[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:24 PM.
Loveland, CO
2,233 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Originally posted by -Lew-
Interesting that Marine Traffic shows 81 ship movements in and out of Le Harve on April 30th...including at least one cruise ship.

Wondering whether Nick (Crash) Nash is still at the helm of the Royal...

In the end of March, 2018, it was Antony Draper.

Pooh
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regal Princess - 24 Night Northern Europe Grand Adventure, 08/2019
Disney Fantasy - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean with Family!, 05/2019
Grand Princess - 10 Night Mexican Riviera, 03/2019 (WS!)
Royal Prncess - 19 Night Maple Explorer Tour 2B, 10/2018
Caribbean Princess- 7 Night Western Caribbean, 07/28/2018
Royal Princess - 10 Nt. Southern Caribbean Medley, 03/2018
Ruby Princess - Alaska Inside Passage, 09/2016
RCCL Allure of the Seas - W. Caribbean, 04/2016
Star Princess - Hawaiian Cruise, 04/2015

HAL Maasdam - Southern Caribbean, 03/11
Coral Princess(Grand Canal)- 02/10
HAL Eurodam - Eastern Caribbean - 11/08
Coral Princess- Panama- 10/07
Caribbean Princess - Eastern - 02/07
Brilliance of the Seas - Med.(Venice) - 09/06
Celebrity Summit - Ultimate Southern - 04/05
HAL Zuiderdam - Western Caribbean - 05/04
HAL Rotterdam - Panama Canal - 10/03
Sea Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/00
MS Niew Amsterdam - Alaska - 06/91
NCL Norway - Eastern Caribbean - 06/90
Carnival Carnivale - Bahamas - 10/89
4,249 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by PoohUnderstands
In the end of March, 2018, it was Antony Draper.

Pooh
My pre-cruise email from the captain was from Tony Draper, so am pretty sure you are correct.

tv24, thank you for the details. I am sorry this had to happen and am sure it was a nightmare for you and all the other passengers. I'm glad you reached Paris safely.

I am also sure this was a logistics nightmare for princess. Especially passenger services onboard. But it sounds like they could have handled it better.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Liz - Yoyo is the dog.

yoyosma at att dot net

13,838 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
Originally posted by Go-Bucks!
True, but they were very generous to us in the past with assisting their passengers who are having a dilemma that wasn't their fault. They don't have to, but maybe they will.
From what I just heard, EMBARKING LeHavre passengers with EZ Air were re-booked with air they couldn't possibly adhere to (too far away from airport, flight connections too tight, sent to airports way out of the way and late arrival to the ship). They had to purchase ferry tickets to England, then do the trek to Southampton on their own if they wanted to get to the ship in time. Princess said they couldn't put people with EZ Air on ferries since it's not an air booking which seems ridiculous to me but makes sense to them. Sure hope these people had outside insurance.

BTW - you can take quite a good amount of luggage on the Eurostar train. We've done that without a problem but in first class which seemed to have a little more room. The passengers above should've boarded the train in Calais to England. Would've been easier I think.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
43 Completed Cruises so far - Princess Elite, RCI Diamond, Celebrity Elite, Cunard Platinum, Azamara Discoverer
Upcoming Cruises:
Left for 2018: Azamara Quest
& Emerald Princess
2019: Ruby Princess, Royal Princess & Jewel OTS
2020: Royal Princess, Celebrity Summit & 2 more TBD
3,521 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Originally posted by RDC1
The exception to that is for embarkation and disembarkation ports. Princess is responsible for getting them to their scheduled disembarkation port.

I am pretty sure that even though it may not be in the contract, it is in the passenger bill of rights that princess as part of ccl agreed to a few years back.

You can do a search for passenger bill of right cruise line
Just found and read the full version. It also includes language limiting to mechanical failure only.
Mojave Desert
808 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by RDC1
The exception to that is for embarkation and disembarkation ports. Princess is responsible for getting them to their scheduled disembarkation port.

