Port Shuttle info from P&O pages

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:29 AM.
Southampton
20 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
We're on the same late June cruise to the Greek Islands and I've been trying to find out if there's a shuttle from Souda Bay to Chania. The original itinerary stated Chania as destination but we're docking at Souda Bay and it looks as though there's not much there of interest. Can anybody help please?

Sent from my iPad using Forums
East Yorkshire
209 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by thecatcher
We called at Pireaus on recent P&O Ventura cruise and there was no shuttle bus, we had to walk about 10 mins. to the dock gates.
That sounds about right. I like walking through the various working ports such as Piraeus.
Thank you.
255 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by Teddy123
This link now seems dead and the detailed info seems to have disappeared from the P&O FAQ pages.
Given shuttle bus service is a benefit of the select fare it seems unreasonable that P&O don't provide an up to date list.

If anyone could provide a link to an up-to-date list I would be very grateful.
67 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by RobinRed62
We're on the same late June cruise to the Greek Islands and I've been trying to find out if there's a shuttle from Souda Bay to Chania. The original itinerary stated Chania as destination but we're docking at Souda Bay and it looks as though there's not much there of interest. Can anybody help please?

Hi, we went to that port on a RCI cruise a few years ago, and yes we had a free shuttle bus from Souda to Chania, it dropped and picked us up right on the sea front in Chania.

Hope this helps
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Southampton
20 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by davidlocky
Hi, we went to that port on a RCI cruise a few years ago, and yes we had a free shuttle bus from Souda to Chania, it dropped and picked us up right on the sea front in Chania.

Hope this helps

Thank you yes it does help. Fingers crossed P&o will also offer one.

UK
391 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by Canuker
Going on our first P&O cruise to the Baltic in May 2017.
The P&O port shuttle bus list is not something I shall be relying on.

Example: we call at Copenhagen - but not at the quay that P&O shows in its list*.
I'm wondering if the list is not kept too current.

My first impressions of P&O are that they are not very communicative about what's going to happen on our cruise and when.

Example: we now have a glossy "Holiday Handbook" from them, which is mainly about booking shore excursions while on this cruise. But we have yet to be formally told of each port's arrival and departure times; fairly essential, basic material when visiting a port, I'd say.

Does anyone have views on P&O's ability to share information with its passengers, either before or during the cruise?

* We found this out from Copenhagen's own port website, P&O have been silent so far about this.
There are many sites where you may find this information. It just takes a little Googling. However, I don't rely entirely on Google and visit the individual port arrival and departure schedule information for each port of call, far more accurate, in my experience. Takes a little more effort with inputting ship, date of arrival etc.

Too late for you and your cruise but maybe of help to others.
5,917 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Rabidtraveller
We are also going on a Baltic cruise with P and O in May and have decided to do a shore excursion with Alla Tours who have been very highly recommended by our friend, when we are in St. Petersburg. It seems that most travellers on Aurora do excursions through the ship which are usually more expensive. Other excursions with Alla include Copenhagen and most of the other stopping ports but as there aren't enough requests for their services in these other ports, they can't do them which then means just using the ship tours. In our experience individual tours are quite a bit cheaper.
I'm in the planning phase of a cruise for May 2019. How would I go about booking the tour with Alla. I would rather go on tours with a private tour company. This will be my first time with P&O and also to Europe. Thank You.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
43 Carnival
1 Royal Caribbean: Alaska
1 Holland: Alaska
1 Commodore MS Caribe 1
Yet to sail:
6 Carnival
1 Princess 27 Days
1 P&O 14 Days
1 Cunard 7 Days
5,917 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by slug33ukuk
We arranged a private guide ,ie 12 seat minibus, guide, picked us up at 8-30 both days we were in port, lunch in a "proper" Russian café, with vodka included, back at ship 5-00, could also arrange a Russian folk lore show or ballet as well, cost less than half the price of ships tour. I still have her email if you are interested
I would be very interested. This will be my first visit to Europe. Have cruised the Caribbean many times and Alaska. I much rather do private tours. Ship tours are always over priced and over crowded. Thank You for the offer.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
43 Carnival
1 Royal Caribbean: Alaska
1 Holland: Alaska
1 Commodore MS Caribe 1
Yet to sail:
6 Carnival
1 Princess 27 Days
1 P&O 14 Days
1 Cunard 7 Days
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
185 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by Host Sharon
https://ask.pocruises.com/resources/...le_Information
If you're coming to Rio de Janeiro, it isn't needed to book a shuttle. There's a tram (VLT) station at the port (named "Parada dos Navios") and it's possible to reach Rio's downtown and most of the historic centre with it (take Line 1/Blue tram to "Aeroporto Santos-Dumont" / "Santos-Dumont airport" direction and leave at Sete de Setembro or Cinelandia stations. At Cinelandia it's possible to take a connection (downstairs) with Metro/Subway to Copacabana and Ipanema (Line 1/Red, "Jardim Oceanico" direction, leaving at Cardeal Arcoverde or Siqueira Campos stations for Copacabana or General Osório and Nossa Senhora da Paz for Ipanema. To go back to ship, take the Metro Line 1/Red - Uruguai direction and leave at Cinelandia. Go upstairs and take the tram (Line 1/Blue to Rodoviaria or Praia Formosa direction and leave at "Parada dos Navios" station.

