Mysterious Charges After Cruise

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:07 AM.
Lancashire... UK
1,115 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Onelung
I have only sailed on Celebrity but they lock the mini bar on the last night so you can't take anything even if you wanted to. Do P&O do this? Celebrity also allow you to keep track of your account on the interactive TV.

As I said, I've not sailed P&O (yet) but I'll be sure to bear this in mind.
Hi....there is no need to lock ours as I get the steward to empty it as soon as board the ship on day one so we can't possibly have used anything.

P&O don't lock the mini bars on last night
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Oceana Caribbean Dec 2010
Princess Star Mediterranean Sept 2011
P&O Azura Caribbean Dec 2011
RCI IOTS Canaries April 2012
Princess Caribbean Round Britain May 2012
P&O Oceana Canaries Nov 20112
Celebrity Infinity Norway & Fjords May 213
Princess Crown Mediterranean July 2013
P&O Ventura Mediterranean Oct 2013
Thomson Spirit Ireland May 2014
MSC Magnifica Northern Cities Sept 2014
MSC Splendida Northern Cities Sep 2016
P&O Azura Fjords Sept 2017
P&O Azura Spain,Portugal & France April 2018
Thomson Discovery European Experience Sept 2018
P&O Azura Fjords April 2019
MSC Preziosa Northern Europe & Iberian Coast May 2019
P&O Ventura Netherlands,Belgium & Guernsey July 2019
P&O Ventura Spanish Cities & Portugal Sept 2019
Durham, UK
271 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Seems like a good money spinner for P&O, on Celebrity you can check your bill on the tv, I don’t think this is the case on P&O?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Britannia - Canary Islands, Spain & Portugal 23 September 2019
P&O Britannia - France, Spain & Guernsey 20 April 2019
Celebrity Silhouette - Ireland & Iceland 18th August 2018 - Aqua
Celebrity Eclipse - Scandinavia & Russia 18th June 2017 - Aqua Cabin 1549
Celebrity Eclipse - Western Mediterranean 3rd September 2016 - Aqua Cabin1549
Celebrity Eclipse - Norwegian Fjords 9th May 2015 - Aqua Cabin 1549
UK
336 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Very interesting! We have done many cruises over the last few years with multiple cruises lines, but this has only happened to me once........ on my only P&O cruise in April on Azura.

We had two small amounts charged after we checked out, just less than £3 for the ‘mini bar’ and £7 odd, which was a total puzzle. I took it up with them and they said my husband had spent this in the Spa. If they knew him they would know what a joke this was - toiletries from Lidl and supermarket own-brand shower gel 😄! We had never set foot in the Spa. Eventually they agreed to send me a cheque for the amounts.

What is going on at P&O that this is such a common occurrence? I didn’t want this hassle after a nice cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2019: Celebrity Equinox (B2B E & W Caribbean), Celebrity Eclipse (Ultimate Alaska)
2018: Celebrity Silhouette (Ultimate Caribbean), P&O Azura (Spain, Portugal), Sapphire Princess (Spain, France), Celebrity Eclipse (Italy and Greek Isles), Rhapsody of the Seas (Greek Isles)
2017: Celebrity Reflection (Caribbean), Celebrity Infinity (Panama Canal), Royal Princess (Western Med), Navigator of the Seas (Canaries)
2016: Regal Princess (Caribbean), Viking Forseti (France), Viking Star (Fjords and Baltic), Celebrity Equinox (Greece & Turkey), Disney Magic (Mediterranean), Disney Magic (Transatlantic), Vision of the Seas (Greek Isles)
2015: Disney Magic (Caribbean), Grand Princess (Alaska cruise-tour), Celebrity Constellation (Italy etc) x 2, Viking Sun (Rhine), Splendour of the Seas (Greek Isles)
2014: Disney Dream (Bahamas)
2013: Viking Idun (Danube)
England
1,383 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by leehal
Seems like a good money spinner for P&O, on Celebrity you can check your bill on the tv, I don’t think this is the case on P&O?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
You can check your account on the TV on Ventura and Azura (but not Britannia for some odd reason) BUT that doesn’t resolve the problem being discussed on this thread. The issue isn’t the on board account (which I have always found to be correct), but spurious charges that are made to your credit card a few days after your cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 162 nights over 15 cruises (Arcadia, Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 55 nights over 3 cruises (2018 - Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
J807 Arcadia 1/7/18. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
15 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.
I was billed £3.50. Called to query and was told that this was 'cabin services'
I did not touch the minibar, disputed this amount and they did refund it easily enough.

