Sharing Wi-fi Across Devices?

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:24 AM.
Leeds
204 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Hi
I think I once read how someone was able to share the onboard wi-fi on several devices using an accessory (wifi router?) so can anyone provide more details on how this works please?
I'm just thinking that there may be time when we all want to use our devices at the same time on our forthcoming cruise and whether there is a way to overcome "taking turns" (i.e. login on one device, then logout on that for the next user etc.).
Thanks in advance.
Damian
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
To come:
Ventura N921 Canaries
Britannia B017 Mediterranean
Already enjoyed:
Carnival once, NCL once, P&O x 21
Edinburgh
3,686 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
There is absolutely no way of taking turns. I buy a package for the whole cruise and if I forget to log out on my phone, I get a message if I try to use my iPad. The only way round it is buy more than one package.

I usually do longer cruises with lots of sea days but on a recent European cruise I just used my own 3G / 4G connection on my phone and iPad. I have Feel At Home on 3 and there is a long list of countries where I pay no more than my usual contract. It includes the USA fro example
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Still to come:
P&O Aurora USA and Canada 16th September 2018
P&O Ventura Bermuda, USA and Caribbean 5th February 2019
P&O Oriana Spain, Corsica and Italy, 17th September 2019. CANCELLED BY P&O
Celebrity Infinity Adriatic, Sicily and Spain, 24th August 2019
P&O Ventura USA and Caribbean February 2020
Warwickshire, England
1,755 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
You can buy a travel router that connects to the ships wifi, you can then connect to the router with as many devices as you want. Netgear do one which I have and works fine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Aurora 2004 - Sun Princess 2005 -QE2 2006 - Oceana 2007 - Grand Princess 2007 - Oriana 2008 - QM2 2008 - Grand Princess 2009 - Voyager of the Seas 2009 - Oceana 2009 - Oriana 2010 - Star Princess 2011 - Grand Princess 2012 - Oceana 2012 - Grand princess 2012 (again) - Ruby Princess May 2013 - Ruby Princess October 2013 - Emerald Princess May 2014 - Grand Princess November 2014 - Anthem of the Seas June 2015 - Britannia Dec 2015 - Emerald Princess May 2016 - Britannia Dec 2016 - Oceana 2017 - Royal Princess June 2018 - Caribbean Princess October 2018
55 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
Originally posted by CCFC
You can buy a travel router that connects to the ships wifi, you can then connect to the router with as many devices as you want. Netgear do one which I have and works fine.
A couple of questions. Having checked online for travel routers they range from around £20 to £250, in your experience how much should be paid for one that works ok on a ship?
Secondly, what is their range on a ship, do devices have to be reasonably close to the router to pick up the wifi?
Thanks for any advice.
Warwickshire, England
1,755 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
I paid £25 for a Netgear Trek N300, its only really useful in the cabin though you can take it with you. If you find a plug it will work anywhere.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Aurora 2004 - Sun Princess 2005 -QE2 2006 - Oceana 2007 - Grand Princess 2007 - Oriana 2008 - QM2 2008 - Grand Princess 2009 - Voyager of the Seas 2009 - Oceana 2009 - Oriana 2010 - Star Princess 2011 - Grand Princess 2012 - Oceana 2012 - Grand princess 2012 (again) - Ruby Princess May 2013 - Ruby Princess October 2013 - Emerald Princess May 2014 - Grand Princess November 2014 - Anthem of the Seas June 2015 - Britannia Dec 2015 - Emerald Princess May 2016 - Britannia Dec 2016 - Oceana 2017 - Royal Princess June 2018 - Caribbean Princess October 2018
Leeds
204 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by CCFC
Great, this is what I had in mind (I omitted the key word "travel" when I referred to a router) and it is good to know that it will work (just in the cabin will be fine).
Thanks very much & all the best.
Damian
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
To come:
Ventura N921 Canaries
Already enjoyed:
182 Posts
Joined May 2018
You need a travel router that has WISP mode, not all do, and one that allows you to set the MAC address.

This allows you to sign in with your phone or tablet to the network you want to share through the popup webpage, then spoof the MAC address of your phone/tablet to the router.

The router then connects to the network and as it has the phone/tablets MAC the network thinks it is the phone/tablet which authenticated through the webpage.

WISP mode both connects to the network and provides a WiFi hotspot for other devices to connect, as with a normal router.
Leeds
204 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by picsa
You need a travel router that has WISP mode, not all do, and one that allows you to set the MAC address.

This allows you to sign in with your phone or tablet to the network you want to share through the popup webpage, then spoof the MAC address of your phone/tablet to the router.

The router then connects to the network and as it has the phone/tablets MAC the network thinks it is the phone/tablet which authenticated through the webpage.

WISP mode both connects to the network and provides a WiFi hotspot for other devices to connect, as with a normal router.
Great info, thanks very much.
Damian
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
To come:
Ventura N921 Canaries
Already enjoyed: