Family of 4 to Manhattan Terminal

lakelivin2

We are a family of 4. Never Been to New York and looking for some advice. We'd like to stay a couple of nights before our 2 week cruise (on the Escape ) visiting some sights. Question: can anyone suggest where to stay and park that would be convenient and not too expensive... the Hampton Inn that is recommended is unavailable for our dates.

We are driving in from Canada and need parking. Don't mind parking at the terminal, but, to stay in a hotel in Manhattan and park a couple of nights on top of that is very expensive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We are a family of 4. Never Been to New York and looking for some advice. We'd like to stay a couple of nights before our 2 week cruise (on the Escape ) visiting some sights. Question: can anyone suggest where to stay and park that would be convenient and not too expensive... the Hampton Inn that is recommended is unavailable for our dates.

We are driving in from Canada and need parking. Don't mind parking at the terminal, but, to stay in a hotel in Manhattan and park a couple of nights on top of that is very expensive.

What are the exact dates you need a hotel and are cruising? Can you live with 2 double beds for one night? If you're traveling with children, what are their ages?

I'm thinking you should drive from Canada and get a park/sleep hotel at Newark Airport that offers 14 days parking plus $10/day for extra days. These cost $153-$190 tax included for 4 people. I can recommend when I know your exact dates. Take an Uber or car service to your hotel in NYC.

Another option would be to park at Port Imperial for $20/day and take the ferry to 39th St for $9/adult each way plus cost of cab to your hotel.

Parking at the pier will cost you $400 and any extra NYC parking will run $50+ per day.

Unfortunately parking in Manhattan is expensive. You might look for parking near the terminal there are a lot of covered valet lots, your best bet may be to google for parking. There is also a small chance that a hotel might offer a deal that includes a stay plus parking (more likely in Brooklyn but worth a look). You didn't say the month you are looking to visit or the day of the week you will be arriving.

Believe it or not your best bet for a hotel might be one of the hotel search engines. I would probably be willing to stay almost anywhere south of 90th street although midtown Manhattan tends to be the most convenient. I would probably only stay in Manhattan. You could stay in NJ or maybe Tarrytown NY and take mass transit however I do not think it is worth it. I would also suggest NOT staying in Newark, NJ.

If you come up with a few locations I could give you better feedback. Since I live in the area I don't stay in Manhattan very often (I go in for the day) but know the neighborhoods reasonably well.

One option to save a couple of dollars is to stay in a hotel in Bergen County New Jersey the day you arrive in the area if it is going to be late at night. There are a lot of reasonably priced hotels in the county, decent restaurants etc. Then you can get a very, very, very, early start the next day (before rush hour gets bad or wait until it is over) and drive into Manhattan.

Manhattan is bad enough to drive in during the day, especially if you have not driven here before.

Thank you for the info. We are arriving in November right after your 'Black Friday' I believe, and that's why I need to book fairly quickly. My two sons are over 18 so, they are adults (sometimes...).

Exact dates? Just two nights Nov 23 and Nov 24? Bed size requirements?

What is your realistic budget for a Manhattan hotel?

Edited by 138east

Are you talking about the Hampton Inn in Ridgefield Park, NJ?

New York is dressed up for Christmas by black Friday (the day after our Thanksgiving). Weather can be hit of miss however a lot to do in the city. There can be snow. I would allow at LEAST 2 FULL days for exploring Manhattan, 3 days would be much better.

I would spend at least one night in a Manhattan hotel midtown or downtown for the experience. Again, I do NOT recommend downtown Newark.

You might look into parking in NJ and Uber to the cruise terminal. At 14 days it might be worth it. Or see what dates ARE available at the Hampton Inn. If it is available the night before the cruise just stay somewhere else before that.

If one of the things you want to see is Ellis Island and the Statute of Liberty it can be reached from BOTH Manhattan and New Jersey.

Rather then staying in NJ, I would say consider lower manhattan which is cheaper. Brooklyn hts has a few nice hotels, great restaurants and a subway ride- or Uber to pier and manhattan sights.

Enjoy your time in the Big apple. I vote you should stay in Manhattan and try to get discounted parking. Worth it if you have never been in Manhattan.

Exact dates? Just two nights Nov 23 and Nov 24? Bed size requirements?

What is your realistic budget for a Manhattan hotel?

