New Drinks Menu

Riocca

If you want “the” definitive case on contract law, google “carlill vs carbolic smoke ball company 1892”. Its basic, but it changed the way contracts were executed in law in the UK. Offer to treat, accepted, contact made, end of. Anything less is breach. Simple. Lets see what Bonnie says.

Oh, I remember the "carbolic smoke ball company" from my University days studying Pharmacy.

Also remember "offer/invitation to treat" but not sure that I completely understand the legal implications.

I'm sure you have.

The "signature" field was intended for well, your signature, your contact information, or nothing. However some manufacturers install words like

"Sent from my Ipad (or Iphone) using Forums"

in the "signature" field so their ad shows up at the end of every email or post you make.

These ads also waste space in posts with lots of returns before the manufacturer's ad.

Aren't forums supposed to be ad free?

So, maybe I have missed them, but I truly do not remember seeing any ads.

I’m confused...how can a Martini not be included if you are willing to have it with the included gin or vodka? And the same for other drinks? Also the proofreader in me would like to point out that Bloody Mary is spelled incorrectly and Daiquiri is in a different font than the rest of the list. Very low-end like the included alcohol!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad that someone else caught the Bloody Mary misspelling. And to add to what you said, how can a simple Martini not be included but a Grasshopper--which is more complicated- is? And also, you can get a Gibson but not a Martini?? (The only difference being an onion instead of olive)?? I wonder who came up with this?

The answer from Bonnie about this in general and in particular if you can still get an included cocktail made with the included drinks (e.g.Cuba Libre made with the included Silver Rum rather than Bacardi)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, does this mean that you got a response from Bonnie?

Oh, I remember the "carbolic smoke ball company" from my University days studying Pharmacy.

Also remember "offer/invitation to treat" but not sure that I completely understand the legal implications.

Quote from same case law under ‘significance’.....

Firstly, misleading advertising is a criminal offence. Under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations [13] (secondary legislation, passed under the European Communities Act 1972), regulation 5 states that a commercial practice is misleading......

"if it contains false information and is therefore untruthful... or if it or its overall presentation in any way deceives or is likely to deceive the average consumer... even if the information is factually correct"

I dont want to turn this thread into a circus or a class action, but ive been sold something AZ are now not willing to deliver. The uk web site still states the ‘old’ inclusive drinks as they were, even though they appear to have changed on board without notice elsewhere. I booked my vacation, those T&Cs applied, and both ways at that time. Unless there is something im missing? Willing to be proved wrong and as i said earlier lets see what Bonnie says.

I apologize for the delay. I wanted to touch base with different departments, specifically Hotel Management and Marketing, to make sure I understood how these changes would be handled onboard the ships.

Here's an official statement. Hopefully it will calm most of your worries!

Any cocktail that can be made with the inclusive spirits is still included complimentary.

The only changes that were made were to the Premium and Ultimate brand list as some brands were added or eliminated based on consumption.

Additionally, we made a change to the inclusive beers offered by removing Beck’s and replacing it with Newcastle on draft.

I apologize for the delay. I wanted to touch base with different departments, specifically Hotel Management and Marketing, to make sure I understood how these changes would be handled onboard the ships.

Any cocktail that can be made with the inclusive spirits is still included complimentary.

The only changes that were made were to the Premium and Ultimate brand list as some brands were added or eliminated based on consumption.

Additionally, we made a change to the inclusive beers offered by removing Beck’s and replacing it with Newcastle on draft.

Thank you Bonnie for getting that information so promptly!

Very reassuring, sounds like the message was partly lost in translation as it came back across the high seas.

I can understand brands being eliminated at the high end due to non consumption. The removal of Becks and replacement with Newcastle is not good news for lager drinkers like DH and it is appearing on the new menu shown in Post 1 but at least cocktails seem to be back on the menu.

I would say though that maybe they need to look at the menu layout as guests will be confused by it, if as is being suggested now the original 30 cocktails/martinis from the menu are still all available, maybe the list in the menu should be more extensive so everything lines up

Not being snarky, but I'm still confused and must be missing something. If as Bonnie says "the only changes that were made were to the Premium and Ultimate brand list..........." why is there even a new menu of the inclusive drinks minus several of them? Why not just keep the original drinks list....it does have its own page so the changes could have been made to the Premium and Ultimate list pages without messing with the Inclusive list. Thanks.