I am pretty sure that even though it may not be in the contract, it is in the passenger bill of rights that princess as part of ccl agreed to a few years back.

You can do a search for passenger bill of right cruise line
Uhhh... Nope.

The ship's scheduled disembarkation port for the cruise.

CAUTION! Lawyers at work. CAUTION!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MV Royal Majesty • N Caribbean
MS Zenith • Bermuda
MS Rhapsody of the Seas • S Caribbean
MS Ryndam • Alaska
MS Horizon • Bermuda
MV Yorktown Clipper • San Francisco/Sacramento (!)
MS Paul Gauguin • Tahiti
MS Navigator • St Lawrence Seaway
MS Emerald Princess • Australia/New Zealand
MS Ruby Princess • California Coast
MS Eurodam • Alaska
10,993 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
I seem to remember something similar happening a few years ago during the Japan tsunami where passengers boarded a Princess ship only to be told after they were already on board that the disembarkation port had been closed and the cruise was going to end early and/or end in a different port. IIRC Princess took no responsibility for that one, either, unless passengers had EZ Air. I remember thinking at that time that, really, all the Passenger Contract promises is the ship will pick up up and keep you for X number of days. What it does and where it goes in the meantime, and where it drops you off is totally at their discretion...except in the case of mechanical failure.

If my memory is correct, then this change in the Passenger Contract wording has been in place for awhile.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1280 days ~ 128 cruises ~ 29 ships ~ 20 years ~ 6 continents ~ 5 cruise lines
1 happy cruiser!!
My travel diary from Winters spent at sea:
3,521 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Originally posted by Haboob
Uhhh... Nope.

The ship's scheduled disembarkation port for the cruise.

CAUTION! Lawyers at work. CAUTION!
It was the ships disembarkation for the cruise for the 300 passengers that booked the cruise that way. It was not a case of them just wanting to get off early. Their booked cruise ended there.

LaHavre was their scheduled disembarkation for their entire cruise. Princess sold the cruise with either LaHavre or Southampton as the final termination point. It was not just a mid cruise port stop. There were also passengers schedule to embark from there.

However, as it turns out even the passenger bill of rights that was put in place after the Carnival problems in the Gulf, still is restricted on to mechanical problems. So in this case if, for example, the cruise ship could not make it into Southampton and went to another port due to weather, the passengers would also not have any guarantee for the cruise line to get them to Southampton.
California
833 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
This thread makes me shudder. As many others thought, I was sure Princess would be responsible for getting those passengers to their disembarkation port. We have a cruise booked that embarks in Le Havre. If anything goes amiss, it sounds like we’re on our own. We did book a Princess transfer from Paris to Le Havre. I wonder if that would make any difference to Princess. I’ve heard too many horror stories about EZ Air, so we always arrange our own flights. We have good insurance, but I’d prefer not to have to use it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RC Song of Norway/Western Caribbean 1987, Carnival Jubilee/Mexican Riviera 1992, RC Sovereign of the Seas/Panama Canal 1999, Regal Princess/Alaska 2006, RC Brilliance of the Seas/Europe-Italy 2009, Sea Princess/So. Pacific-Australia 2011, Star Princess/Hawaii 2012, Celebrity Eclipse/So. Caribbean 2013, Sapphire Princess b2b/California Coastal 2014, Ocean Princess/Scandinavia & Russia 2014, Island Princess b2b/Panama Canal 2015, Grand Princess b2b /California Coastal & Mexican Riviera 2015, Grand Princess/Mexican Riviera 2016, Royal Princess/ Rome to Ft. Lauderdale 2017, Grand Princess/Alaska 2018

“I am easily satisfied with the very best."
Winston Churchill
26,669 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
IMO - Princess should make this right for those involved. They may not be legally responsible but it would be the right thing to do.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me
13,600 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
This is absolutely frightening. They are saying that they can take a passenger anywhere Princess chooses and unless they booked their transportation thru Princess, they will receive no assistance getting to their originally scheduled termination point--or the original embarkation point.

