Taking alcohol on board

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:17 AM.
Scotland
547 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by grapau27
The RC cocktail hour is every night too.
We are also D+ on RCI but enjoy our January cruise on Azura to Caribbean because of direct flights from our local airport. Just to summarise are we not able to buy gin at airport to take on board?
Never take booze on RCI because of nightly happy hour and gift of wine awaiting in our stateroom.
Thank you
Sunderland England
9,772 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Scotland01
We are also D+ on RCI but enjoy our January cruise on Azura to Caribbean because of direct flights from our local airport. Just to summarise are we not able to buy gin at airport to take on board?
Never take booze on RCI because of nightly happy hour and gift of wine awaiting in our stateroom.
Thank you
I understand P&O allows 1 bottle per person when boarding.
London
374 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by wowzz
I litre each, to be precise.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

And.......will that be allowed on Azura if there is a drinks package? I think not.
No other cruise line that has AI packages allows even a drop of alcohol to be brought on board!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sun Princess - Caribbean 2005
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2006
Emerald Princess - Caribbean 2008
Sea Princess - Caribbean 2009
Crown Princess - Caribbean 2010

Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Med 2012
MSC Lirica - UAE/Oman 2014
MSC Splendida - Western Med 2014

Anthem of the Seas - Transatlantic 2015
Ovation of the Seas - UAE/Oman/India/Malaysia/Singapore 2016

Queen Victoria - Greek Islands/Montenegro 2016
MSC Divina - Caribbean 2016/2017
P&O Oceana - Croatia 2018
[COLOR=rgb(128,0,128)]P&O Azura - Caribbean New Year 2018/19[/color]

Kent, England
6,626 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by Caravan 37
And.......will that be allowed on Azura if there is a drinks package? I think not.
No other cruise line that has AI packages allows even a drop of alcohol to be brought on board!

Try Marella, they do!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare now more seats not loungers please

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 4
P&O Azura x 1
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 10
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
Marella Discovery x 3
NCL Epic

To come
Marella Explorer Sept 2018
Marella Dream Jan 2019
Marella Explorer April 2019
Marella Explorer July 2019
Marella Explorer 2 Oct 2019
2,906 Posts
Joined Feb 2005

its only a trial and people will have to purchase it..I would take it while trialing it and its a purchasable extra they will still let people take drink onboard. If they decide to go fleet wide I think they will join the rest and stop you taking drinks onboard at that poing. I am not sure how popular it will actually be. intresting that they are trying it out on a large ship with a younger age demographic..what sort of % would they sell on Aurora or Arcadia say.
Sunderland England
9,772 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by the english lady
its only a trial and people will have to purchase it..I would take it while trialing it and its a purchasable extra they will still let people take drink onboard. If they decide to go fleet wide I think they will join the rest and stop you taking drinks onboard at that poing. I am not sure how popular it will actually be. intresting that they are trying it out on a large ship with a younger age demographic..what sort of % would they sell on Aurora or Arcadia say.
Great point.
Dorset, UK
9,092 Posts
Joined Feb 2008

I would have thought it would be in their interests to let you bring your own drink on board (the more the better from their perspective) as presumably if you have a limit on what you can, or will drink, then you'll be drinking less of their drinks which you have already paid for in your cruise price. Or am I missing something?
London
374 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by kruzseeka
I would have thought it would be in their interests to let you bring your own drink on board (the more the better from their perspective) as presumably if you have a limit on what you can, or will drink, then you'll be drinking less of their drinks which you have already paid for in your cruise price. Or am I missing something?

If you were buying a drinks package you wouldn’t be needing to bring alcohol onboard - my point was that most cruise lines (apart from Marella apparently) don’t allow you to bring drink on board if there is a drinks package on board, whether you choose to buy it or not.

Just an observation - who knows what they’ll actually do - time will tell!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

London
374 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
If you were buying a drinks package you wouldn’t be needing to bring alcohol onboard - my point was that most cruise lines (apart from Marella apparently) don’t allow you to bring drink on board if there is a drinks package on board, whether you choose to buy it or not.

