Paris transfer question

deec

If we decide NOT to take the Viking pre-cruise extension in Paris and DIY . What is the easiest way to get to lePerc with luggage from Paris? How expensive? We would like to spend longer in Paris and neighboring area and $1000/pp for a 2 day extension seems quite expensive.

How about at the other end...Avignon to Marseille?

thank you

We are spending two weeks in an apartment in Paris before our France's Finest river cruise. I have been researching this problem too. I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning toward Uber. I found this link helpful.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Le-Pecq/Paris

I may take the RER since our apartment is near the station. Then a taxi to the port. I haven't found a confirmation that there is a taxi stand at the end station. It depends on how much luggage take. When is your cruise? We are going at the beginning of October this year.

Avignon to Marseille -- We are using the Viking transfer to the airport.

Hope this helps.

Cynthia

How about at the other end...Avignon to Marseille?

thank you

We are thinking of pre-cruise on the Avignon end and in my research I found that there is train from Avignon direct to the airport (without having to go into Marseille and then back out to the airport).

We are spending two weeks in an apartment in Paris before our France's Finest river cruise. I have been researching this problem too. I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning toward Uber. I found this link helpful.

I may take the RER since our apartment is near the station. Then a taxi to the port. I haven't found a confirmation that there is a taxi stand at the end station. It depends on how much luggage take. When is your cruise? We are going at the beginning of October this year.

Hope this helps.

Cynthia

The RER station near Le Pecq is relatively close the dock (a mile?) but it is up a steep hill in the middle of Saint-Germain-en-Laye. IMO the hill is too steep to navigate with luggage. It's in the heart of the town so there should be cabs available and there is always the Uber option. Be aware that we were there last August on a Sunday and the rail line was closed for maintenance. The regular Sunday train schedule is also limited.

BTW if you are a fan of the TV series Outlander, the body of James II is entombed in the church right next to the train station in Saint-Germain-en-Laye.

The RER station near Le Pecq is relatively close the dock (a mile?) but it is up a steep hill in the middle of Saint-Germain-en-Laye. IMO the hill is too steep to navigate with luggage. It's in the heart of the town so there should be cabs available and there is always the Uber option. Be aware that we were there last August on a Sunday and the rail line was closed for maintenance. The regular Sunday train schedule is also limited.

BTW if you are a fan of the TV series Outlander, the body of James II is entombed in the church right next to the train station in Saint-Germain-en-Laye.

Thanks for the input. I just checked and we board on a Wednesday so unless there is a strike we should be okay. I love the

Outlanders--both the books and the TV series. I have a picture of me touching Claire's standing stone. (nothing happened)

We are not going until fall of 2019.

I would also love your apartment information.

thanks

Here's our apartment.

http://www.vacationinparis.com/listing/79/vieux-paris-one-bedroom

We stayed there for a week about 5 years ago and loved it. The company is based in NJ but they have a representative in Paris.

I'll come back here and let everyone know what I did about the transportation.

Cynthia

• 3 weeks later...

thanks

uote=deec;56133729]We are not going until fall of 2019.

I would also love your apartment information.

thanks

Consider looking at Airbnb as well. We are meeting another couple for 10 days before parting and boarding viking in le pecq. It made sense for us and the were a ton of choices in terms of price and location. Hoping our friends rent a car at the end, so they can just give us a ride to the boat! Jane

Hope this helps.

Cynthia

Heads up to all us DIYers!!

I am not trying to start a panic but we do all need to be aware. I was checking things out on Google the other night, looking at transportation options in Paris. The transportation strike is making a mess of things. Fortunately, the directions section of Google maps gives you public transportation routing and tells you if any part of your route is on strike and when. The bit of routing I was looking showing that the RER at St.G station would be on strike during the time period I was looking at (which was rush hour the next morning).

I do hope that this strike business clears up before any of are traveling and until it does I think the travelers' tag line for France should be "Google. Don't leave home without it."

Heads up to all us DIYers!!

I do hope that this strike business clears up before any of are traveling and until it does I think the travelers' tag line for France should be "Google. Don't leave home without it."

I love Google maps and even check it at home when we're traveling to Philadelphia. I really wish Viking would provide a shuttle from the center of the city on embarkation day. Good luck. We don't leave until September so maybe the strikes will be over by then.

Cynthia

We used UBER all over Pairs and it was wonderful. We were fortunate that we were there during the time when most Parisians go on vacation and when we requested an Uber they were there in MINUTES. I like that I can see exactly what my charge will be and I can tip digitally without dealing with cash.

I love Google maps and even check it at home when we're traveling to Philadelphia. I really wish Viking would provide a shuttle from the center of the city on embarkation day. Good luck. We don't leave until September so maybe the strikes will be over by then.

Cynthia

LOL, I'm a Philly girl, too! Yes, I know it says Boston but you haven't heard me speak yet. We have been making the drive home for the past 37 years and what a difference both EZ-Pass and Google have made. No more flipping a coin in CT--heads TappanZee, tails GW.

We are booked on a Viking France's Finest River cruise to the beaches of Normandy in October, 2018. We have a "free" day in Paris and want to go to the Canadian War Memorial site in Vimy. Our initial plans would be to take a train to Arras then a taxi to Vimy Ridge.

Can someone who is familiar with Paris' and France's RER train and subway systems provide us with directions from Viking Rinda at LePecq to Vimy (Arras)? We are not exactly sure where the Viking Rinda will dock in Paris, but seem to think it is at or near Le Pecq.

Therefore, the RER subway from Le Pecq to the Gare du Nord train station, and on to where we can get the train to Arras, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much....Rob & Val:cool::D:p

Here's our apartment.

http://www.vacationinparis.com/listing/79/vieux-paris-one-bedroom

We stayed there for a week about 5 years ago and loved it. The company is based in NJ but they have a representative in Paris.

I'll come back here and let everyone know what I did about the transportation.

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,

We too have stayed in that apartment 3 or 4 years ago and have tried to rent it more recently to no avail. We really enjoyed it and have used Vacation in Paris many times. Won’t use airbnb as I recently had a bad experience with them in Sarlat, France but that’s a whole other story.

Enjoy your travels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Cynthia,

We too have stayed in that apartment 3 or 4 years ago and have tried to rent it more recently to no avail. We really enjoyed it and have used Vacation in Paris many times. Won’t use airbnb as I recently had a bad experience with them in Sarlat, France but that’s a whole other story.

Enjoy your travels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's amazing considering all the apartments available. I almost booked with VRBO but the lady cancelled because of the new taxes on rentals. I then understood the rise in the price of our first choice. I booked it 10 months out. We're really looking forward to our return. We only stayed one week the first time so two weeks should be twice as nice.

Cynthia

• 3 weeks later...