Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:43 PM.
San Antonio spaceship earth
8,517 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Happy to learn that in at least a few reported instances Princess has stepped up and provided something meaningful to inconvenienced pax. When I referred to "invent tables" I was referring to physically adding more tables to the MDR which is not possible. Repurposing tables from ATD to CC is always an option and interesting that they in fact have done that in the past. The bottom line here is that if Princess is going to charge hundreds or even thousands more for the same stateroom based on certain promises, then they need to deliver all the time or they are going to find themselves with empty staterooms.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCCL: Rhapsody, 2003; Voyageur, 2008, 2009; Adventure, 2008; Navigator 2013; Mariner 2010, 2011
Holland America: Veendam, 2006
Princess: Caribbean 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018; Crown 2013, 2017; Emerald 2012, 2015, 2018; Golden 2012, 2014, 2015; Grand 2005, 2006; Island 2011, 2013; Regal 2016; Royal 2014; Ruby 2010, 2017, 2020; Sapphire 2019; Star 2014, 2019
Carnival: Elation 2005; Magic 2012, 2015; Breeze 2017, 2018; Vista 2019

castigat ridendo mores
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts - Mark Twain
Richmond, Virginia
2,994 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
On page 24 of the recent Capt Circle magazine it again states Club Class dining with no waits. Seems advertised and reality are two different things.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lifetime member of the Goat Locker
2,383 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
I was on the Caribbean Princess for a 12 night British Isles cruise and had a very positive experience with CC dining. My party of 3 never waited. We had the same wait staff at lunch and dinner. In fact on one night they changed a table size to 4 for us so we were with the same wait staff. It was not something we asked for, but it was appreciated.
Seattle, WA
2,063 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
[quote=cruzsnooze;55310843They cannot expand CC into the anytime dining room by merely adding a grey tablecloth. The staff would be spread to thin to give the excellent service they give.[/quote]
Think outside the box. Every single cruise line is a professional training organization - they train new staff probably on every cruise. They could easily add additional staff to CC and maintain the same level of service; you and I both know it can be done. They could also add additional staff as support staff, and not disrupt the relationships already formed between the "permanent" CC staff and passengers.

Sorry you had to wait. That said, the Princess complaint department is NOT this forum, contrary to popular belief. None of us are empowered to fix the problem(s) you encountered.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Up next: nothing booked.

See our cruise photos at http://photos.templin.org/cruises/

Prior:
Alaska (Seattle RT) Emerald Princess 9/16/17-9/23/17
Repositioning Ruby Princess (VAN-SEA) 5/5/17-5/6/17
Mexican Riviera (LA RT) Ruby Princess 2/11/17-2/18/17
Repositioning Crown Princess (SEA-VAN) 9/19/15-9/20/15
Alaska (Seattle RT) Ruby Princess 8/9/15-8/16/15
Alaska Sampler (YVR-KTN-SEA) Ruby Princess 4/29/15-5/3/15
Alaska (Seattle RT) Grand Princess 7/20-27/14
Alaska Northbound Sapphire Princess 8/11-18/12
Alaska Northbound Coral Princess 9/4-11/10
Florida
2,183 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
any wait over 2-3 minutes should result in an automatic , no questions asked, $25 OBC for each person in the waiting party
Land of Bad Comedy
3,982 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by moki'smommy
Yup, if they had handed you a complimentary glass of wine with that pager, there would have been a lot less whining!
With all the drink packages, a glass of wine might not have any value.

1) Stuff Happens
2) The appropriate fix, was to give diners immediate seating in a specialty dining restaurant.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise.
Dover,NH,USA
289 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Originally posted by cruzsnooze
Just got off the caribbean Princess and she has major problems with speed and shortened port times but the issue that was unacceptable was pagers for Club Class with a 25 minute wait. I was under the impression the CC was a minimal wait. They stated that everyone wanted to eat at the same time that night. Well wasn't that the issue with the MDR and why CC was introduced for a fee to avoid the wait times.
Paying extra $800 to$1000 per person for a club class mini suite is outrageous. As you just experienced
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Richard & Nancy - Dover, NH

