Significant birthday suggestions?

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:57 AM.
191 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
I'll be 60 in 2020 - gulp! We've cruised QV and QE but not done a TA on QM. Unless the lottery obliges, I'll still be working and stuck with the school holidays - 2 weeks at Easter, from end of June to middle of August and a week in October. Given we've always been stuck with those parameters, we've don't want to do the Mediterranean again. Any brilliant recommendations/suggestions for a maximum 14-17ish nights? The actual birthday doesn't come in any of those dates but I'll just designate a specific day to be the day!

Thanks

S
New York City
8,087 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
What about the Scandinavian Fjords. Wonderfully scenic and QM2 usually does a 7-night round trip from Southampton in June.

Jonathan
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Liberty of the Seas Review - 8/22/15
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2253857

Live from the Explorer of the Seas - 2/16/14
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1990840

Live from the Noordam Transatlantic - 4/5/08
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=749667

Cunard
QM2 x 7 - QE2 x 3 -
Franconia x 1 - Queen Elizabeth x 1
Royal Caribbean
Explorer x1 Liberty x 1 Quantum x 1 Anthem x3
Princess
- Regal x 2
Holland America Line
Rotterdam x 1 - Noordam x 2 - Eurodam x 1
Celebrity
Summit x 1
Royal Viking Line x 1
French Line - SS France x 1
Italian Line - Leonardo Da Vinci x 1
Mississippi Queen - x 1

Cunard Line - Platinum
RCCL - Emerald
East Lancashire
2,753 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Norway is beautiful so I would recommend that or round Britain if there is one that fits in with your dates.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QE2, 1991, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004 (twice) 2005, 2006, 2007 (twice) and 2008 (twice). Caronia 2002 and 2003, QM2 2009, 2010 (twice), 2011, 2014 and 2015, QV 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016, QE 2012 (twice), 2013, 2015 and 2017. Braemar 2015 (once was enough) Oriana 2017, Good but I still prefer Cunard.
82 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Could you narrow down your requirements a bit?

-Does it have to be Cunard?
-Should it be leisurely or adventurous?
-Do you plan to spend your kids' inheritance on it or do you have a fixed budget?
-Are intercontinental flights okay?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
There are two kinds of contemporary passenger vessels: The Queen Mary 2 and shoeboxes.
West Berkshire
95 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
I agree with cruiserking & Lanky Lad's recommendations. I've cruised to Norway more than anywhere else and never tire of its beauty.

If you want a mixture of majestic scenery and history & culture in abundance, then a Baltic cruise which includes Stockholm, is another option. You also get an overnight in St Petersburg - not my favourite place but many others love it.

Another advantage to traveling in this part of Europe is that the sun sets very late. I remember, St Petersburg in August, and taking a stroll in the setting sunshine on the deck after a late dinner, with the ship docked alongside. Everyone was taking photos despite the dire warnings not to do so! With Cunard now doing the occasional overnight stay in Olden, Norway, you could spend the late evening admiring the breathtaking views (providing it doesn't rain - as happened to us last year!).
Market Harborough, UK
830 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Originally posted by Csardas
I'll be 60 in 2020 - gulp! We've cruised QV and QE but not done a TA on QM. Unless the lottery obliges, I'll still be working and stuck with the school holidays - 2 weeks at Easter, from end of June to middle of August and a week in October. Given we've always been stuck with those parameters, we've don't want to do the Mediterranean again. Any brilliant recommendations/suggestions for a maximum 14-17ish nights? The actual birthday doesn't come in any of those dates but I'll just designate a specific day to be the day!

Thanks

S
I don't know about 2020 but there is a very interesting TA in 2019 going north up to Iceland before crossing the Atlantic down through Canada to New York. Look at M921 - I think I fancy that myself.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Trevor Lake
London, UK
1,922 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
The other half is also celebrating his 60th birthday but in less than two weeks. We booked into a Queen's Grill suite on a Transatlantic on the QM2. Great minds think alike.

Some expensive wines will be drunk.
Bournemouth
96 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Just back from a “bounce around the bay” as Captain Hashmi called it. Queens Grill stern cabin. 60th birthday 2nd night. Brilliant!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Vale of Glamorgan
4,385 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Looks lovely, I hope you had a wonderful time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Bournemouth
96 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Originally posted by Aspidestra99
It's my 60th birthday when we're on QE later this year. I am going to show my dh the picture of your lovely cake. You never know..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app

I had a birthday in the Britannia restaurant on the QM2 about 5 or 6 years ago and was given a cake then as well, but not as big as this one!! Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums