Oriana Leaving


Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:29 AM.
#42
Cumbria,U.K.
6,200 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Why on earth didn't P&O send her to one of the northern ports... they only have Fred and C&M, so P&O could have made a start in, say, Greenock, or Edinburgh. We're most likely finished with P&O anyway, because we're not really up to travelling down to Southampton again...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jo.
22 cruises; 12 ships; 8 lines; 100 ports
#43
999 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
I would have thought fair compensation from p and o would be the amount of the deposit plus the refund of the deposit. If we cancel we forfeit our deposit and don’t have a cruise. When P and O cancel they don’t have a cruise and give a small onboard credit. It does not seem very equal.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#44
Bath UK
1,417 Posts
Joined May 2009
It doesn’t seem that P&O are adhering to the U.K. Package Tour Regulations 1992 which state

13.—(1) The terms set out in paragraphs (2) and (3) below are implied in every contract and apply where the consumer withdraws from the contract pursuant to the term in it implied by virtue of regulation 12(a), or where the organiser, for any reason other than the fault of the consumer, cancels the package before the agreed date of departure.


(2) The consumer is entitled—


(a)to take a substitute package of equivalent or superior quality if the other party to the contract is able to offer him such a substitute; or
(b)to take a substitute package of lower quality if the other party to the contract is able to offer him one and to recover from the organiser the difference in price between the price of the package purchased and that of the substitute package; or
(c)to have repaid to him as soon as possible all the monies paid by him under the contract.

13.2.a is the relevant point, although there are new regulations from 1st July the current regulations would cover all existing bookings. I know from experience that other cruise lines honour this without question so P&O should do so as well.




Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol & John
#45
Carlisle, Cumbria, UK. No Carlisle is not in Scotland
680 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by jocap
Why on earth didn't P&O send her to one of the northern ports... they only have Fred and C&M, so P&O could have made a start in, say, Greenock, or Edinburgh. We're most likely finished with P&O anyway, because we're not really up to travelling down to Southampton again...
If you read previous posts you will see that the ship is not fit for purpose. Breaking down in the Med is one thing, breaking down in the middle of the North Sea would be quite another.
#46
999 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by Riocca
It doesn’t seem that P&O are adhering to the U.K. Package Tour Regulations 1992 which state

13.—(1) The terms set out in paragraphs (2) and (3) below are implied in every contract and apply where the consumer withdraws from the contract pursuant to the term in it implied by virtue of regulation 12(a), or where the organiser, for any reason other than the fault of the consumer, cancels the package before the agreed date of departure.


(2) The consumer is entitled—


(a)to take a substitute package of equivalent or superior quality if the other party to the contract is able to offer him such a substitute; or
(b)to take a substitute package of lower quality if the other party to the contract is able to offer him one and to recover from the organiser the difference in price between the price of the package purchased and that of the substitute package; or
(c)to have repaid to him as soon as possible all the monies paid by him under the contract.

13.2.a is the relevant point, although there are new regulations from 1st July the current regulations would cover all existing bookings. I know from experience that other cruise lines honour this without question so P&O should do so as well.




Sent from my iPad using Forums


I had wondered about those regulations too. I read my it as they should not charge more for a similar replacement cruise.

I am lucky my cruise falls just before the sale but I am sorry for those people who are booked for after the sale.

P and O do not seem to care about the customer. Onboard credit is not compensation also what about other expenses people have incurred such as travel insurance premiums and hotels.

Best wishes, Stephen.



Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#47
1,575 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Isn't the real issue the fact that the target market for Oriana is diminishing, in that the new generation of older cruisers expect more than Oriana could provide? It seems that Saga have realised that the newly mature market want a sophisticated, small ship environment, and have put their faith in their new ship cruising next year. P&O gave taken a different route.
The P&O/Carnival marketing team have decided they have two target markets: UK mass market family/mid-price range cruising, (e.g. Britannia) and a couple of ships for the more affluent/elderly UK crowd ( e.g. Arcadia). If neither of these two options attract, they will hope that other Carnival lines will fill the void (e.g. Princess for those UK cruisers who want a more cosmopolitan experience) . Much as many UK cruisers will dislike the idea, P&O is just part of a major cruise monolith, where individual brands have to co-exist with other brands within the same parent group, but there cannot be too much of an overlap in the brand offering.





Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app
#48
England
1,568 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Very sad, as we got the ‘cruising bug’ when we did our first cruise, on Oriana in 1996, when she was just one year old. We have cruised on her again since and like her very much.

However, since my wife has had to resort to a wheelchair, we have stopped cruising on her. We only ever Cruise with a balcony and the accessible cabins on Oriana are either outides or insides (neither of which would interest us) and suite prices are poor value on this ship.

The lack of balconies is her downfall, as increasing numbers of cruisers these days now see one as essential and I believe that she only has one deck of balcony cabins. So, with two new ships announced, this was sadly inevitable.