At the start of the cruise, I did notice however that there were some items detailed on the mini bar price list but missing from the fridge....chocolate if I remember correctly.
It makes me wonder if the cabin steward did not accurately keep a record of the contents and that we were charged for these missing items.
2,870 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
On one of the FB pages there is quite a long thread about this. There are numerous reasons why they do not seem to be in a rush to sort this out (it does happen a lot)

The amounts are small so we don't bother to query it, or it will cost more to ring and chase it.
I don't check my bank account after the bill has been paid so don't know if there has been any other charges.
As it is, it is just pin pricks with the odd person either emailing or ringing to say whats this amount .
As they are quite quick to answer messages on the official Pando FB page I suggested that every one uses that. It costs nothing and if they suddenly had 100's or 1000's of messages saying whats this extra amount they will know they have a problem. While loads let it go, they will not see it as a problem. For what its worth I think it should be an option on booking,,do you want a mini bar..no..on boarding fridge is empty.
Sunderland England
8,733 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Selbourne
Bit of an odd one this, but the following has happened to us after our last 3 or 4 P&O cruises and I’m interested to know if this is a widespread problem.

We returned from a cruise on Arcadia on Sunday. My credit card was charged with the correct on board account balance, as per my closing statement, but then a day or so later a random additional charge was made.

On this occasion it was £3.20 but on our last few cruises it has been even less than that. In all cases, the charge has been an error, as I religiously keep all receipts and check off against the on board account and all spend has always been shown on the closing account. We never buy anything on the last morning and we never touch anything in the mini bar throughout the entire cruise.

Because the amounts have always been small, I haven’t bothered to pursue them, as I have figured that the cost of the call would be as much or more than the erroneous charge, but this is now happening like clockwork and, if this is happening to lots of other passengers, this is resulting in a tidy sum of money for P&O (or the staff member, if it is a fraud).

Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes.
It is often a bottled water charge from room service.
There was a long thread on Royal Caribbean about this too where lots of us were charged approximately $6 for a litre bottle of water which was not used.
After many complaints RCCL got room service to take the 2x1Litre bottles of still water from customers cabins.
England
1,383 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by the english lady
On one of the FB pages there is quite a long thread about this. There are numerous reasons why they do not seem to be in a rush to sort this out (it does happen a lot)

The amounts are small so we don't bother to query it, or it will cost more to ring and chase it.
I don't check my bank account after the bill has been paid so don't know if there has been any other charges.
As it is, it is just pin pricks with the odd person either emailing or ringing to say whats this amount .
As they are quite quick to answer messages on the official Pando FB page I suggested that every one uses that. It costs nothing and if they suddenly had 100's or 1000's of messages saying whats this extra amount they will know they have a problem. While loads let it go, they will not see it as a problem. For what its worth I think it should be an option on booking,,do you want a mini bar..no..on boarding fridge is empty.
Thanks for sharing. I don't use Facebook (personally, I think it does far more harm than good), but it's very interesting to know that this is a very big problem (as confirmed to me by P&O)!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 162 nights over 15 cruises (Arcadia, Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 55 nights over 3 cruises (2018 - Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
J807 Arcadia 1/7/18. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
Lancashire... UK
1,115 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Thanks for sharing. I don't use Facebook (personally, I think it does far more harm than good), but it's very interesting to know that this is a very big problem (as confirmed to me by P&O)!

Hi Selbourne....so if it is a big problem which is known to them why are they dragging their feet in getting sorted out. It does make you wonder with it being to their financial advantage not to get it sorted.

On an earlier post on this thread someone had done the maths and just on the Ventura for the rest of this year it came to well over £90,000....reckon up over the entire fleet for the whole year....it could end up being well over a million pounds!!! and for the few....like me... who do actually " complain" about the paltry sum they hand out ....just a few quid in OBC that goes back to them anyway....no wonder they are dragging their feet. It really needs everyone to complain and be reimbursed plus OBC ....bet the problem would be sorted out instantly
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gloucestershire
341 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
This charge relates to the large bottle of water which is left in the cabin. I know because it happened to me and as soon as I said £3.24, they said that was the one litre bottle of water. We have has the same problem on three cruises with Cunard and yes they do refund it, but thats not the point. I wonder how many people never check their bank statements and don’t realise they have been charged..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Oriana 2018
Queen Mary 2 2018
Queen Mary 2 2018
Oriana 2017
Queen Victoria 2017
Rhapsody of the seas 2016
Niuew Amsterdam 2015
Oceana 2014
Queen Elizabeth 2014
Costa Atlantica 2012
Costa Deliziosa 2011
Arcadia 2010
Oriana 2009
Century 2008
Aurora 2008
Navigator of seas 2007
Golden Princess 2006
Aurora 2005
Oriana 2004
Oriana 2003
Stoke on Trent
590 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by Bedruthen
This charge relates to the large bottle of water which is left in the cabin. I know because it happened to me and as soon as I said £3.24, they said that was the one litre bottle of water. We have has the same problem on three cruises with Cunard and yes they do refund it, but thats not the point. I wonder how many people never check their bank statements and don’t realise they have been charged..
I had always assumed that most P&O passengers would buy the 6 large bottles of water package, taking the one in the cabin as part of this. For £10 it is a cheap way of not drinking the tap water in the cabin and it is quite drinkable.
120 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Fiver here after just getting off Britannia. I was going to let it slide, but now I'm going to call them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