So...if I flew into FLL to board a cruise and due to weather, the ship docked instead at Port Canaveral, Princess would have no obligation to arrange transportation, hold the ship to allow me to get there, or anything else, and that it wasn't their fault they weren't at Port Everglades. WOW!

That's not the way Disney did business when a similar situation actually happened! Port Canaveral was closed due to a hurricane. Our cruise was re-routed to be going out of Port Everglades 3 days later. We were offered the ability to cancel our cruise with a full refund, do the shorter cruise at a 40% refund, and provided with transportation from MCO or WDW to Port Everglades and from Port Canaveral to WDW or MCO when the ship disembarked. I believe they later added some OBC to the benefits as well when the embarkation was delayed later than they'd thought it would be. They also re-routed air for those who had booked air travel thru DCL.
26,669 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by moki'smommy
That's not the way Disney did business when a similar situation actually happened! Port Canaveral was closed due to a hurricane. Our cruise was re-routed to be going out of Port Everglades 3 days later. .
Honestly - I don't think this is the same Princess as it was 20 years ago when I first started cruising. I am appalled that this happened but I doubt it would have happened under previous leaderships. Sorry, not a Jan Swartz fan.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me
3,049 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
That’s awful! What’s crazy to me, too, is that a ferry would even be considered when a gigantic ship isn’t even deemed safe to dock?? I wondered how Le Havre would go this year now that it’s an actual embark/disembark port; I thought that would increase the likelihood of making it there, but maybe it won’t. I really hope Princess made/makes it right for all affected!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising through life one ship at a time
Toronto
1,654 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Several years ago we did B2B2B 14 days Caribbean cruises. On the 2nd and 3rd there were several hundred under capacity. What they did was on day 11 of the 2nd cruise was have about 300 Puerto Ricans board there and they were scheduled to get off in PR on day 11 of the 3rd cruise. In other words the the Puerto Ricans had a unique 14 day itinerary. On the 3rd cruise a near cat 1 hurricane was in the PR area and we bypassed it. Princess flew all those passengers back to PR from the next port - Princess likely sold the cruise to those customers quite cheap as it took the cabin out of US stock for 2 14 day voyages so by the time they had to pay the extra air Princess sure did not make anything from them.

Sounds like Princess would not do that again.
San Francisco
972 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Many years ago we were booked on the Aurora (P&O) for a World Cruise. The ship boarded many in Southampton only to develop engine problems. After a few attempts to get going; we got to the channel and back for 4/5 days; I'm not sure just how long; cruise was canceled and there were lots of headaches. We were to meet daughters in Asia and instead made major to all meet in Australia and took the Sapphire Princess from Sydney to Hong Kong. P&O took care of our airfare and returned all cruise fares. We were able to convert the airfare to get us to Australia. There was some other compensation (cash) but we were just happy to find a cruise that fit the daughters plans (Their jobs had limits on vacation time)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Matson Lurline 1955 (to Hawaii), Matson Lurline 1955 (Return to Mainland), Matson Luline 1964,P&O Arcadia 1964, P&O Orsova 1965, P&O Oriana 1965, P&O Canberra 1967, P&O Arcadia 1967-68, P&O Iberia 1968, P&O Orcades 1968, P&O Chusan 1968, P&O Orsova 1969, P&O Iberia 1971, P&O Fair Princess 1971, P&O Arcadia 1972
OOCL Universe Campus 1974, P&O Arcadia 1977, Pacific Princess 1979, Fair Princess 1979, P&O Oriana 1981, P&O Canberra 1981, Sea Princess 1981, P&O Oriana 1986, Premier Cruise (Big Red Boat) 1987, P&O Fair Star 1994, Star Princess 1995, Sun Princess 1995, P&O Aurora 2002 B2B 1, P&O Aurora 2002 B2B 2, P&O Oriana 2004, Sapphire Princess 2005, P&O Aurora 2006, Golden Princess 2006, Golden Princess 2007, Norwegian Star 2007, Regal Princess 2007, Grand Princess 2007, Dawn Princess 2008, Dawn Princess again 2008, Coral Princess 2008, Grand Princess 2009 B2B, Island Princess 2009, Star Princess 2009, Coral Princess 2009, Sapphire Princess 2009, Diamond Princess B2B 2010, Sea Princess 2010, Golden Princess 2011
League City, TX
41,839 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by tv24
I was able to call British Air to buy 2 tickets to fly to Paris CDG. Because we have luggage, a low-cost option was not possible. The cost was $1,053.
Did you check into taking a Chunnel train?
League City, TX
41,839 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by tv24
I've filed my insurance claim and have spent time with my TA, who is looking into all of this. I promise to let everyone know what happens. I'm still curious what happened to the other passengers and if they are comfortable with service from Princess.
I wonder what happened to the new passengers that were supposed to embark in Le Havre.
4,249 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
changed my mind about posting a ramble on a few things. it's late.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Liz - Yoyo is the dog.

