Search ends for man who fell off Carnival cruise ship off Florida coast

Very sad! I live right outside Greensboro (where he's from) and I have a co-worker who's spouse grew up with him. They released the video to the family earlier today so they could see exactly what happened. I can't imagine the pain this family is going through.

It's the ship's video from the camera that looks down the ship with a view of the balcony cabins. According to the video, he did not jump, but he did put himself in a bad situation.

Where can I watch the video?

Was he drunk or fooling around?

Where can I watch the video?

Was he drunk or fooling around?

I'm not sure if they release this video to the public, but I'm assuming they don't. I only know that it was released to his family today.

I also don't know if he was drunk or not. They have not released many details yet.

It is sad. But entirely preventable (unless you are murdered), so not something I think about all that much. Just terrible for the family. Can’t imagine what they are going through.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And not to sound selfish, but if I were a passenger on that ship, knowing that incident happened would be on my mind the remainder of the trip. It's the same as staying in a hotel and having someone in a room near you tragically die, except you can't check out in the morning and stay somewhere else. Awful situation for everyone. Hopefully the family is able to recover his remains and find closure.

And not to sound selfish, but if I were a passenger on that ship, knowing that incident happened would be on my mind the remainder of the trip. It's the same as staying in a hotel and having someone in a room near you tragically die, except you can't check out in the morning and stay somewhere else. Awful situation for everyone. Hopefully the family is able to recover his remains and find closure.

In November 1987 me & group of friends were in a NYC hotel for a holiday weekend tour. Our first night/wee hours of the morning, a European banker jumped from the roof of our hotel and landed on a car. I saw the car outside of the hotel next morning when we were going for breakfast. There was ... let's just say ... matter on the outside and inside of the smashed windshield.

I just want to know what happened. I don’t drink, so I’m not worried about drunkenly doing something to fall overboard, but yet sometimes when looking out over the railing I get a mildly fearful feeling of somehow falling overboard. I don’t even see how someone could be pushed over. It seems like they would have to be somehow hoisted up and then over. Anyway so sad and tragic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While we don't know the details, let this be a cautionary tale. It could happen to anyone. RIP.

While very sad for the family and my heart goes out to them, this could not just "happen to anyone" on a cruise ship. I have seen a lot of foolishness on cruise ships in the last 18 years and it is the people themselves that create situations where they are in harms way. You do not just fall off a cruise ship incidentally, you jump or you are not making good decisions which can lead to a very bad outcome in some cases.

Very sad situation for the family.

However, it is next to impossible to "fall off" a cruise ship. I'm six feet tall, and the balcony railings come up above my waist. I like to cruise and I occasionally get a little tipsy, but I have never felt the urge to sit on the balcony railing, stand on the balcony railing, climb over the balcony railing, or try to fly from the balcony.

To "fall off" the ship, you have to be helped or be acting stupidly.