How can Princess accomodate 3K passengers and have NO drinkable beer?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:42 AM.
Cary, NC
12 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
So I'm a bit of a beer snob, but even Carnival on a recent cruise had an IPA available on draft ( for 4 bucks no less). Princess selection is abysmal, and the same in all the bars. Made the call early to just rely on the Woodford Old Fashioned - but alas the bartending is also weak (Ruby Princess, Seattle Alaska RT). Could not be more disappointed in the selection, nor the value for money spent. Really - if there was just ONE IPA on the menu, I could cope and manage even whilst being gouged for said beer - but to be gouged while having to order a Heineken or a Grolsch? Come on....
Cary, NC
12 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by sunnytag
Find another cruise line.
Well that will probably happen, this was the first, likely the last on Princess, but do you really think that's their marketing strategy? Sail out of Seattle, home of the birth of craft beer (along with PDX) but no offer anything crafty? They can bill seven and a half bucks for a bottle of beer, wouldn't you think they would WANT to have stuff the passengers want?
Texas
2,092 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by bohica
So I'm a bit of a beer snob, but even Carnival on a recent cruise had an IPA available on draft ( for 4 bucks no less). Princess selection is abysmal, and the same in all the bars. Made the call early to just rely on the Woodford Old Fashioned - but alas the bartending is also weak (Ruby Princess, Seattle Alaska RT). Could not be more disappointed in the selection, nor the value for money spent. Really - if there was just ONE IPA on the menu, I could cope and manage even whilst being gouged for said beer - but to be gouged while having to order a Heineken or a Grolsch? Come on....
Bohica,
Based upon you complaint, I would say you have the appropriate screen name. No doubt you feel that, when it comes to beer selection, Princess is fubar. Since I drink Gentleman Jack or Grey Goose, when it comes to beer, all I can say is dilligaf.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
USS Greenling SSN614
Atlantic Ocean/Barents Sea
783 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
If attempting to attract more Millenials and younger to cruising Princess, expanding the beer choices including IPAs is a no-brainer.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sapphire Princess 5/19 (Norway) , Crown Princess 5/18 (MED), Oceania Insignia 12/17 (CRB), Ruby Princess 4/17 (Pacific Wine Country), Viking Tialfi 8/16 (Rhine), Grand Princess 2/15 (Hawaii), Caribbean Princess 11/14 (W. CRB), Viking Freya 12/13 (Heart of Germany), Sapphire Princess 4/13 (Coastal), Ruby Princess 12/12 (CRB), Viking Pride (Paris/Normandy) 10/12, Star Princess 12/11 (S. America), Caribbean Princess 5/11 (CRB), Sapphire Princess 2/11 (MEX), Emerald Princess 12/10 (CRB), Viking Sky 11/10 (Danube), Golden Princes 5/10 (Coastal), Vision of the Seas 2/09 (CRB), Crown Princess 12/08 (CRB) ,Crown Princess 8/08 (Scandinavia and Russia), Golden Princess 3/08 (MEX), Island Princess 12/07 (PAN CANAL), Emerald Princess 5/07(MED) , Grand Princess 2/07 (W. CRB), Viking Surkov 8/06 (RUSSIA), Sapphire Princess 3/06 (MEX), Golden Princess 12/05 (S. CRB), Viking Century Star 5/05 (CHINA), Sea Voyager 12/04 (PAN CANAL), Splendour of the Seas 10/04 (MED), Golden Princess 3/04 (E. CRB), Polaris 5/03 (GALAPAGOS), Sovereign of the Seas 3/03 (BAHAMAS), Norwegian Sun 12/02 (W. CRB), Legend of the Seas 5/02 (ALASKA), Norway 12/01 (E. CRB), Miriam 5/01 (EGYPT), Sunbird 3/00 (S. CRB), Song of America 3/98(MEX)
Wisconsin
1,564 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Not a drinker, but I thought they had there own called Seawitch IPA? Or has that been discontinued?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Caribbean Princess 12/08, 08/10, 10/13, 01/14
Carnival Conquest 10/04
Carnival Dream 10/12
Carnival Glory 10/05
Carnival Spirit 11/09
Crown Princess 09/15, 03/17(B2B)
Emerald Princess 04/11, 10/18
Golden Princess 10/07, 04/13
Grand Princess 11/17
Island Princess 08/11, 02/12
Regal Princess 02/16

Royal Princess 11/14
,11/16
Land of Bad Comedy
3,817 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Yes, the witch is gone. Plenty of fine beers available in port along the way, of course. On ship you will be required to drink what is available, which is limited.