I honestly just think this is poor communication and planning by Azamara for this roll out rather than a vast decrease of included drinks -- a rum and coke, martini, gin & tonic with the INCLUDED liquors must be included, otherwise they are really a "beverages not included" cruise line. And I would like to point out two positives -- two years ago before our first-ever Azamara cruise, there was a big plea to include sparkling wine and Azamara did listen and added it to the list (just in time for my cruise, thank you!). We were very pleased. And love, love, love the fact that a decent beer (Newcastle) is now on the included list. Thank you again.

Now if we could just get them to add wines by the glass to the premium and ultimate beverage packages (like Viking's Silver Spirits package) so we wouldn't be drinking the included $7/bottle Dark Horse Chardonnay, we would actually purchase the upgrade!

All wines by the glass are included in the Ultimate Package, including proper champagne. The wines have been upgraded and the ones we have tried are better than the previous offerings.

Thank you Bonnie for getting that information so promptly!

Very reassuring, sounds like the message was partly lost in translation as it came back across the high seas.

I can understand brands being eliminated at the high end due to non consumption. The removal of Becks and replacement with Newcastle is not good news for lager drinkers like DH and it is appearing on the new menu shown in Post 1 but at least cocktails seem to be back on the menu.

I would say though that maybe they need to look at the menu layout as guests will be confused by it, if as is being suggested now the original 30 cocktails/martinis from the menu are still all available, maybe the list in the menu should be more extensive so everything lines up

Ann still plenty of Becks being served onboard.

Thank you for the clarification Bonnie, as OP it was our intention to pass on good news on what we viewed as significant improvements to the Premium & Ultimate Beverage Packages. We certainly never intended to cause such consternation and concern, as non cocktail drinkers we were unaware of the removal of so many from the included list.

However we do feel that communication within Azamara is also to blame as the answer you have given is definitely not the answer we received onboard. Maybe the included list has been over simplified giving rise to confusion?

That’s good to hear Bonnie. Thank you for clarifying.

Phil

There isn’t a list of popular cocktails in the world that doesn’t include martini, whisky sour, and manhattan.

Besides, let’s say it is because they aren’t popular, what is the advantage to them to take it off the included list? Nothing I can think of.

I will wait to make final judgment because there is a possibility that this isn’t really happening... maybe the OP is quite the prankster... or who knows what but I’m reasonably certain that Azamara has lost my (2 cruises per year) business before I set foot on their ship in 3 weeks.

I resent the suggestion that we could make this up to cause difficulties for Azamara. Over the years Cruise Critic has been a great forum for sharing information, as this change happened on our watch so to speak we felt that we should pass it on.

Recently there has been a culture creeping in of shooting the messenger and at times the forum has been a nasty place to be. So in future we will not be seeking to participate and leave it to others to have their credibility questioned.

OK colour me still confused - if, for instance I wanted a Sea Breeze (shown as premium) and had it made with basic vodka (finlandia or smirnoff) rather than the fancy Ketel One vodka then it would be complimentary?

Thanks for originally posting Riocca and bringing this to out attention, and your credibility was never in doubt.

Thank you as well Bonnie for seeking clarification, and providing some degree of comfort.

I resent the suggestion that we could make this up to cause difficulties for Azamara. Over the years Cruise Critic has been a great forum for sharing information, as this change happened on our watch so to speak we felt that we should pass it on.

Recently there has been a culture creeping in of shooting the messenger and at times the forum has been a nasty place to be. So in future we will not be seeking to participate and leave it to others to have their credibility questioned.

Riocca I am sure that your participation and experience is much appreciated by many sensible people on this forum.

OK colour me still confused - if, for instance I wanted a Sea Breeze (shown as premium) and had it made with basic vodka (finlandia or smirnoff) rather than the fancy Ketel One vodka then it would be complimentary?

Yes it would be complimentary. I think the added confusion is that those cocktails previously listed as complimentary were not also on the paid for pages.

As others have said think this is a nightmare for the bar staff.

And Riocca I am very grateful for your contribution. Hope I would have done the same if Iwas on board when a change like this occurred.

Bonnie, thanks for getting back to us on this.

Just to be absolutely clear, the official statement is saying that the full list of included drinks, as set out in the website, is still available and included and that the only changes are 1) change of beer in the included drinks and 2) changes to the brands in the Premium and Ultimate drinks lists. Am I reading that right?

That’s really great news.

Riocca has taken time out of his holiday to keep everyone updated and as a result this has resulted in official clarification of the current position. That is to be applauded. Keep up the good work and keep posting for the benefit of us all!