DEC 1994 (7 Day) (RCCL - Majesty Of The Seas - Western Caribbean)
APR 1996 (4 Day) (Nor-Leeward - Bahamas)
DEC 1997 (10 Day) (RCCL - Splendor Of The Seas - Southern Caribbean)
DEC 1999 (11 Days) (RCCL - Vision Of The Seas - Panama Canal - Acapulco - SJ)
DEC 2001 (11 Days) (Princess - Ocean Princess - Southern Caribbean)
NOV 2003 (10 Days) (HAL - Volendam - Western& Southern Caribbean)
NOV 2005 (7 Day) (HAL - Westerndam - Western Caribbean)
DEC 2005 (7 Day) (HAL - Westerndam - Eastern Caribbean)
NOV 2007 (11 Day) (Princess - Island Princess - Panama Canal - SJ to Accapulco)
NOV 2013 (11 Day) (HAL - Noordam - Southern Caribbean)
NOV 2015 (15 Day) ( Princess - Grand Princess - ( SF to Hawaii Round Trip )
NOV 2017 (15 Day) ( Princess - Star Princess - ( LA to Hawaii Round Trip )
Los Angeles Ca.
5,945 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by peety3

Sorry you had to wait. That said, the Princess complaint department is NOT this forum, contrary to popular belief. None of us are empowered to fix the problem(s) you encountered.
Who said this was the Princess complaint dept. Nobody asked you to fix any problems. People come here to share their experiences and exchange ideas.
Northern California
2,355 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Trying Club Class for the first time next month. Having to wait excessively like this would be extremely disappointing.
Sure, a glass of wine for the trouble would be nice, but then, if it happens multiple nights that would be annoying too. Add to that, not everyone drinks, so a free beverage might not be a deal to everyone.

It's disappointing that you pay so much extra but then have to wait. I really hope that we don't have this problem on our cruise.
Oregon
1,699 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by Potstech
On page 24 of the recent Capt Circle magazine it again states Club Class dining with no waits.
Good point. Not only is it the standing Princess policy, it also was published just days ago.

I agree Princess shouldn't promise something it can't deliver, and that includes the Medallion fiasco.

Jim
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming: 7-night Northern California Coast, Ruby Princess, Sept. 22, 2018; 12-night British Isles, Crown Princess, June 6, 2019

2000: Sovereign of the Seas, Bahamas * 2004: Carnival Pride, Mexican Riviera * 2007: Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera * 2010: Carnival Paradise, Baja * 2012: Norwegian Jewel, Alaska; Carnival Splendor, Mexican Riviera * 2014: Celebrity Constellation, Cozumel and Key West; Carnival Valor, Eastern Caribbean; Golden Princess, San Diego and Ensenada, B2B * 2015: Norwegian Dawn, Western Caribbean; Crown Princess, Alaska; Grand Princess, California coast; Island Princess, Panama Canal * 2016: Crown Princess, Mexican Riviera; Regal Princess, Copenhagen to NY. * 2017: Royal Princess, Caribbean; Emerald Princess, Vancouver to L.A. * 2018: Grand Princess, Mexican Riviera; .Crown Princess, FLL to Barcelona; Regal Princess, Baltic Sea.
I come from a land down under
26,493 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
The only way they can have no wait, is to have a seat set aside for eac person who books Club Class
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Los Angeles Ca.
5,945 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by GUT2407
The only way they can have no wait, is to have a seat set aside for eac person who books Club Class
They know not everyone eats at the exact same time so they don't need a seat for everyone but they need a very high percentage if they want to keep their written commitment. When there is a long wait and pagers are needed they need a plan B. Perhaps calling one of the several specialty restaurants and see if they can divert some diners to one of these.
Toronto, Canada
4,496 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by GUT2407
Over the course of several voyages the ship can model demand pretty accurately. This isn't rocket science.

