Parking at Brooklyn terminal for westbound crossing

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:27 AM.
Pittsburgh, PA USA
328 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Good morning,

Does anyone out there have any experience with parking their vehicle at the Brooklyn Cruise terminal before a westbound crossing so that the car is conveniently waiting nearby when the crossing is over?

I just wasn’t sure if they allow you to park on days where there isn’t a cruise departure. I was planning on parking the car, then getting a ride to JFK for the flight to Europe.

Anyone out there ever done this for a westbound QM2 crossing? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
North Babylon (Long Island), New York
23 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
From the website: https://www.nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/parking/

Parking Information

Parking at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is on the south side of the terminal entrance overlooking the Statue of Liberty.
Parking at the Cruise Terminal is a revolving system. The ships arrive between 7:00am–8:00am, and passengers who have parked at the terminal are often finished with customs and off the property by 10:00am–10:30am, freeing up parking spaces.
On-site Parking is open, and the Porters are available by 9:00am. Most vehicle traffic at the terminal is from buses, shuttle service, taxis, drop-off, and pick-up.
There are spaces to park RVs, buses, and larger vehicles on the main level of the terminal near the Security Main gate.
If you have any further questions, please call 212-641-4440, Monday through Friday, 8:30am–5:30pm.
Parking discounts and coupons are no longer accepted (effective July 1, 2017).
Parking RatesShort Term (Up to 4 Hours)$20.00Overnight Rate (Up to 24 Hours)$25.00Reservations are not needed to park and taxes are included in the rates. Parking resides in an outdoor lot with security. There is no upcharge for sport utility vehicles.
Payment is accepted by cash and the following major credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express.

Drop-off/ Pick-up Car Before/After Cruise
  • Please keep your ticket with you during your cruise.
  • At the completion of your cruise, please take your ticket to one of the blue pay station machines. These machines are located inside the terminal exit and at the pedestrian entrance to the parking lot.
  • Bring cruise ticket and parking ticket to show guard to gain access to the lot.
  • Parking fees must be paid before driving to the exit gate.
  • If you need a cab after drop-off, call Future Car Group car service at (718) 858-1234 and tell them to pick you up at “Pier 12” and wait at the Guard Booth.
Pittsburgh, PA USA
328 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Thanks for the info. I’ll give them a call, since that is a bit unclear if it’s possible to park when it isn’t an arrival/departure day. I’d be trying to park there about 10 days before my westbound transatlantic so the car is there when I return.

Pittsburgh, PA USA
328 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by Cruise NH
Hi sstepson

Could you post the answer here when you get it? Thanks .

Absolutely...will do.

704 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
We are in a similar situation in October, flying from Newark returning westbound QM2.
Trying to evaluate costs and difficulty of where to park and transport on one leg of the trip.
Pennsylvania
6,303 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by sstepson
Thanks for the info. I’ll give them a call, since that is a bit unclear if it’s possible to park when it isn’t an arrival/departure day. I’d be trying to park there about 10 days before my westbound transatlantic so the car is there when I return.
It does give instructions on being picked up by a cab after parking, and it mentions that the lot is guarded on non-ship days. By all means verify but I think you'll be fine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 8 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
ms Eurodam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Pittsburgh, PA USA
328 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Here’s the response I received from the Brooklyn cruise terminal. I guess we’ll be parking at the airport...
—————————————

Good morning - sorry we do not accept vehicles on non-cruise days.

midwest
995 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
We have left our car at the Brooklyn parking lot three or four times. The last time was November 2016. The longest period was for a month. It isn't covered parking, but our car was safe, sound, and conveniently nearby each time. One time we had to call someone because the self-payment didn't work. Another time, someone was there in person (we wondered it she was pocketing the money). All in all, though we wouldn't hesitate to use the dock-side parking again. It worked just fine for us.

Happy Sailing!
New Hampshire
797 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by jimmybean
We have left our car at the Brooklyn parking lot three or four times. The last time was November 2016. The longest period was for a month. It isn't covered parking, but our car was safe, sound, and conveniently nearby each time. One time we had to call someone because the self-payment didn't work. Another time, someone was there in person (we wondered it she was pocketing the money). All in all, though we wouldn't hesitate to use the dock-side parking again. It worked just fine for us.

Happy Sailing!
We've done the same for long periods of time but we sailed eastbound and westbound on the ship. The OP was only sailing westbound and there was no ship in port the day they were leaving the usa - so he's out of luck.
New Jersey
261 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by sstepson
Good morning,

Does anyone out there have any experience with parking their vehicle at the Brooklyn Cruise terminal before a westbound crossing so that the car is conveniently waiting nearby when the crossing is over?

I just wasn’t sure if they allow you to park on days where there isn’t a cruise departure. I was planning on parking the car, then getting a ride to JFK for the flight to Europe.

Anyone out there ever done this for a westbound QM2 crossing? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Steve

I have parked at the long term parking lot at JFK. Wasn't bad. Not sure it is cost effective compared to other options for a really long term.