QM2 westbound Crossing -must do's?

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:17 AM.
Sherwood Forest-England
213 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by kohl57
Bring along a copy of John Maxtone-Graham's "The Only Way to Cross" (the copy in the library will probably be gone by the time you get there), find a nice proper deck chair and unless it's pouring with rain, sit outside and savour the subtle pleasures of a good book, the damp salt air of the North Atlantic and the most sublime of all destinations: mid Atlantic on an ocean liner.
Hitting the LIKE button
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed
QM2 x 17, QV x 5, QE x 3, Arcadia x 2, Azura x 1, Oceana x 2
101 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Bring along a copy of John Maxtone-Graham's "The Only Way to Cross" (the copy in the library will probably be gone by the time you get there), find a nice proper deck chair and unless it's pouring with rain, sit outside and savour the subtle pleasures of a good book, the damp salt air of the North Atlantic and the most sublime of all destinations: mid Atlantic on an ocean liner.

Every day I learn something new. Just ordered. Crossing fingers and toes that it arrives before we fly out next Wednesday!
Kansas City -- janet AT haskett DOT org
636 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
In the US, I was just able to get a used copy from Amazon for $5.23 total. I’m thrilled. Thanks so much for mentioning the book!
UK
2,212 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Just ordered my copy from Amazon. Apparently it was the last one in stock. Suspect all the others have gone to readers of this thread
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
2018 Southampton-San Francisco - Cunard. 2017 Eastbound T/A - Cunard. 2016 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Bahamas & Florida - NCL: 2015 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2014 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Norway/Iceland - P&O: 2013 Canary Islands - NCL: 2011 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2011 Southern T/A - Celebrity: 2011 Australasia - Princess: 2009 Australia/New Zealand - Royal Caribbean: 2005 Norway - Louis Line: 2004 Alaska - Celebrity: 2000 Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean
18 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Thanks all - lots of suggestions!!
Tried to get a copy of the book but couldn't get it delivered before we go - fingers crossed I can get hold of the library copy!
101 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by babs135
Just ordered my copy from Amazon. Apparently it was the last one in stock. Suspect all the others have gone to readers of this thread

LOL! You're probably right! I ordered yesterday and it shipped out that same day. Crossing fingers it arrives by Tuesday. I didn't pay for extra shipping, deciding to risk it!
3,034 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
It is all mentioned, it is all written- but don´t forget - simply doing " nothing and nothing at all" can be heaven. Let your soul drift look out to the sea and enjoy...! One thing though, once you have crossed the pond on board the one and only true ocean liner- you are spoiled for any other ship that is doing so and will be most probably disappointed!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Boston, MA, USA
213 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Your post has caused the level of excitement I feel for my upcoming back-to-backs in August to go up a notch. Several notches, actually. I need deck chair therapy NOW!
Lincolnshire, UK
77 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by Sikwemu
Hitting the LIKE button
Just ordered a hard back used copy for a fiver from Amazon. Ready for our back to next Easter
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lincolnshire, UK
77 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by fourmile.ranch
Great tip! Picking up a copy off Amazon for our November crossing. Thanks!
Just ordered a used hard back copy for a fiver from Amazon. Ready for our back to back trip next Easter.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New Rochelle New York
56 Posts
Joined May 2006
I am getting my copy off of eBay. It will be arriving next week. My back to back - NYC - Southampton- NYC sails on Easter Sunday. M909A. I am looking forward to the book, read it now or save it? I am trying not to start packing my bags as yet. Antsy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tennessee Squire tommy k
1 Posts
Joined Jul 2018
Hi Katie

We'll be on that sailing and we will have our 17 year old with us too - he is so worried he will be the only teen on the ship so happy to hear he won't be! Read all the great tips - lots more to do that we thought!
22 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Our copy arrived today also! Like-new condition from Amazon. For $5 we may leave it for an extra copy in the library. Thanks for the suggestion Kohl57!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jason & John
Next up: Queen Mary 2 Cunard November 2018, Round-trip Transatlantic Crossing

Marco Polo Orient Line August 1999, Black Sea (Last solar eclipse of the millennium)
Queen Mary 2 Cunard November 2016, Westbound Transatlantic Crossing
Queen Mary 2 Cunard November 2017, Round-trip Transatlantic Crossing