at 11 am for lunch - stretch your luncheon - then, get an Uber or have the place call for a local car service to take you over to the airline terminal to drop off, a short ride - $15 to $20 will cover the fare & tips.

Here's a menu link to their website - (disclosure) not affiliated with them in any way nor endorsement, just FYI only - http://www.lennysclambar.com/

With these sample prices (doesn't seem updated, but ...) for a frugal weekday lunch, it surely beat airline terminal's McDonald prices, for real.

Part of our family is flying in on Southwest and the others are on AA. The cities where we are coming from do not have a lot of non-stop flights.

Price was also a factor. It was twice the price for us: LGA vs JFK.

Ok, well that answers my question too, which was how you were arriving on both AA and WN, LOL. Anyway, yes, you got a lower price but now you see that there is a cost to that.

One option that I don't think has been suggested would be to get a day room at a hotel. While I fly in and out of NYC airports often enough, I've never had reason to get a hotel near either airport so can't make any suggestions, but do a little research and I'm sure you can find something. You'd have a private room in which to relax, nap, watch TV, whatever, and hopefully you can find one that has a decent restaurant on property for lunch or possibly one that is a short uber ride away.

Anyway, yes, you got a lower price but now you see that there is a cost to that.

We saved over $1200 flying into LGA instead of JFK so I am ok with the wait.

I am just trying to research what we can do during the layover.

It really depends on the amount of time you really have and if you are just trying to kill time. Also how much luggage you have.

First, as everyone has said, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR LUGGAGE UNATENDED at LGA.

Personally I would probably use TripAdvisor to find a nice restaurant (anywhere along a reasonable route) that is open (and would not complain about the luggage) and have a long brunch and the use Uber to get there from LGA there and Uber to get from there to Kennedy. Bing a book or Kindle or whatever to pass time at Kennedy.

If you are willing to go crazy you could rent a car depending on weather and time of year go to Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, or maybe Sagamore Hill National Historic Site.

However, even though the airline says you are arriving at 8:30AM in reality it might end up being 11:30AM.

I would keep my plans very fluid.