Yes, it is for Nov. 23 and 24. Not even sure what a realistic budget should be so I'm hoping you might give me an idea. I don't seem to find anything other than double size beds (2). I'll be looking forward to getting onboard when we're in 2 rooms!;p;p;p

Rather then staying in NJ, I would say consider lower manhattan which is cheaper. Brooklyn hts has a few nice hotels, great restaurants and a subway ride- or Uber to pier and manhattan sights.

Enjoy your time in the Big apple. I vote you should stay in Manhattan and try to get discounted parking. Worth it if you have never been in Manhattan.

How do you get discounted parking?

Yes, it is for Nov. 23 and 24. Not even sure what a realistic budget should be so I'm hoping you might give me an idea. I don't seem to find anything other than double size beds (2). I'll be looking forward to getting onboard when we're in 2 rooms!;p;p;p

Look at the La Quinta on W 32nd St between 5th and 6th Ave - $534.85 including tax for two nights and 2 Queen beds. Walk to Empire State and up Broadway to Times Square. Free breakfast.

Join their club or use AAA to get additional discounts. It's cancellable, so I'd book it now to have a placeholder. I stayed there in January and was very happy with the hotel.

Look at the La Quinta on W 32nd St between 5th and 6th Ave - $534.85 including tax for two nights and 2 Queen beds. Walk to Empire State and up Broadway to Times Square. Free breakfast.

Join their club or use AAA to get additional discounts. It's cancellable, so I'd book it now to have a placeholder. I stayed there in January and was very happy with the hotel.

This is a good deal for sure and a good location. There is also the MTA M4 bus that will bring you up to anything above 32 Street all the way to the Cloisters. BUT if you choose this we will have to help you figure out where to park the car. Let us know if you book this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can sometimes get discounted parking in Manhattan if you commit to the 2 weeks in advance. Google searches and call the lot. You might be able to get 14 day parking for $300 near the port. FYI, a lot of people who live in Manhattan don't own cars because of the price to park.

The cheapest way to go that time of year is to stay the two nights just off route 80 in Bergen county. Probably half the price of staying in NY and free parking. About a 30 minute drive into and out of NY assuming no traffic. No traffic is not realistic however if you time it right (and use a traffic app) it may not be that bad. Even with the outrageous bridge/tunnel tolls and daily parking in NY for the day (park once near midtown on the west side and walk or take mass transit) you will still come out way ahead in terms of cost.

I do not think it is worth the hassle however: you might look into Hoboken parking near the Path train, possibly Weehawken near a water taxi (if they still run at that time of the year), another option believe it or not is to do long term parking at Newark Airport (currently $18/day in an uncovered lot) and take mass transit into NY ( NJ transit). Park there the day you arrive and pickup when you leave.

By the way, New York is a great walking city, even that time of year. If you like walking you can get to almost anywhere interesting in Manhattan by foot. You also miss a lot by riding the subway. The department store windows are dressed up for Christmas, ice skating in Rockefeller Center and Bryant Park. I don't think the tree will be lit in Rockefeller center until you're return.

Also, again consider the time you will reach Manhattan on the day you arrive. Toronto to Manhattan (without traffic) is 8 hours according to Google. While it is the city that never sleeps 9 PM is typically the cutoff for things to do if you don't drink (i.e., night clubs) and the drinking age is 21.

This means you realistically have one full day in NY. You will have about enough time to get a taste of Manhattan.

If you provide an idea of what you like to do I am sure you will get a lot of good suggestions.

The 23rd is Black Friday.

Hi,

We stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, in Ridgefield Park, NJ when we cruise from Manhattan. They have a stay and cruise package which includes leaving your car there while you are cruising (included in the cost), and a town car that will pick you up and drive you to the port. When the cruise is over, give them a call after you pick up your luggage and they will come and take you back to the hotel to get your car. Since there will be four of you, they will certainly have a larger vehicle to accomodate you and your luggage. You fill out a form at the hotel when you first arrive and tell them exactly when you wish to leave for the cruise port. They are always prompt. Love that the driver deals with your luggage as well.

We have done this three times already and will be doing it again in July. Since you are cruising for two weeks, give them a call or book online to see what the price will be and if there is availability.

Also included in the package is a full buffet breakfast.

You may find other hotels in NJ that also offer stay and cruise packages if you look around.

FYI, you picked a particularly expensive time to stay in Manhattan. If you decide you want to come back sans children you can definitely find less expensive dates if you look around.

Personally, I like Manhattan in spring, before the schools lets out and it gets too crowded.

The weather is usually pleasant, things aren't overcrowded and you can get better rates on hotel rooms.