Don't go on cruise without?

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:07 AM.
Co. Durham
115 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Blister plasters

Mini flameless candles (put a couple in the bathroom on a night and there is no need to put the light on)
Favorite bar of chocolate (I'm not a dessert lover but do love some chocolate)
Definitely books, there isn't any choice on the ship, either in the library or the shop. When I have read them I give them to the cabin steward, they have some bookshelves which the staff can pick from.
Magnifying glass to fix the small screws in glasses and small screwdrivers for same purpose.
UK
1,395 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
I've never found it useful to take the 'cruise essentials' that people talk about (check the New Cruisers forum!) such as highlighters, duct tape, over the wall shoe holder, extension cable, washing line, magnets etc. I took them on our first cruise then never used them.

However, if you plan on sunbathing then I find beach towel clips useful- you can get them around £1 for 4 on ebay. Cruise ships are windy!

But, when sharing a cabin- especially an interior with no window or balcony door to open- my number 1 essential is a bottle of VIPOO
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jan 2016 NCL Epic Canaries, Morocco and Madeira My review of our Epic First time cruise
Oct 2017- NCL Escape Western Caribbean
April 2018- MSC Meraviglia Italy, France and Spain
Oct 2018- Independence Of The Seas mini cruise Paris & Bruges
December 2018- Crown Princess Eastern Caribbean Voyager
August 2019- P&O Britannia Norwegian Fjords
Dorset, UK
9,092 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by the english lady
You don't need to take a huge 4 way gang with all those plugs and leads..instead just take a 4 or 6 way usb hub. only take up 1 socket and we charge all of our stuff ok. takes up less space less weight..and you don't need all the plugs, just the leads for the items. I got our off of amazon..rav 4 I think. so impressed we use it at home all the time as well.
Thanks for that - definitely useful for phones, tablets etc but we have some items which aren't USB - both our cameras have battery chargers with 3 pin plugs also my hair tongs and with only one socket I think we would struggle without a 4 way.
UK
592 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by kruzseeka
Thanks for that - definitely useful for phones, tablets etc but we have some items which aren't USB - both our cameras have battery chargers with 3 pin plugs also my hair tongs and with only one socket I think we would struggle without a 4 way.
They are also a good idea if the usb socket is at the bottom of the plug. The sockets are too close to the table top.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Spirit of Discovery 02/20
Sapphire Princess 08/18
Oriana 04/18
Adonia 04/18 - cancelled by P&O
Aurora 05/17
Arcadia 05/16
Arcadia 08/15
Britannia 05/15
Adonia 05/14
Oriana 08/13
Aurora 09/12 - America & Canada
Aurora 05/12
Azura 08/2011
Ventura 04/2011
Azura 06/2010
Aurora 06/2008
104 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
- My Kindle (loaded with tons of stuff)
- Nail clippers. I hate it when my nails get above a certain length (being a bloke).
- Quality sliced cheese - since they took it off the room service breakfast menu.

I was also going to make a joke about taking a spare pair of underpants on cruises in excess of 7 days, in case something happend to my main pair. But I thought it might seem a tad tasteless and decided against it. This is P & O after all
Wirral, England
2,152 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
This thread reminds me of our younger days when the only holiday we could afford was under canvas. The one thing essential for a camping holiday then was always the matches - can have as much cooking equipment, tins and other food to cook with you, but no good at all without the matches, which were very easily forgotten!!

