Is Costa for us?

cds62

We are thinking of booking a cruise on the Magica. In the past we have sailed on Carnival, Princess and Disney cruise lines, but never Costa. Without being rude, what is the average age of the passengers on board? Is there nightly cabaret type entertainment in the lounges after the main shows in the theater? Any comparison or differences to the three previously mentioned cruises lines would help in our decision.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are looking for good entertainment, then Magica is NOT for you.

Compared to Carnival, here are the major differences

Costa Magica:

Same show twice a day (one of early sitting and one for late sitting)

No adult comedy at midnight

No karaokee bar

Music in night clubs mostly slow music, live performance in clubs mostly singing in Italian (exept in teen's discoteque)

Comedian in the main show, only one night

Las Vegas style show, only one night

Activity Director, not funny (at least in Costa Magica)

Day entertainment by the pool: A couple of silly competitions such as hula hoops, and some dancing)

No competition between different colors (very popular in Carnival)

Age average, like any other cruise it varies, but there were plenty of families (Costa had an offer where kids would travel for free)

It is defenetly not the party "atmosphere" you find in Carnival.

I hope this helps.

Jorge

We are thinking of booking a cruise on the Magica. In the past we have sailed on Carnival, Princess and Disney cruise lines, but never Costa. Without being rude, what is the average age of the passengers on board? Is there nightly cabaret type entertainment in the lounges after the main shows in the theater? Any comparison or differences to the three previously mentioned cruises lines would help in our decision.

I learned one thing !!!Do not belive any posts!!See it by yourself,special when it's comes to food or entertainment:p Only trust for technical questions.Carnaval and costa its the same cruise line:D We love costa,we never been on Carnaval,but I konw crowd is yonger there.

I learned one thing !!!Do not belive any posts!!See it by yourself,special when it's comes to food or entertainment:p Only trust for technical questions.Carnaval and costa its the same cruise line:D We love costa,we never been on Carnaval,but I konw crowd is yonger there.

We've been on 5 cruises- 4 with Carnival and 1 with Costa. The crowd on the Magica was a much older group. When we were on the ship in Jan.06 we noticed there weren't any discos open for adults (when I say disco I mean fast dancing music) until about 11:30pm. There were plenty of bars playing music to ballroom dance to. Which I will say many people really enjoyed. That's just not for us. It depends on what you like.

If you haven't already, please have a look at Cruise4Andy's review of the Costa Magica http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=15195

Please remember to keep an open mind; don't hold everyone's postings up as "gospel." People are here to share their impressions and experiences, and they certainly won't hold true universally.

We returned from Costa Atlantica on Jan 23/06. I plan to write a proper Member Review but to summarize quickly, I'd sail Costa again in a heartbeat! And there are probably others who were on the same sailing who would not agree. So there ya go...the beauty of Cruise Critic!

Good luck deciding and I hope you enjoy whatever you choose!:)

Archived