Are Friends of Dorothy or GLBT parties standard on Carnival?

Schplinky

We were on the Triumph in September and they had FOD/GLBT meeting listed on the ship's program for the first day even, so I'd presume they do, unless someone requested one in advance.

Thanks.

Weird that you're in Ottawa, too!

Carnival in general has a inclusive policy concerning gay passengers and the GLBT/FOD gatherings. The actual decision whether to have a gathering us up to the Cruise Director on each ship. They also control what goes into the daily Carnival Capers.

Every cruise I have been on has included these gatherings, and they have been included daily in the Capers.

On my last cruise we had a group of about 25 gay men, the gathering was at a time that seemed inappropriate for us... so we spoke to the Cruise Director and asked him to change either the time or location, and he took care of it for the very next day.

Thank you and G'day Mate to CD Stuart Dunn... a prince of a man.

So, if for any reason there is not a FOD/GLBT gathering scheduled, please introduce yourself to the CD and request one. I am sure it will be done!

~K

• 2 months later...

My partner and I are going to be on Carnival Splendor on 4/18/10 - looking for other gay singles or couples to hang with. We've been on one other Carnival cruise, but didn't find any other GLBT friends, and would like to seek them out this time.

Let us know if you'll be on board - or have any tips for meeting others (we'll definitely request a FOD meeting witht the CD).

Happy sailing!

Ryan and Ed

• 2 weeks later...

My only complaint about their FOD parties, is that on the couple of recent cruises we've taken, they've put the parties in the piano bar, which makes it difficult to talk and get to know your fellow passengers, since the host is singing and playing the piano....you don't want to be rude to the entertainment....

FOD means Friends of Dorothy aka the chick who wore the blue and white checkered dress in the Wizard of Oz and sang about being somewhere over the rainbow.

Was on the Carnival Dream last week and FOD/GLBT was announced every night.

My partner and I are going on the Carnival Miracle 4/29/10-5/7/10 to PR, St. Thom, and Grand Turks.

Would be nice to meet other couples and make new friends. If you like dancing to club music that would be great too being that my BF is not into it and thinks I need to grow up and leave my past behind...LOL I absolutely refuse!! :)

If you like dancing to club music that would be great too being that my BF is not into it and thinks I need to grow up and leave my past behind...LOL I absolutely refuse!! :)

Ha ha. good for you... dance club music always puts me in a good mood.

wish we were on your cruise.. we'd have fun.

• 1 month later...
Or do you need to request them?

Most cruise lines offer the FOD events as part of their daily routine. Frequently they may only be on "at sea" days as is the case on Cunard, which we sail on. Port days there's no FOD events(as we're always out shopping etc.LOL)If you're in the "Grills" you can personally host your own FOD parties in your room by contacting the Concierge.The FOD events usually are at certain times. From there you could move the party to your room if there's enough space.

• 6 months later...

My partner and I took our first cruise, along with his mom, in March 2009 on Carnival Destiny, Western Carribean, and we were surprised to see this notice about Friends of Dorothy. We only went the second night but it was great to know it was there and we'll definitely look again when we take out second cruise, 27 February on Carnival Glory out of Miami. Great idea we think! Any of you on this cruise?

• 6 months later...

Good Afternoon.. My Partner & I cruise every year and always look for the FOD meetings.. Even though we never have met anyone at them at these meeting... Not sure if its the time of year, the cruises that we have been on, or if just no one has just shown up for the meeting when we were there.. We go.. Sit at the bar, order a drink and just hang out for a little while then go on our way.. A couple times we have seen a couple young (early 20's) guys show up look around then leave.. Never any women.. gUESS we are just too old of a couple..hehe..But I think we are some Hot Mama's..hehe.. We have been together 23 years.. But its always nice to meet up and chat with others single or couples.. Our next cruise is Sept 10, 2011 on the Carnival Dream.. We have a few friends going together and just plan on making our our little Party...hehe..

We will be starting our 2011 Europe trip on the Carnival Magic, 17-24 Jul 2011

We meet a bunch of folks on a Princess cruise a couple years back out of Long Beach to Mexico. Hope to meet some "family" on the Carnival Magic, next month. Never been on Carnival

• 2 weeks later...

They are pretty much standard on Carnival cruisings. You usually have to look for the in the capers. Sometimes they move the time around so you have to watch that. I reccomend at least going to a few of them on the first few nights even if not a lot of people show up. I have several great stories about them...

1) We got to know Nikki on the Carnival Glory and she was AMAZING as a bartender. In fact we have known her so long she is now married and back home in her country. She was amazing!

2) My last major cruise last year was Costa Rica and Panama - on it, I met about 12 guys that were all coupled. They were amazing and live just a few hours from me. One couple sing in the gay men's chorus in their area and we had a lot to talk about. We liked them so much we did excursions with them and gathered each night to hold court at the FOD meetings and talk to each other. It was TRULY so much fun!