Whine is allowed, but not recommended.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Work in Process
Vancouver, BC
282 Posts
Joined May 2003
Originally posted by Musky Ike
Not a drinker, but I thought they had there own called Seawitch IPA? Or has that been discontinued?

Pretty sure I saw that on our last Alaska Cruise out of Seattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Melbourne ( Land of OZ )
304 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
I will say if you are particular with what you drink.... you may have to be flexible.. so that can only stock a certain range.. when you are dealing a couple of thousand people..

We go with the flow.. But there is only one white wine the other half likes on princess... god help us if they run out of that.....

Cheers Don
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Why didn't we go cruising before ???
San Mateo, California
5,836 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I enjoy Grolsch and Heineken... so don't see the problem.
Cary, NC
12 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by neverbeenhere
On ship you will be required to drink what is available, which is limited.
Not sure your position on this: good thing? issue? or just 'same as it ever was'?
438 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Bohica I feel your pain both with the lack of at least one good IPA on tap and the quicksand you have stepped in here. Folks here have an opinion and they are not afraid to share it. At the risk of getting trashed with you there are also a number trolls that will heap on the BS once that door has been opened.

FWIW I'm of the same mindset. What would it take to have one middle-of-road IPA on tap at one bar on the ship? Maybe logistics are an issue, maybe it's the older clientele, who knows, who cares. Get your bucket of fizzy water Bud light and enjoy the week then have a real beer when you get back home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
8 Princess, 2 RCCL, 1 HAL, 1 NCL (All Caribbean Itineraries)
Cary, NC
12 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by GRAYTech
Bohica I feel your pain both with the lack of at least one good IPA on tap and the quicksand you have stepped in here. Folks here have an opinion and they are not afraid to share it. At the risk of getting trashed with you there are also a number trolls that will heap on the BS once that door has been opened.

FWIW I'm of the same mindset. What would it take to have one middle-of-road IPA on tap at one bar on the ship? Maybe logistics are an issue, maybe it's the older clientele, who knows, who cares. Get your bucket of fizzy water Bud light and enjoy the week then have a real beer when you get back home.
Well on tap would be an extra - just a bottle selection would do for me. As for having a bucket of bud light - thanks, but if I don't like it at home, I surely don't want it on vacation - that's why I turned to the Woodford Old Fashioned. Sadly the bar staff is wildly inconsistent - and having simple syrup available at all times is not even a given. I had one bartender pull a sugar packet out of his pocket and pour it on the orange slice before muddling it.....not sure what to make of all of it.
438 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
..that's why I turned to the Woodford Old Fashioned. Sadly the bar staff is wildly inconsistent...
I solved this by drinking scotch and after dinner cognac. This however, doesn't work very well if you start at lunch and have the 8:15PM seating for dinner although I did try it one day. It was back to the fizzy water after that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
8 Princess, 2 RCCL, 1 HAL, 1 NCL (All Caribbean Itineraries)
Land of Bad Comedy
3,817 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Beer Oh Beer. Beer is not to be stored in green bottles as the light will sour the concoction in no time at all. While cruisecritic members like to believe they weald the sword of Zeus(Zeus had a sword?) we have found that a hand written letter to the cruise company of choice yields better results. Not a 100% return on letters, but a higher return rate than lamenting in a forum. We would love to see a better selection on zymurgy production available on ships, but imbibing while in port will be the only current path to satisfaction while on a Princess cruise. Best of luck on effecting corporate change.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Work in Process
Richmond, Virginia
2,874 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
What is considered " drinkable" beer is up to the person drinking it. Apparently out of 3000 passengers there are many who have found the beer onboard "drinkable" as they can be seen consuming it in various venues throughout he ship. So it would seem you are in the minority and destined to be beerless onbaord for the forseeable future. Enjoy your beer in the ports you visit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lifetime member of the Goat Locker
Chico, California
11,388 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
To the OP:

AMEN! We too are beer snobs. The best we have found on Princess cruises is Alaska Brewing Company and that is only available on Alaska cruises or on ships that have just transitioned from the Alaska cruises. Is it great beer? NO. is it better than the other beer on Princess? YES. My wife will also drink Newcastle on tap if they have it - which they did on Emerald Princess. We love good beer and would be happy if Princess would just carry Denali Brewing Company beer from Talkeetna. After all, they have a lodge right near there with excursions to Talkeetna. They make a good Stout and a great Double IPA.

My wife always thought she hated beer until I started making it many years ago. She discovered she loves beer. It's Budweiser and Coors and such that she doesn't like and those aren't really beer. We have long lamented the lack of good beer on Princess cruises. For those who ask about the (now defunct) Sea Witch beer I can tell you that it was not good beer. It was a poor attempt at real beer and we don't miss it at all.

We had the beverage package as a perk on our last two cruises. 28 days and 14 days. My wife drank the Newcastle on tap o the longer cruise (and I even had a couple) and on the second cruise I had a couple of Heineken because there was nothing else and my wife had a few of some other brand we didn't recognize and I can't remember but it was better than the other stuff that was offered. We both miss good beer when cruising but make it a point of drinking the local beer onshore. Granted, it can be hard to find a good beer but we like to try the local stuff. At least in Hawaii you can go to the Kona Brewery if you happen to have Kona as a port. On our 28 day cruise Apia was cancelled due to ongoing port work so they substituted an extra port in Hawaii and we stopped at Kona. We naturally visited the brew pub.

I drank a lot of Talisker as well as Bloody Marys and Tanqueray and Tonic. I also had my share of Chairman of the Board Martinis. Beer just can't be a priority on a Princess cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

539 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by Potstech
What is considered " drinkable" beer is up to the person drinking it. Apparently out of 3000 passengers there are many who have found the beer onboard "drinkable" as they can be seen consuming it in various venues throughout he ship. So it would seem you are in the minority and destined to be beerless onbaord for the forseeable future. Enjoy your beer in the ports you visit.

Yet other lines have it available on tap. I know for fact RCL and NCL. Poster the issue with the reply is the older posters on this board don’t want any changes or innovations with the Princess product. I am surprised with the changes Princess is making to attract a younger demographic of on board spenders this has not come up before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
13,832 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
IMO, the OP has a legitimate complaint. With as popular as craft beers are, you'd think Princess would have more to choose from and thereby, increase their bar sales. That's all the OP wants to do - spend his money on the ship. You'd think Princess would want to assist him in that endeavor.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
43 Completed Cruises so far - Princess Elite, RCI Diamond, Celebrity Elite, Cunard Platinum, Azamara Discoverer
Upcoming Cruises:
Left for 2018: Azamara Quest
& Emerald Princess
2019: Ruby Princess, Royal Princess & Jewel OTS
2020: Royal Princess, Celebrity Summit & 2 more TBD
Issaquah, WA
3,985 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Did they not have any Alaskan Brewing beers on board? They have every year I've gone, except for the 1-2 years that they replaced it with SeaWitch. They have had 2-3 varieties, though not an IPA that I recall. I can't stand IPA myself, but I've been very happy with Alaskan Amber. Way better than the other crap beer they serve.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sherry

Carnival Spirit - Alaska - July 11, 2001
Star Princess - Alaska - July 26, 2009 - Honeymoon!!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 14, 2010 - 1st Anniversary!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 6, 2011 - With the family this time!
Golden Princess - Alaska - July 21, 2012 - 3rd Anniversary!
Star Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2013 - With Mom and Aunt!
Grand Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2014 - With 4 teens/young adults!
Crown Princess - Alaska - July 25, 2015 - Splurged on a balcony!
Westerdam - Alaska - July 23, 2016 - First time on Holland America!
Emerald Princess - Alaska - July 23, 2017 - Family cruise before sending my baby to college
Star Princess - Alaska - July 21, 2018 - Northbound