Great Stirrup Cay - chairs and umbrellas?

Larainerenee

Yes there are plenty of places to sit.

Have a great time.

Keith

This may be true, but there were no seats available when we were there last week. There were two ships visiting the island. Do some research and if there is another ship visiting with you, you will want to be on one of the first tenders in order to get a seat at any of the close beaches.

We were on the Escape last week and the Sky was there with us. We had a small cabana. When we first arrived, there were plenty of chairs available at this beach. A few hours later, there were zero. People were walking past this beach to the next one (and many of them turning around and heading right back). People were carrying chairs from one area to another.

I will say that we went to the main buffet/BBQ in the noon hour and there were no major lines to speak of, so that is one area where they can handle the crowd. However, seats were scarce or non-existent there.

The crowd, walking in the sand (as opposed to walkways on Harvest Caye), the rocky entrance to the water, and the long, long waits on the top deck of the tender boats for the ride back made us decide that GSC is not for us.

I can understand why people like it -- but it wasn't built to handle the amount of people that were there at one time.

We rented clamshell and there were plenty to choose from. We were close to the bar and Taco stand. The buffet was a kind of long walk. We had a great day here. Bring water shoes b/c when tide goes out there is a lot of coral and rocks.

The buffet was good and my kids liked the tacos.

We were there on the Oceania Riviera last week, and as we were the only ship in it was very quiet. There was plenty of shade under trees, or from buildings. Also no need for aqua shoes on the first beach. The water was very calm, and the snorkeling was reasonable.

Just back, there were both umbrellas ($20 I think) and clamshells ($39) available in three specific areas of the island. The map was a bit deceiving and the middle set was way down by the cabanas. You can reserve them at the shore excursion desk onboard and I assume on the island of still available. But if you arrive early there are plenty of loungers in shaded areas. Also in the afternoon I saw people who hadn't paid for clamshells putting ones up not in use. I did get a 10% discount for the clamshells because I am a silver Latitudes member.

• 1 month later...
Did you find out? We are going next week and want to rent one

Yes, they were $39 but I asked for my Silver Latitudes discount so it was closer to $35 for me. Just a note that there maps showing the locations of the clamshells are incorrect. There is only one area on the very far right off the first beach (closest to where the ship is anchored), then another much farther down on the second beach. The map showed a second location on the first beach but it did not exist.

I reserved a clamshell to make sure my group could get onto one of the first tenders, but I don’t know if this was necessary, as I got there later than expected and the staff wasn’t checking tender times (that I could tell).

We rented clamshell and there were plenty to choose from. We were close to the bar and Taco stand. The buffet was a kind of long walk. We had a great day here. Bring water shoes b/c when tide goes out there is a lot of coral and rocks.

The buffet was good and my kids liked the tacos.

Where is this taco stand? Was not there last time we were there...