Anyone else have a similar holiday history
5 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Ear plugs in case your cabin has noise (machinery or other passengers) or vibration.
Flip flops or slippers for your cabin; I asked for some and got some but they are not a given sadly
First aid kit - I tripped, fell and cut my elbow aboard the Britannia. On the phone to the medical staff they told me to go to the shop and I was left to fend for myself. Treated very poorly. So antiseptic wipes and plasters as a minimum.
Sun cream - everything in the shop is so expensive.
Kent, England
6,626 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Checking you have locked the back door!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare now more seats not loungers please

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 4
P&O Azura x 1
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 10
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
Marella Discovery x 3
NCL Epic

To come
Marella Explorer Sept 2018
Marella Dream Jan 2019
Marella Explorer April 2019
Marella Explorer July 2019
Marella Explorer 2 Oct 2019
Carlisle, Cumbria, UK. No Carlisle is not in Scotland
680 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by richard_london
Ear plugs in case your cabin has noise (machinery or other passengers) or vibration.
Flip flops or slippers for your cabin; I asked for some and got some but they are not a given sadly
First aid kit - I tripped, fell and cut my elbow aboard the Britannia. On the phone to the medical staff they told me to go to the shop and I was left to fend for myself. Treated very poorly. So antiseptic wipes and plasters as a minimum.
I never leave the house without wipes and plasters, never mind a cruise! A hangover from when kids were little.
Medical Centre did you a huge service by directing you to the onboard shop. You would have had little change from £100 if they had treated you.
Southampton, UK
101 Posts
Joined May 2018
This won’t apply to you Kat, but a common one for men is cufflinks!!! Lots of formal shirts, no cufflinks..... Just enjoy it though, whatever you forget you will manage without
Staffordshire
1,279 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by FraserK
Love these replies!!!

Cuff links are on my list for hubby.

Kat
I keep a pair in my travel jewellery case because my husband is incapable of remembering them and I have been known to forget to remind him that he will need some.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wirral, England
2,152 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by richard_london

P&O slippers are given to people who are Mediterranean level and above in the Peninsula Club as one of the perks.

Regards first aid, I agree with Fanged Rose it would normally cost a lot of money for the medical team to deal with you. However, if you had tripped and fallen onboard, to my mind that leaves them with a certain liability and I would be making sure it was noted as an accident at the very least and would not expect to pay for medical treatment if they could have been held responsible for the injury.

I got a piece of glass in my toe from a P&O dance floor a few years back and needed the doctor to remove it. I was told that I would have to pay for the medical treatment, but could write to P&O head office when I returned home. After my insistence the "accident" was well documented though (I think at the medical centre to make sure proof of the injury was logged). I also put strong written objections into reception that I had been made to pay (£50) for the doctors attention in the first instance (via our on board account) for something caused by their ineffectual cleaning. After I got home I was able to recover the cost of the medical treatment from head office. I assume I may also have been eligible for compensation, but I did not bother to pursue that as I was fine after the small piece of glass was removed. Of course an injury can also have other effects later (infection etc.) so always worth making sure an injury is noted in case you want to claim at a later date.
Stoke on Trent, England
5,554 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
The pin number to your husband's credit card ;-)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:

Celebrity Constellation : 20.08.18 : Adriatic and Greek Island Cruise
P&O Oceana 05.04.18 : Eastern Med fly cruise
P&O Ventura 15.08.17 : Spain & the Greek Islands
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:12 : Adriatic / Venice
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:11 : Eastern Med/Holy Land
P&O Oceana August 2010 : Western Med
Ocean Village 02:08:09 : Eastern Med / Crete
Louis Cruises August 2001 : Egypt
Virginia
382 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by Presto2
Oh my! That's a new one! LOL
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Staffordshire
1,279 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by Presto2
Love it. I already know his debit card pin. 😇😇
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Stoke on Trent, England
5,554 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Josy1953
Love it. I already know his debit card pin. 😇😇
If I am honest I have NO idea what my pin is for our credit card --- hubby does as it is a joint one!
He handles all of the money side of things as we'd be broke if he didn't !

I suppose I don't need the pin number, I just give him the 'big wide eyed' looks like the cat from Shrek and hey presto (if you excuse the term), he uses the pin number ...

Re the look -- if you don't know what it is, practise ladies ----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LbumSMoQK8
;-)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:

Celebrity Constellation : 20.08.18 : Adriatic and Greek Island Cruise
P&O Oceana 05.04.18 : Eastern Med fly cruise
P&O Ventura 15.08.17 : Spain & the Greek Islands
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries