BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:44 AM.
25 Posts
Joined May 2003
Is it best to purchase a internet package before our cruise date or wait to see if there are any specials when we board? Thanks much😀
Coastal GA USA
23,741 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
You will get bonus minutes if you purchase the first day. But if you purchase online before your board, you will get double the amount of bonus minutes. The only time it does not make sense is if you get free minutes for your loyalty level. EM
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Celebrity Equinox 08/25/18
Carnival Splendor 1/14/18 13 nites
Carnival Elation 12/11/17 5 nites
Carnival Fascination 10/8/17 4 nites
Carnival Magic 8/26/17 8 nites
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
Lihue HI & Calimesa CA
6,502 Posts
Joined May 2013
Be aware that ship internet is glacially slow (before global warming ).
Depending on the itinerary, you could be wasting a bunch of $$.
If you can wait until you're in port for your internet update, you'll be $$ ahead. Almost all ports have free, low cost or "buy a beer and connect to our WiFi".
Northern California
2,342 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by JF - retired RRT
If you can wait until you're in port for your internet update, you'll be $$ ahead. Almost all ports have free, low cost or "buy a beer and connect to our WiFi".
I second this comment.
The internet is terribly slow. I have wasted SO many minutes trying to check email or do something for work. Wifi has been terrible, even if I go into the internet cafe. The best times to access are late at night when everyone is asleep.
I have used all my free loyalty minutes trying to do about 20 minutes of work and then had to use what was left of DH's loyalty minutes to check us into our flights!

Be prepared to not be able to get much done with whatever you decide to do regarding internet time. Good luck! I look forward to the day that we hear how fabulous Princess wifi is.
21,698 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by JF - retired RRT
or "ask a ship's crew for location".
RAMSEY, NJ
1,144 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by jennybenny
I second this comment.
The internet is terribly slow. I have wasted SO many minutes trying to check email or do something for work. Wifi has been terrible, even if I go into the internet cafe. The best times to access are late at night when everyone is asleep.
I have used all my free loyalty minutes trying to do about 20 minutes of work and then had to use what was left of DH's loyalty minutes to check us into our flights!

Be prepared to not be able to get much done with whatever you decide to do regarding internet time. Good luck! I look forward to the day that we hear how fabulous Princess wifi is.
Been a while since our last Princess cruise but currently considering a Regal Princess sailing. Is slow internet an issue fleet-wide? On Royal and X was impressed with their fast internet. Cost of unlimited package also seemed reasonable at $199 for 14 days after 30% loyalty discount.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FUTURE:
Viking Star - NY to Carib 10/18/18
Celebrity Silhouette - Carib 3/15/20

PAST:
Celebrity: Zenith '93, Century '95, Millenium '02, Eclipse '14 '16, Reflection '14, Infinity '15 (PC), Summit '16, Equinox '17 (2x) (Mardi Gras), Expedition '17
Royal: Grandeur '97 '99 '00 '18, Mariner '08, Explorer '06 '08 (Xmas) '10 '11 '12 '13, Oasis '12, Quantum '15, Liberty '15, Anthem '16. '18
Princess: Caribbean '05, Crown '07, Island '10 (Alaska)
Carnival: Victory '03, Legend '04
Staten Island ferry: thousands and thousands of sailings
COLORADO
60,372 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
You won't save much either way. Maybe 20-40 free minutes.
As stated don't count on the internet to much it's pretty bad.
We get free minutes and the last few cruises I have given up and left many minutes on the table.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member

67 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32
Northern California
2,342 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by Baron Barracuda
Been a while since our last Princess cruise but currently considering a Regal Princess sailing. Is slow internet an issue fleet-wide? On Royal and X was impressed with their fast internet. Cost of unlimited package also seemed reasonable at $199 for 14 days after 30% loyalty discount.

I've noticed this issues on The following Princess ships in the last 16 months: Royal, Grand (two different sailings), Ruby, and Crown.

I've not been on Royal Caribbean is many years and never on X. My friend did a Carnival cruise last year and got the social media package and was constantly posting cruise updates. So her experience was positive on that line.

My experience with Princess has been 2 am works well for internet use but Who wants to do that?!?! However from 7 am to 4 pm when I tried to look things up for next port of call, open email, reply to email, etc we were slow as molasses. I was extremely frustrated and disappointed in the quality of Wifi. Plus I used to have to turn in an electronic timecard even on vacation and THAT was impossible from my laptop! I had to search for the URL and sign in from an Internet cafe computer.

