Is the Princess fleet getting a little...dated?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:32 AM.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,801 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by forgetfulnancy
Everyone who agreed that some ships need a facelift, do you ever submit the post-cruise feedback? I make sure to (I hate to be the nagging cruiser) but I feel like since Princess still sells out sailings they might not feel the urgency to address these concerns so long as their bookings aren't affected. I wish the cruise industry executives were more involved in social media. Not quite sure if the post-cruise surveys sit right next to the trash bin
They're to busy thinking up new ways to cut back on the existing features so they can charge more money for the same thing or introduce new dining venue's so they can charge additional.
I've pretty much given up on filling out the surveys since in all the years of filling them out have never seen one thing good come out of it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
772 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by kendon
I'd like to call Princess "traditional" rather than "dated".
Lol.....that's like saying HAL's passengers are getting hipper.....well maybe more hip replacements.......
6,321 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by floridalover5623
I've pretty much given up on filling out the surveys since in all the years of filling them out have never seen one thing good come out of it.
There is a dilbert cartoon where the employee suggestion box is located directly over the shreader.
I think the surveys are pretty much the same thing.

Over the years, several people working on board have told me that getting mentioned by name (in a positive) way is
beneficial to them. So, I do try and do that...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
12 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Originally posted by floridalover5623
They're to busy thinking up new ways to cut back on the existing features so they can charge more money for the same thing or introduce new dining venue's so they can charge additional.
Spot on! I appreciate the option of specialty dining but do we really need any more food on board? As far as surveys, I remember we sailed with a grand-kid who was allergic to the ham used in the ham&cheese croissants at the Int. Cafe. The chef said they were pre-made early in the morning so there was nothing that can be done. We filled out the Hotel Manager's feedback cards nightly asking if they would just make 2 or 3 croissants with just cheese. Never happened and we gave up midway through sailing.
Riverside, CA
3,053 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by pablo222
There is a dilbert cartoon where the employee suggestion box is located directly over the shreader.
I think the surveys are pretty much the same thing.

Over the years, several people working on board have told me that getting mentioned by name (in a positive) way is
beneficial to them. So, I do try and do that...
We were contacted once about a review on a security item we noted, so they do get read.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
EMAIL me if you dare (I don't bite) In Google Chrome, if the email link does not take you to your email page, just right click the link, select copy email. In Explorer select Properties and copy the address.

Future:
Coral Princess Pacific Rim Sept to Nov 2018
Royal Princess Mexican Riviera April B2B with Royal Princess Coastal Wine Cruise May 2019
Princess Only:
Ruby Princess Alaska 2018: Crown Princess Coastal 2016; Star Princess 2016 South America; Caribbean Princess 2015 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2015 West Coast Getaways; Ruby Princess 2014 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2014 Coastal; Golden Princess 2013 Coastal; Royal Princess 2013 Inaugural Grand Med; Sapphire Princess 2012 Mexico; Crown Princess 2010 Iceland/Norway; Golden Princess 2009 Coastal; Star Princess 2009 Sydney to LA; Star Princess 2009 Alaska; Sapphire Princess 2009 Coastal; Island Princess 2008 Panama Canal; Golden Princess 2008 Mexico; Golden Princess 2007 Mexico; Regal Princess 2007 (Last Sailing) Hawaii ; Island Princess 2005 Hawaii; Star Princess 2003 Mexico; Princess 2000 Canada/New England; Star Princess 1995 Caribbean; Princess 1995 Europe; Royal Princess 1994 Caribbean; Star Princess 1993 Alaska;
Others:
Northern Europe Fr, Ir, UK, Nor, Den, Bel; Pacific Coastal (3); Bermuda; Mexico (2); Alaska
13,592 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
My friend who worked as a theatre tech on a cruise ship told me about the benefits he got from positive guest comments--in one case he got a $100 bonus (and I actually saw the check stub for that one), another time he and a friend were comped eating in the specialty restaurant. So they aren't necessarily little things. A server told me that he can get anything from an extra hour off on a port day to a promotion, and that the ratings for the entire "team" determine who gets the best shifts on the next cruise. I didn't realize they had "shifts," I thought they all worked their hearts out all the time! But obviously they consider some assignments to be better than others.
12 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Originally posted by moki'smommy
My friend who worked as a theatre tech on a cruise ship told me about the benefits he got from positive guest comments--in one case he got a $100 bonus (and I actually saw the check stub for that one), another time he and a friend were comped eating in the specialty restaurant. So they aren't necessarily little things. A server told me that he can get anything from an extra hour off on a port day to a promotion, and that the ratings for the entire "team" determine who gets the best shifts on the next cruise. I didn't realize they had "shifts," I thought they all worked their hearts out all the time! But obviously they consider some assignments to be better than others.
The first time I cruised and saw that my waiters who served dinner were up working at the buffets during sunrise made me feel really bad. Ever since noticing that I made sure to tip them and any other staff extra. That was my "little bit extra" tipping wake up call
Canada
1,455 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by Gmucha
I too feel the ships are getting a little dated. I appreciate the traditional cruise experience vs the amusement park, but feel the condition of the ships are deteriorating. We sailed Ruby in 2009 shortly after it was launched. The experience was magical. We just sailed Ruby to Alaska and have to say that the ship is tired. The staterooms were dirty, carpet was worn, and they smelled of mildew. Other parts of the ship had a constant septic system odor. Dining room offerings were excellent but the buffets were lackluster. Only half the hot tubs were open at any one time. Overall decor of the ship has changed little since our first sailing. My mother remarked about the overuse of browns and beiges.
I'm aligned with you on this ... I don't want Princess to become RC or Carnival, but I do find myself wishing for a more modern decor. As you state, too many browns and beige ...also tones of honey oak, teals, basically the decor of the 1990s. We are back to Princess again later this week after 2 HAL cruises (and the last of which we really found the meals to be not as enjoyable as in the past, hopefully just an anomaly as we aren't that picky!). As I was looking at photos and getting geared up for the experience, this decor issue came to mind yet again. We are in a mini suite, paying a premium and I know that the SpringHill suites we are staying at pre-cruise looks more current ... ah well, the ocean will still be beautiful decor!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kate