England
1,383 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
I had thought twice before starting this thread as it seemed quite trivial, but I am glad that I did. This is clearly a major money spinner for P&O and completely unacceptable, especially as they are fully aware of the issue.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sunderland England
8,733 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Selbourne
I had thought twice before starting this thread as it seemed quite trivial, but I am glad that I did. This is clearly a major money spinner for P&O and completely unacceptable, especially as they are fully aware of the issue.
It is and it has happened to us on P&O and also a few times on RC so someone is making money.
Sunderland England
8,733 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by grapau27
It is and it has happened to us on P&O and also a few times on RC so someone is making money.
Some suggestions on the RC thread was it was room service keeping a bottle of water and also they got the 18% gratuity on the sale as well.
On P&O and RCCL it is an 0844 number to call to complain which costs almost as much to ring as the overcharge.
In RC case they refunded the mini bar charge only but not the phone charge.
After lots of complaints their corporate instructed room service to remove the 2x1 litre still water bottles from the cabin's.
Lancashire... UK
1,115 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by grapau27
Some suggestions on the RC thread was it was room service keeping a bottle of water and also they got the 18% gratuity on the sale as well.
On P&O and RCCL it is an 0844 number to call to complain which costs almost as much to ring as the overcharge.
In RC case they refunded the mini bar charge only but not the phone charge.
After lots of complaints their corporate instructed room service to remove the 2x1 litre still water bottles from the cabin's.
Hi....I phoned the free phone number so there is no need for it to cost you anything...on an earlier post on this thread the number was given.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sunderland England
8,733 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by janny444
Hi....I phoned the free phone number so there is no need for it to cost you anything...on an earlier post on this thread the number was given.
Your right just checked back to post#8.
Selbourne was right to post this thread because although it might be a small amount and most people would not check or query their bill later it all adds up to a lot of money for someone most likely on the ship rather than P&O corporate.
In 46 cruises from our first on Aurora in 2003 I know of 6 times we have been charged but only because I looked closer at our bills after I noticed a descrepency 12 cruises ago so it might have occurred on more occasions.
On RC with the water bottle charge it includes an 18% gratuity for room service so you can draw your own conclusion.
Uk
79 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
I’m sure there are all sorts of causes for the extra charges. I’m equally sure that it isn’t a corporate plan to sneak an extra million per ship into the shareholders’ pockets. One cause ( which, sorry if it’s been mentioned before) is the ambiguous nature of water bottles that appear in your cabin. As I understand it you get two small bottles of water per cabin gratis as welcome aboard. A 1l bottle of water often appears in the cabin without request. I wonder if passengers sometimes confuse the second 1l bottle (chargeable) with the two smaller free bottles...just a thought.
Lancashire... UK
1,115 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Ranchi
I’m sure there are all sorts of causes for the extra charges. I’m equally sure that it isn’t a corporate plan to sneak an extra million per ship into the shareholders’ pockets. One cause ( which, sorry if it’s been mentioned before) is the ambiguous nature of water bottles that appear in your cabin. As I understand it you get two small bottles of water per cabin gratis as welcome aboard. A 1l bottle of water often appears in the cabin without request. I wonder if passengers sometimes confuse the second 1l bottle (chargeable) with the two smaller free bottles...just a thought.
Hi....I don't think it is an extra million per ship...but possibly in total.
Not even convinced that it is the water bottles in the cabin . Yes you are allowed a couple of complimentary small bottles but as I have already stated a couple of times before we have the fridge cleared upon immediate arrival...no extra 1 litre bottle comes into the cabin yet still a charge of £3.20 went onto my card a day or so after we arrived home.
If people did by chance use the extra water it would go on their on board statement and certainly be on their final on board statement but that isn't what is happening.... It isn't until you arrive home that the charge shows on your credit card.

The fact that P&O are aware of the problem and yet appear ...or want to appear powerless to rectify the problem is causing concern
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sunderland England
8,733 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by janny444
Hi....I don't think it is an extra million per ship...but possibly in total.
Not even convinced that it is the water bottles in the cabin . Yes you are allowed a couple of complimentary small bottles but as I have already stated a couple of times before we have the fridge cleared upon immediate arrival...no extra 1 litre bottle comes into the cabin yet still a charge of £3.20 went onto my card a day or so after we arrived home.
If people did by chance use the extra water it would go on their on board statement and certainly be on their final on board statement but that isn't what is happening.... It isn't until you arrive home that the charge shows on your credit card.

The fact that P&O are aware of the problem and yet appear ...or want to appear powerless to rectify the problem is causing concern
People had the water bottle cleared from their cabin's on RC and were still charged.
The charges only stopped when their corporate withdrew all the litre bottles of still water from the cabin's.
Believe me it is not just one cruise line where these small charges are occurring and it always is a cabin water bottle charge.