In the past I had found proximity to the Internet cafe helped (piazza or in the Internet cafe area) but my last 3 cruises even that was unsuccessful. I would say Princess Internet is a joke.
I promise to report if I ever have a positive wifi experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
League City, TX
42,369 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
CCL and Celebrity only sell unlimited packages. On CCL the cost is reasonable (it was $90 for 11 days for the package I had which was the "value" package that allowed web surfing, but not streaming). On Celebrity the cost is about $23/day.

Princess does not have an unlimited package and only sells packages of minutes.
21,698 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by Baron Barracuda
I find it slow compared to our wifi at home. But it is just enough for me to check my emails.
up north
118 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
On Crown last week, there was an offer, but it was ONLY available on your first login of 100 minutes for $20 or 200minutes for $40 this is on top of any loyalty minutes you may have for being platinum/or elite. you could not buy more minutes at this rate once you had used them up, only REALLY expensive packages or PAYG at $0.79 minute.

Edited to say that in the last couple of days there is an end of cruise offer for 15min for $8.99 - if that helps

RCI are way ahead of Princess in terms of internet service
Northern Virginia / DC Metro
98 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
If you plan to use the Internet on board, then it is best to purchase a package before the cruise. You will receive some extra minutes.

We're just off the Caribbean Princess (British Isles). I purchased the 200 minute package before the cruise just as I did last year on Regal Princess. There are 40 bonus minutes added to this package (Note: You must claim the bonus minutes at the Internet cafe.) Internet service on board can be slow. It is best later at night or early in the morning when fewer passengers are using it. I sat directly under routers a few times.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Caribbean Princess - British Isles, 2017
Carnival Sunshine - Southern Caribbean 2017
Regal Princess - Baltic 2016
Carnival Valor - Western Caribbean 2016
Norwegian Dawn - Bermuda 2010
Carnival Pride - Bahamas 2010
Carnival Miracle - Eastern Caribbean 2008
Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean 2007
Carnival Miracle - Western Caribbean 2006
Erling Jarl - Norwegian Coastal Express 1972
Federal Palm - Southern Caribbean 1966
P&O Oriana - Panama Canal 1965
Manana II – Alaska Inside Passage 1962
Matson Mariposa - South Pacific 1961
up north
118 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
I think the prepurchase was $99 + $3.50 activation for 200mins + 40mins bonus, on board on first login it was $40 for me for 200mins, so still cheaper than prepurchase in my case
Palm Harbor, FL
13,493 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Britcruzer15
On Crown last week, there was an offer, but it was ONLY available on your first login of 100 minutes for $20 or 200minutes for $40 this is on top of any loyalty minutes you may have for being platinum/or elite. you could not buy more minutes at this rate once you had used them up, only REALLY expensive packages or PAYG at $0.79 minute.

Edited to say that in the last couple of days there is an end of cruise offer for 15min for $8.99 - if that helps

RCI are way ahead of Princess in terms of internet service
Anyone been on the Crown recently that can report if the same offer was available? I only get 150 minutes for Platinum level and I know I need more. If I can add 200 minutes for $40 I will be all set! The price is higher if I buy before I leave for the Med.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda
'Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.' ~Dean Koontz

1,117 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
I enjoy telling people that I will be unavailable. Why should I pay so someone that I don’t want to communicate with can reach me. My free Elite minutes are for my personal use.
League City, TX
42,369 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by LEtue
Anyone been on the Crown recently that can report if the same offer was available? I only get 150 minutes for Platinum level and I know I need more. If I can add 200 minutes for $40 I will be all set! The price is higher if I buy before I leave for the Med.
You can wait until you are on board to see if the offer still exists. If not, then you could purchase the extra minutes separately. Not that if you pre-purchase the extra minutes you will be also be paying the signup fee that you do not have to pay when you use your Platinum minutes
Inland Empire, CA
10,846 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by LEtue
Someone recently posted screenshots showing that the offers to platinum members at first sign-in of $25 for 100 additional minutes or $40 for 200 additional minutes are still available.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruise: 09/18 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific Crossing
Past Cruises: 11/17 - Ruby Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 11/16 - Pacific Princess - Adriatic & Aegean Connoisseur; 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera; 2/15 - Crown Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Santa Barbara; 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Left cruise in Mykonos after 6 days due to family medical issue at home); 03/14 - Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF; 01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic; 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal; 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal; 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm); 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal; 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera; 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers; 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise); 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise); 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii; 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera; 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston; 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL; 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan; 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)