As others have said - usually when drinks packages are introduced the cost of buying individual drinks goes up as a way to try and make the package seem better value and then you can’t bring drink onboard by the litre

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Whitley Bay, North East England
7,247 Posts
Joined Nov 2006

Not entirely sure that the other lines not allowing booze on board had anything to do with drinks packages.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720
Azura A728 Azura A729
Ventura N801 Oriana X807

To Come

Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Ventura 20
Aurora 20
Aurora 20
Aurora 20

Gan Canny

Dai
Dorset, UK
9,092 Posts
Joined Feb 2008

As I read your post which said 'No other cruise line that has AI packages allows even a drop of alcohol to be brought on board!', I took the AI to be part of the cruise package but if there is the option to buy into the AI or not then I can see the rationale.
Warwickshire, England
1,755 Posts
Joined Sep 2012

Princess let you take a bottle onboard too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Aurora 2004 - Sun Princess 2005 -QE2 2006 - Oceana 2007 - Grand Princess 2007 - Oriana 2008 - QM2 2008 - Grand Princess 2009 - Voyager of the Seas 2009 - Oceana 2009 - Oriana 2010 - Star Princess 2011 - Grand Princess 2012 - Oceana 2012 - Grand princess 2012 (again) - Ruby Princess May 2013 - Ruby Princess October 2013 - Emerald Princess May 2014 - Grand Princess November 2014 - Anthem of the Seas June 2015 - Britannia Dec 2015 - Emerald Princess May 2016 - Britannia Dec 2016 - Oceana 2017 - Royal Princess June 2018 - Caribbean Princess October 2018
London
374 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by CCFC
Princess let you take a bottle onboard too.

One bottle of wine ‘for special occasions’ not a litre of spirits each? Unless they’ve changed their policy recently?

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

London
374 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by daiB
Not entirely sure that the other lines not allowing booze on board had anything to do with drinks packages.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really? What else would be the reason other than that you don’t drink in your cabin and therefore buy less or none of their bar drinks or packages thereby reducing their bar profits?

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2,906 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by kruzseeka
You are missing something. The trial will be as a chargeable extra, and if they do bring it in fleet wide I think it will continue to be a chargeable extra. With the adults only ships being an older demographic, with all of their medication, I would not think there would be a large take up of it. I don't think they will include it in the prices. Too many older people would not be able to make use of it.
Scotland
1,316 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
You are missing something. The trial will be as a chargeable extra, and if they do bring it in fleet wide I think it will continue to be a chargeable extra. With the adults only ships being an older demographic, with all of their medication, I would not think there would be a large take up of it. I don't think they will include it in the prices. Too many older people would not be able to make use of it.
I agree with your thinking however it appears that P&O are actively going after a younger market. Consequently if they do inclusive AI as part of the cruise fare rather than an added extra and “older people would not be able to make use of it” then it might just suit them nicely thank you very much.

They don’t actually want the ships filled with non drinking older folks who have typically done all the excursions before, don’t use the spa and don’t buy the rubbish on the tat tables. They want to make money at the bar either via the AI packages if the trial is successful or through non AI (probably increased in price) bar sales.

Older, (usually quite loyal to the brand) customers are not who or what the newer ships are designed for. As the older ships leave the fleet so will many of the more traditional cruisers.
Dorset, UK
9,092 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Yes I replied to Caravan 37, post #873 who explained that it was in effect an optional extra in which case I accept that my argument doesn't follow. I'd taken the general comment about AIS on other cruiselines to be part of the package which some are - and that creates a different scenario.
Dorset, UK
9,092 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by Eglesbrech
I agree with your thinking however it appears that P&O are actively going after a younger market. Consequently if they do inclusive AI as part of the cruise fare rather than an added extra and “older people would not be able to make use of it” then it might just suit them nicely thank you very much.

They don’t actually want the ships filled with non drinking older folks who have typically done all the excursions before, don’t use the spa and don’t buy the rubbish on the tat tables. They want to make money at the bar either via the AI packages if the trial is successful or through non AI (probably increased in price) bar sales.

Older, (usually quite loyal to the brand) customers are not who or what the newer ships are designed for. As the older ships leave the fleet so will many of the more traditional cruisers.

I think you make some very valid points and sadly agree with your final paragraph. I think we may be amongst the exodus.