My mother loves to tell the story of an afternoon HAL kitchen tour many years ago. It was lobster night and the chef told them how many lobsters would be ordered. He was off by 1!
2,383 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
It would also be interesting to know how many full suite passengers take advantage of CC dining. Not to provide an excuse but it may be hard to determine the additional passengers beyond CC Mini-Suite who use CC dining on a regular basis. I had a window suite for a British Isles cruise and never used CC for breakfast because I love Sabatini's breakfast, but I did enjoy all lunches in there and most dinners except for 2 specialty dinners.
I come from a land down under
26,493 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by broberts
Over the course of several voyages the ship can model demand pretty accurately. This isn't rocket science.

My mother loves to tell the story of an afternoon HAL kitchen tour many years ago. It was lobster night and the chef told them how many lobsters would be ordered. He was off by 1!

They can model all they like but one cruise the % change.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Toronto, Canada
4,496 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by Tak8
It would also be interesting to know how many full suite passengers take advantage of CC dining. Not to provide an excuse but it may be hard to determine the additional passengers beyond CC Mini-Suite who use CC dining on a regular basis. I had a window suite for a British Isles cruise and never used CC for breakfast because I love Sabatini's breakfast, but I did enjoy all lunches in there and most dinners except for 2 specialty dinners.
Should not be at all hard. While one may not be able to predict the behavior of any given passenger, over the course of many voyages a general pattern should emerge for the group.
South Florida & Shenandoah Valley, VA
6,619 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Should not be at all hard. While one may not be able to predict the behavior of any given passenger, over the course of many voyages a general pattern should emerge for the group.
And they seem to be doing just that since this and Cruisin'Rabbit's response (post #39) are the first complaints I can remember about a 25 minute wait at one dinner (and Cruisin'Rabbit's wait may have been shorter in response to his/her complaint)..
14,249 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Exactly correct. On another line, the we were able to do the VIP galley tour as we are in the top tier of their loyalty program. The chef conducting the tour said that they know how many of each entree will be ordered each night and add preparation of an extra 5 covers "just in case." He said that normally those 5 will end up in the crew dining room because they are normally off by 1-2. That's not bad on a ship that normally cruises with 2500 passengers

I'm sure that Princess can basically do the same. They have a pretty good idea of how many will eat at Sabatini's, how many in CC and how many will sleep thru breakfast. And they do enough cruises that they probably have decent numbers on what to expect on various port days as far as dinner goes. Sea days are easier--they are all the same. Port days may well be different for different ports/port times, etc. But they have great computer models.
Melbourne ( Land of OZ )
336 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Another interesting thing I found on your last cruise, a lot of first time with princess people, some people still had on idea where anything was after 10 days. But some the suite people don't seam to read the info in cabin particularly on breakfast and club class, as one couple only realized breakfast at Sabatini's on the second last day, Also quite a few went to MDR anytime dinning as they didn't realise about club class dinners lunch etc.

I wonder what the number of people go in totally cold ( first cruise or first time with princess ) into a suite and don't realise the perks. Particularly given the long time between booking and boarding and the cost.

Or are we different always have done research before going on holidays, to find out what to do or see and where to stay ( it is in walking distance of a restaurant )

Cheers Don
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Why didn't we go cruising before ???
League City, TX
42,373 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
There is a difference between modeling how many lobsters will be consumed in an evening and modeling what time people will want to eat them.

The time passengers may want to eat can be modeled to a great degree, but it requires many factors to be included and I have no idea if Princess does this, especially for the subset of passengers that are in Club Class dining.

Once example of the variability of preferred dining times is where the passengers come from. In general, those from western Europe will want to eat later than those from the USA. But retirees from South Florida may want to eat earlier than people from Minnesota. But even if you have historical data about when people of what ages from what parts of what countries on what continents eat, processing that information for a particular cruise does not mean the historical answers will apply.

Do you think Princess runs this type of data through a computer for Club Class passengers on each cruise to calculate how many tables to have available? I doubt they do.

The value of historical data can lead to close, but not always accurate predictions for the future. As an example, look at the overbooking airlines and cruise companies do. They count on historical norms for cancellations and much of the time will be OK. But if not accurate, on an airline it can result in passengers being dragged off of an overbooked plane kicking and screaming after boarding (think of the Friendly Skies of United). On a cruise ship, it can lead to move over (and move down) offers.