Sailing Star Princess 07 2018

21 cruises & counting (Princess, HAL, Carnival, RC)
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,801 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by TheRabbit
We were contacted once about a review on a security item we noted, so they do get read.
The comment cards on the ship are taken seriously, it the surveys they email after you cruise that are worthless.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
League City, TX
41,839 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Spot on! I appreciate the option of specialty dining but do we really need any more food on board? As far as surveys, I remember we sailed with a grand-kid who was allergic to the ham used in the ham&cheese croissants at the Int. Cafe. The chef said they were pre-made early in the morning so there was nothing that can be done. We filled out the Hotel Manager's feedback cards nightly asking if they would just make 2 or 3 croissants with just cheese. Never happened and we gave up midway through sailing.
I suspect that if you had spoken to the Maitre d' that he could have arranged it.
4 Posts
Joined Jul 2018
Originally posted by caribill
I suspect that if you had spoken to the Maitre d' that he could have arranged it.
If the feedback cards are truly read wouldn't the hotel manager have passed it onto the appropriate person in charge? I remember those hotel manager cards requesting stateroom declaration as well to follow up.
uk
7,312 Posts
Joined Oct 2008

Well I will try your suggestion next month as I would prefer just the cheese too .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Grand Princess - Alaska - August 2018
Eclipse - Southern Caribbean - December 2017
Reflection - Western Med - July 2017
Millennium - Hong Kong to Singapore - December 2016
Constellation - Venice to Rome - August 2016
Equinox - Istanbul to Barcelona - August 2015
Equinox - Ultimate Caribbean & Panama - April 2015
Independence - Northern Europe - Oct 2014
Infinity - Iceland & The Faroes - July 2014
Independence - Caribbean - April 2014
Silhouette - Eastern Caribbean - B2B - April 2014
Enchantment - Bahamas. - Aug 2013
Oasis - Western Caribbean - Aug 2013
Solstice - Oz & NZ - Dec 2012
Navigator - Eastern Med - Aug 2012
Brilliance - Norway - Jun 2012
Navigator - Eastern Med - Oct 2011
Caribbean Princess - New England - Aug 2011
Liberty - Med B2B - April 2011
Liberty - Med Western - April 2011
Constellation - Baltics - Aug 2010
Splendour - Med to Venice - April 2010
Radiance - Alaska - Aug 2009
Brilliance - Canaries & Morocco - April 2009
Navigator - Med - May 2008
Brilliance - Venice Med - Aug 2007
jacksonville fl usa
4,393 Posts
Joined Aug 2000

I don’t believe the International Cafe has a Maitre ‘d.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Tampa, Florida area
12,409 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Personally, I am just fine with the Princess ship's décor. Pastels and light woods are way preferable to over-the-top gaudy and glitzy. If one is observant, one would notice that in addition to periodic dry docks, the crews of Princess ships are constantly cleaning and performing maintenance chores both while at dock in ports, and as we sail along. I certainly don't feel the ships are neglected.
I'm one of the fortunate ones who has cruised with Princess enough to receive the perks of the Elite level, which I appreciate very much, but I would choose to continue to cruise with Princess, even without those perks, because I like the sort of experience that Princess already provides. Cruising on gigantic gaudy ships with their own theme-park-like atmosphere is definitely not my style of travel.
I wish people would quit trying to goad Princess into changing and becoming more like other cruise lines any more than it already has. Choose to cruise Princess because you are happy with the way they are, rather than trying to push them to become like the other guys, or maybe you should just choose to cruise with those other guys.