An earlier poster wondered how prices on Aurora and Arcadia would be affected. We booked one of the first cruises that Aurora will be doing when she becomes Adult only. As always, we booked at launch to get the cheapest prices (we only book Select as we like to choose the best cabin). A month or two ago I checked the current prices of all four of our future cruises (3 on Aurora and 1 on Arcadia). The prices on all of them had increased significantly and, much to my surprise, the last one on Aurora is now almost DOUBLE the price we paid. I had to check it twice as I didn’t believe what I was seeing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 162 nights over 15 cruises (Arcadia, Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 85 nights over 5 cruises (2018 - Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2, 2020 - Iona, Aurora)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
J807 Arcadia 1/7/18. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
#49
Devon, UK
5,106 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Selbourne, same here. We had our cruise on Adonia cancelled, so whilst on Board Oriana, which is when he heard about it, we rebooked Oriana and also booked Aurora for April 2019, so that was 18 months ago. We paid £1395 for an inside cabin with £135 OBC each. That cruise is now showing as £2350 for an inside and £1900 (approx) for an Early Saver. I couldn't believe it either. It's a 19 day cruise. (Oh and got another £50 off from our TA)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean



#50
South coast
337 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
So to summarise then....
1. P&O have been unable to repair the ships engine correctly. Everyone appears in danger for the next 12 months due to vibrations?
2. They are selling the ship to China (an offer they couldn’t refuse)
3. P&O are banking (literally) on us transferring with £50 OBC to cruises that are now double/£2,000 more than when we booked.
4. Ship is registered in Bermuda so they can get away from consumer law.
5. No doubt this was known when the summer/autumn cruises launched.
6. The ethos of evolve or become extinct has been force fed by Carnival.

For us we were presented this cruise as a reward for going above and beyond in our work. We’ve now setting up our own company so lost it all.
Cheers P&O.



Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark & Jane


MSC Splendida September 22, 2016
NCL Jade August 19, 2017
MSC Divina September 23, 2017
RC Navigator of the seas August 12, 2018
#51
Devon, UK
5,106 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
For the person talking about baths. We have stayed in a lot of the inside cabins on C and D decks and also outside cabins on C and D decks. None of them have had baths. Shower only.


As for being a rust bucket with nothing working?? She was in great condition in April. We had no problems apart from a big judder in the dining room on one night as they had a problem with an engine. Soon fixed in Gib. All ships have problems. We sailed on Azura 4 months after launch. None of the public loos were working. Two of them flooded. Ventura has also just had a problem. It's a machine!!

and I would rather be on a ship like Oriana in a Force 10 gale than one of these top heavy block of flats! I have been in a Force 10 on Oriana - and also Balmoral. Both handled it well. I have been in a Force 7 on Azura and she rolled like a pig.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean



#52
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
960 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by jeanlyon
For the person talking about baths. We have stayed in a lot of the inside cabins on C and D decks and also outside cabins on C and D decks. None of them have had baths. Shower only.


As for being a rust bucket with nothing working?? She was in great condition in April. We had no problems apart from a big judder in the dining room on one night as they had a problem with an engine. Soon fixed in Gib. All ships have problems. We sailed on Azura 4 months after launch. None of the public loos were working. Two of them flooded. Ventura has also just had a problem. It's a machine!!

and I would rather be on a ship like Oriana in a Force 10 gale than one of these top heavy block of flats! I have been in a Force 10 on Oriana - and also Balmoral. Both handled it well. I have been in a Force 7 on Azura and she rolled like a pig.
Couldn't agree more Jean!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andrew

Past: Cunard QE2 & Queen Elizabeth; P&O Victoria, Oriana, Arcadia, Aurora, Oceana, Azura; Sea Princess; Celebrity Summit; Fred Olsen Black Watch, Saga Ruby, Portuscale MV Funchal, MS Mayfair (Nile River Cruise), Marella Discovery 2 & CMV Marco Polo

Future: P&O Azura to Amsterdam(2019), Coral Princess to Alaska (2019).
#53
20 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
P&O have learnt nothing from the Adonia Sale & then the Oriana cancelled cruise Saga . The Customer Service Dept is pretty awful with "We value your Loyalty" followed by an insulting OBC offer when rebooking & seem surprised by the reaction of the Customer!. OBC costs P&O peanuts, probably about 25% of its value to the Customer. P&O really need to get a grip of its Customer Service. £150 OBC each plus a 15% discount on a re-booked Cruise might be more acceptable.
#54
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
960 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by thecruisers6
So to summarise then....
1. P&O have been unable to repair the ships engine correctly. Everyone appears in danger for the next 12 months due to vibrations?
2. They are selling the ship to China (an offer they couldn’t refuse)
3. P&O are banking (literally) on us transferring with £50 OBC to cruises that are now double/£2,000 more than when we booked.
4. Ship is registered in Bermuda so they can get away from consumer law.
5. No doubt this was known when the summer/autumn cruises launched.
6. The ethos of evolve or become extinct has been force fed by Carnival.

For us we were presented this cruise as a reward for going above and beyond in our work. We’ve now setting up our own company so lost it all.
Cheers P&O.



Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with most of what you say, I am not sure point 4 would hold up. Whilst the ship may be registered in Bermuda, the cruises are sold in the UK from a UK registered company. I still enjoy cruises aboard P&O's ships and have been a loyal passenger for some 20 years but really wish someone would raise this with the media as I think they are treating people appallingly. The least they should be doing is transferring passengers to an alternative cruise of the same or similar duration without additional cost!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andrew

Past: Cunard QE2 & Queen Elizabeth; P&O Victoria, Oriana, Arcadia, Aurora, Oceana, Azura; Sea Princess; Celebrity Summit; Fred Olsen Black Watch, Saga Ruby, Portuscale MV Funchal, MS Mayfair (Nile River Cruise), Marella Discovery 2 & CMV Marco Polo

Future: P&O Azura to Amsterdam(2019), Coral Princess to Alaska (2019).
#55
Devon, UK
5,106 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Yes Andrew, agree with you. Indeed we booked Adonia on launch, but when we had to transfer to Oriana, I think they should at least have honoured the launch price, but they did not. Very unfair on those who have booked early. If I had to pay the money that my next cruise is standing at, I would have cancelled. I wonder if the prices are so high because they kn ew they were selling Oriana?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean



#56
Carlisle, Cumbria, UK. No Carlisle is not in Scotland
680 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by jeanlyon
For the person talking about baths. We have stayed in a lot of the inside cabins on C and D decks and also outside cabins on C and D decks. None of them have had baths. Shower only.


As for being a rust bucket with nothing working?? She was in great condition in April. We had no problems apart from a big judder in the dining room on one night as they had a problem with an engine. Soon fixed in Gib. All ships have problems. We sailed on Azura 4 months after launch. None of the public loos were working. Two of them flooded. Ventura has also just had a problem. It's a machine!!

and I would rather be on a ship like Oriana in a Force 10 gale than one of these top heavy block of flats! I have been in a Force 10 on Oriana - and also Balmoral. Both handled it well. I have been in a Force 7 on Azura and she rolled like a pig.
The cabins on deck C & D are new ones put in where the children's facilities had been. So they are shower only. The remaining (non suite) cabins are shower over bath.
#57
Carlisle, Cumbria, UK. No Carlisle is not in Scotland
680 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by thecruisers6
So to summarise then....
1. P&O have been unable to repair the ships engine correctly. Everyone appears in danger for the next 12 months due to vibrations?
2. They are selling the ship to China (an offer they couldn’t refuse)
3. P&O are banking (literally) on us transferring with £50 OBC to cruises that are now double/£2,000 more than when we booked.
4. Ship is registered in Bermuda so they can get away from consumer law.
5. No doubt this was known when the summer/autumn cruises launched.
6. The ethos of evolve or become extinct has been force fed by Carnival.

For us we were presented this cruise as a reward for going above and beyond in our work. We’ve now setting up our own company so lost it all.
Cheers P&O.



Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Re #1. Vibration has been an issue since delivery. Numerous refits/dry docks etc over the years hasn't cured it. Don't think a few extra months will make that much difference.
#58
South coast
337 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Just looked on my cruise planner for August 9th, 2019 and it is saying embarkation at Southampton followed by 7 sea days. Wonder if a cruise to Shanghai will soon be on sale


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark & Jane


MSC Splendida September 22, 2016
NCL Jade August 19, 2017
MSC Divina September 23, 2017
RC Navigator of the seas August 12, 2018
#59
England
1,568 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by FangedRose
Re #1. Vibration has been an issue since delivery. Numerous refits/dry docks etc over the years hasn't cured it. Don't think a few extra months will make that much difference.
That’s very true. There were vibrations during the initial sea trials. In fact, if I recall correctly, the propellers were changed within the first year, just before we went on her in 1996. At dinner the first night, as the speed picked up, everything started shaking and rattling for around 20 minutes until the chief engineer told them to ease the engines back. That was in the days when cruising at 25 to 27 knots was the norm and you had long days in port. It’s all a little more sedentary these days!

Although I think the demise of Oriana was inevitable once the second of the new ships was announced, my sympathies to those affected. I agree with others that the way that P&O ‘compensates’ affected passengers is nothing short of derisory and they deserve to lose customers to other brands as a result. No company should take anyone for granted these days.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 162 nights over 15 cruises (Arcadia, Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 85 nights over 5 cruises (2018 - Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2, 2020 - Iona, Aurora)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
J807 Arcadia 1/7/18. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
#60
South coast
337 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Well said Selbourne.
I wish you all many happy sailings with P&O and hope you all have some wonderful cruises.
We’ve had 2 MSC cruises and off on a RCI Cruise in August. Tried NCL and it was a disaster. We’ve just booked another MSC as you can tell the “family owned” feel. A big shame as being British we wanted to try P&O next.
Take care all


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark & Jane


MSC Splendida September 22, 2016
NCL Jade August 19, 2017
MSC Divina September 23, 2017
RC Navigator of the seas August 12, 2018