Boarding, Luggage, and First Seating

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:29 AM.
The Sargasso Sea
587 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
She Who Must Be Obeyed and I will be boarding the QM2 in Hamburg after four weeks on land in Europe. We would rather cruise back to North America than fly. We are having our bag of "cruise clothes" shipped to the ship by a luggage forwarding service so that we don't have to drag around smart casual and gala clothes all over Europe. We are traveling in steerage, our assigned boarding time is 3:00 PM, and we have 6:00 PM seating for dinner. Now to my question:

Can we count on our bags being delivered to our cabin in time to dress for dinner according to their dress code, and if not, do they "relax" the dress code on the first night to accommodate such situations?

Thanks in advance. We are looking forward to a more genteel way to get home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Brooklyn, NY, USA
760 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Unless for unseen reasons, we have alway found our luggage intact together in our cabin on entering our cabin after boarding.

Best on boarding the ship, take a look around and grab something to eat and by that time you should see the luggage in your cabin. And yes the first night dining dress code (informal) is understandable with all settling in to the routine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Luv Cruising,
BklynBoy8 "Eddie"
Cunard WC - Diamond Member
Booked....QM2 - 7 Day Canada/NE Jun 30th - Jul 7th, 2019 (Independence Day Sailing)
including the Port of Newport, Rhode Island

Sailed in the Past - Cunard, HAL and Chandris Lines
(QE2, QM2, Caronia, Rotterdam, Qx Anna Maria & Ellis)
The Sargasso Sea
587 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by BklynBoy8
Unless for unseen reasons, we have alway found our luggage intact together in our cabin on entering our cabin after boarding.

Best on boarding the ship, take a look around and grab something to eat and by that time you should see the luggage in your cabin. And yes the first night dining dress code (informal) is understandable with all settling in to the routine.

Many thanks, BklynBoy6.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Southlake, Texas
216 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
SaragassoPIrate--when do you sail? We embark in Hamburg on Oct. 16. We are doing the same thing with shipping a bag as we will be traveling for three weeks prior. We've opted for late seating so think we'll be okay.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ML

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Mark Twain

Save
Save
The Sargasso Sea
587 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by mljatsea
SaragassoPIrate--when do you sail? We embark in Hamburg on Oct. 16. We are doing the same thing with shipping a bag as we will be traveling for three weeks prior. We've opted for late seating so think we'll be okay.
We sail August 17. I'm hoping everything will fall into place and we'll be properly dressed for dinner.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Brooklyn, NY, USA
760 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Think Postive...and Bon Voyage...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Luv Cruising,
BklynBoy8 "Eddie"
Cunard WC - Diamond Member
Booked....QM2 - 7 Day Canada/NE Jun 30th - Jul 7th, 2019 (Independence Day Sailing)
including the Port of Newport, Rhode Island

Sailed in the Past - Cunard, HAL and Chandris Lines
(QE2, QM2, Caronia, Rotterdam, Qx Anna Maria & Ellis)
82 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Originally posted by SargassoPirate
We sail August 17. I'm hoping everything will fall into place and we'll be properly dressed for dinner.
Hamburg is not a full turnaround, you might even be lucky enough to get afternoon tea.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
There are two kinds of contemporary passenger vessels: The Queen Mary 2 and shoeboxes.
The Sargasso Sea
587 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Shuffleboard Dude
Hamburg is not a full turnaround, you might even be lucky enough to get afternoon tea.
So, not being a full turnaround means there will less of a crush to board? Hmmmm? Maybe we should plan on showing up early and see what happens. We have to check out of our rental apt. at 11 anyway.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
101 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
In addition to our regular, checked suitcases, we are going to have a couple of rolling carry-ons. (We'll be in NYC for 2 days prior to our cruise.) If luggage appears quickly in our, I am assuming I can probably have those "checked" at the port when we arrive, so we only have to carry on the back packs. Does that make sense? Thanks again for all of the wonderful advice!
Staten Island NY
1,231 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by CynthiaRI
In addition to our regular, checked suitcases, we are going to have a couple of rolling carry-ons. (We'll be in NYC for 2 days prior to our cruise.) If luggage appears quickly in our, I am assuming I can probably have those "checked" at the port when we arrive, so we only have to carry on the back packs. Does that make sense? Thanks again for all of the wonderful advice!

I used White Star in 2014 when I did my first transatlantic and the big suitcase with my tux, etc. was in my cabin when I got to my room. That being said first night dress code was more relaxed. I was fine in a sports jacket, slacks and a collared shirt. I wore the jacket on plane so I had it with me and didn't have to pack it. Packed really light for the 6 days in London before I sailed, everything in one 22" suitcase and a backpack. I carried on and all was good. Those were the days...

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Cruises So Far...
Norwegian Jewel June 2011
Norwegian Breakaway May 2013
Norwegian Gem January 2014
Cunard QM2 May 2014 ....My first transatlantic, coming home from jolly old England!
Norwegian Sun November 2014
Norwegian Epic January 2015
Norwegian Sun May 2015 .... Finally cruised to Alaska!
Norwegian Getaway October 2015.....Finally made PLATINUM!
Norwegian Escape January 2016
Norwegian Breakaway. May 2016.....first time in the Haven!
Norwegian Epic November 2016....Haven again!
Norwegian Breakaway February 2017
Norwegian Gem October 2017....first Canadian cruise

The only thing better than being on a cruise, is looking forward to one!