JMHO
Suwanee & Ellijay, Georgia
983 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by flamomo
Personally, I am just fine with the Princess ship's décor. Pastels and light woods are way preferable to over-the-top gaudy and glitzy. If one is observant, one would notice that in addition to periodic dry docks, the crews of Princess ships are constantly cleaning and performing maintenance chores both while at dock in ports, and as we sail along. I certainly don't feel the ships are neglected.
I'm one of the fortunate ones who has cruised with Princess enough to receive the perks of the Elite level, which I appreciate very much, but I would choose to continue to cruise with Princess, even without those perks, because I like the sort of experience that Princess already provides. Cruising on gigantic gaudy ships with their own theme-park-like atmosphere is definitely not my style of travel.
I wish people would quit trying to goad Princess into changing and becoming more like other cruise lines any more than it already has. Choose to cruise Princess because you are happy with the way they are, rather than trying to push them to become like the other guys, or maybe you should just choose to cruise with those other guys.

JMHO
Couldn't have said it better

We want to feel like we are on ship and like the nautical themes princess has on it's older fleet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
David & Ellen
----------------------------------------

Caribbean Princess 1/2020 - Panama Canal
Caribbean Princess 2/2019 - Eastern Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 7/2019 - Canada & Colonial America
Caribbean Princess 10/2018 - Southern Caribbean Melody
Coral Princess 8/2017 - Alaska Southbound ....... Review & Pics ..................
Caribbean Princess 2/2017 - Western Caribbean ......... Review & Pics ............
Coral Princess 2/2016 - Panama Canal ......... Review & Pics .............
Emerald Princess 11/2015 - Western Caribbean
Vision Of the Seas 6/2014 - Western Caribbean
Coral Princess 2/2014 - Panama Canal
Sapphire Princess 9/2013 - Alaska
Golden Princess 9/2012 - Alaska
Golden Princess 9/2011 - Alaska
Celebrity Century 2/2009 - Caribbean
South Florida & Shenandoah Valley, VA
6,359 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by jagsfan
I don’t believe the International Cafe has a Maitre ‘d.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
There is only one Maitre'd per ship.
632 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
you could go to the buffet and just make yourselves a croissant with cheese.
My kid loved the croissants with plain butter at the buffet. Takes 5 seconds to make - you split one with a knife and put butter inside. 1 more second to put a slice of cheese in.

I love my croissants with cream cheese and smoked salmon, but it wouldn't occur to me to go fill out a card at the IC for THEM to make me one or two the next morning. I went to the buffet and made some myself.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Independence, Liberty, Navigator, Independence of the Seas - 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014.
Regal Princess - 2016 and 2017.
Caribbean Princess - 2016.
Royal Princess in November 2018 - maybe.
Allure of the Seas - March 2019.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,801 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by capriccio
There is only one Maitre'd per ship.
I've always considered him being in charge of all the dining options on his ship having the head waiters report directly to him.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
New Cumberland,PA, USA
30,157 Posts
Joined May 2000
My message to the OP is that you should stick with RCI, Carnival or NCL! Not all cruise lines want to have water slides, go karts, climbing walls, etc. In fact, a large majority of cruise ships and lines do not ever put that stuff on their vessels and generally have no interest. Even the newest Princess ships (Royal Class) do not have things like Flow Riders. In fact, if Princess were to start putting that kind of stuff on their vessels they would likely drive many of their fans to other lines.

Hank
12 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Originally posted by Itchy&Scratchy
you could go to the buffet and just make yourselves a croissant with cheese.
My kid loved the croissants with plain butter at the buffet. Takes 5 seconds to make - you split one with a knife and put butter inside. 1 more second to put a slice of cheese in.

I love my croissants with cream cheese and smoked salmon, but it wouldn't occur to me to go fill out a card at the IC for THEM to make me one or two the next morning. I went to the buffet and made some myself.
The International Cafe panini presses these ham&cheese croissants, which makes them Ham&cheese croissants. It wouldn't be a grilled cheese if you put a slice of american between two slices of bread straight from the bag. We only saw croissants at breakfast and cheese plates during lunch and dinner. Buffet closes at night, IC is open 24 hours. But really it wasn't a big deal the child was fine with eating everything else that he could get his hands on. Didn't want them bad enough to save croissants from breakfast and bring it to the IC for the hot press at night. We figured the cards may benefit other cruisers as well if management decided it would be a good idea to offer that option (similar allergies, religious preference, or lacto-ovo vegetarians). I brought up the experience because we were discussing if feedback makes it way through all the bureaucracy.