yoyosma at att dot net

3,521 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Originally posted by yoyosma
This was more than a port of call, Princess sold this as a 14 day Transatlantic ending in Le Harve and a 15 day Transatlantic ending in Southampton. The 14 day was actually more money than the 15 day, at least when I booked. They also sold an April 30 British Isles cruise beginning and ending in Le Harve. That may still mean they don't have any financial responsibility. I was actually wondering if they were assisting passengers finding transportation between to/from Le Harve, not necessarily paying for it. The op mentioned about 300 passengers wound up in Southampton instead of Le Harve, there must have been about the same number left behind in Le Harve.
There is a ferry that runs between Le Havre and Portmouth and back. It departs Portsmouth at 23:30 and arrives LeHavre at 8:30. The Le Havre departure is 22:00 and arrives in Portsmouth at 07:15. It may mean an overnight trip in a reclining seat, but at approximately $60 one way. A pretty cheap cost for those needing to get to Southampton from Le Havre as long as the ferry was running.

Cruise ships have a very large wind surface. So they may be impacted by strong winds when other, ships such as ferries are still running.
Oakland, CA USA
2,197 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by caribill
Did you check into taking a Chunnel train?
We thought of the Chunnel train, but there were several problems. First, there have been rolling strikes in France that have affected lots of transport including SNCF, the intercity trains including the Chunnel (Eurostar), so we were not sure if April 30 would be a strike day. Next, the internet on board did not work and the telephone codes for using the ship's phones did not work so we were unable to explore options. Finally, we are growing old and have lots of luggage so the prospect of schlepping 4 suitcases and 2 carry-ons from Southampton to Heathrow (via Princess's shuttle), and then from Heathrow to St. Pancras Station, then on to the Eurostar train (which isn't easy; we've done it), was more than a bit overwhelming. So when I finally succeeded at buying air tickets from BA that got me to Paris CDG direct on the 30th, I jumped at the opportunity. Not a good time and space to be shopping around for the cheapest alternative.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard: 109 Days
Seabourn: 68 Days
Azamara: 64 Days
HAL: 41 Days
Crystal: 38 Days
Princess: 28 Days
Oceania: 14 Days
Celebrity: 14 Days
RCL: 7 Days
Commodore: 7 Days
Carnival: 3 Days
Goodtime II: 1 Day
6,322 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by cherylandtk
Well, this is a surprise. I know in former passage contracts the cruiseline was obligated to get you to your original disembarkation point. In reading the current contract, it appears that is now only in case of mechanical failure on the part of the ship...weather being out of their control and specifically listed in the contract as being not their obligation.
Thank you for posting this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App