How to pay: buy a card at tram station (credit cards acceptable) and charge it with at least four rides (each ride costs about 1 euro/R$ 4 - I recommend you to charge with R$ 18 to 20 for the four rides). The cards can be used on trams, metro and public buses. Both tram and metro have air conditioning. Tram is available from 6am to midnight from Sunday to Saturday. Metro opens from 5am to midnight between Monday to Saturday and from 7am to 11pm on Sundays and holidays.

Rio's tramway map:

Rio's metro/subway map:
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
---
Daniel&Gilda at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Ships we have cruised: Costa Classica, Costa Favolosa and Costa Pacifica (Costa); Grand Mistral (Ibero); MSC Armonia, MSC Magnifica, MSC Melody, MSC Musica, MSC Opera, MSC Orchestra and MSC Preziosa (MSC); Orient Queen (Louis Cruise); Empress, Horizon, Monarch, Zenith, R6 Blue Dream/Blue Moon (Pullmantur); Splendour of the Seas (Royal Caribbean; Island Escape and Island Star (Island Cruises); and MV Kayamã (JoiceTur river cruises)
Farmhouse in West Yorkshire
35 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by yorkshirephil
There would be hell to pay if I had booked select and then had to pay for the shuttle if it was provided by P&O, as per their terms.

Complimentary use of shuttle buses in port (where provided by P&O Cruises)
I also believed that Complimentary shuttle buses were provided for Select fare paying passengers.
Devon
611 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by Canuker
Going on our first P&O cruise to the Baltic in May 2017.
The P&O port shuttle bus list is not something I shall be relying on.

Example: we call at Copenhagen - but not at the quay that P&O shows in its list*.
I'm wondering if the list is not kept too current.

My first impressions of P&O are that they are not very communicative about what's going to happen on our cruise and when.
Example: we now have a glossy "Holiday Handbook" from them, which is mainly about booking shore excursions while on this cruise. But we have yet to be formally told of each port's arrival and departure times; fairly essential, basic material when visiting a port, I'd say.

Does anyone have views on P&O's ability to share information with its passengers, either before or during the cruise?

* We found this out from Copenhagen's own port website, P&O have been silent so far about this.
What we've found over twenty years of cruising...that even with advance information on the day the berth and time can change . Cruises are planned two years ahead with a planned arrival time...but once the Pilot is on board things can change...local docks ,other ships arriving etc and weather can change things.
Even with information from local shipping movements from the local docks web pages can be wrong.
So I feel p&o feel having staff updating docks arrangements for ships would involve a team of staff tied up doing this full time. Might not be cost effective.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Southwinds
Surrey
49 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by southwinds
Link : Doesn't seem to be working ?
The link I posted a few posts above does work.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Baltika 1971
Royal Viking Sun 1990
Seven Seas Mariner 2001
Oceana 2013
Balmoral 2014
Celebrity Infinity 2016
Yorkshire
506 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by Green Cathedral
Does anyone happen to know where the shuttle to the city centre in Stockholm drops you?
It's usually outside the side of the Opera House, on the main road, where the HoHo buses stop.

40 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by Tom Baker
It's usually outside the side of the Opera House, on the main road, where the HoHo buses stop.
Thank you Tom, that looks like the area that our excursion is likely to drop is in, so that would be ideal for getting the shuttle bus back to the ship.
UK
890 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
It looks like the Azura will be at the Steinwerder terminal in Hamburg on Monday next. Do P&O provide shuttle buses as I believe there is no way to walk to the city. I have emailed P&O but am not hopeful of receiving a reply in time, if at all!