How can Princess accomodate 3K passengers and have NO drinkable beer?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:24 PM.
3,820 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by bohica
Well that will probably happen, this was the first, likely the last on Princess, but do you really think that's their marketing strategy? Sail out of Seattle, home of the birth of craft beer (along with PDX) but no offer anything crafty? They can bill seven and a half bucks for a bottle of beer, wouldn't you think they would WANT to have stuff the passengers want?
If I handed you a free Corona would you drink it? I always give the beer away that we receive in our room. Men are very happy to take it off my hands...they think they've died and gone to heaven. We're not beer drinkers, we like our wine. I wouldn't stop cruising Princess because they don't have what I like to drink. More money in my pocket. Even the wine at the Captain's party is iffy, but we still go and get a free glass. Find a cruise line that carries the beer you like to drink and be done with it. You're the one paying the $$$ so get what you like.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruises

05/2018 Grand Princess - Alaska

01/2018 Grand Princess - Hawaii
10/2017 Crown Princess - New England
05/2017 Grand Princess - Alaska
02/2017 Grand Princess - Hawaii
11/2016 Royal Princess - Caribbean
10/2016 Caribbean Princess - New England
5/2016 Carnival Legend - Alaska
4/2016 Coral Princess - Panama Canal
2/2016 Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera
1/2016 Ruby Princess - Hawaii
12/2015 Island Princess - Panama Canal
9/2015 Carnival Miracle - Mexico
5/2015 Golden Princess - Alaska
4/2015 Crown Princess - California Coastal
1/2015 Star Princess - Hawaii
10/2014 Star Princess--Mexico
8/2014 Carnival Imagination--Mexico
5/2014 Star Princess (Alaska)
2/2014 Sapphire Princess--Mexico
11/2013 Grand Princess--Hawaii
8/2013 Carnival Miracle--Alaska
1/2013 Inspiration--Mexico
1/2013 Inspiration (b2b)--Mexico
10/2012 Island Princess (Panama Canal)
10/2010 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
10/2010 Carnival Spirit-b2b--Mexico
1/2010 Carnival Splendor--Mexico
1/2009 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
11/2007 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
1/2004 Diamond Princess--Mexico
11/2003 Carnival Pride--Mexico
12/2002 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1/2001 Carnival Elation--Mexico
5/2000 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1986 - RCCL Song of America--Caribbean
1984 - RCCL Song of Norway-
-Caribbean
Florida
1,790 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Does Disney still allow you to bring beer onboard? - if so, problem solved...

of course, you will be paying triple the price of a Princess cruise with the ship overrun by kids...but, hey...you got your desired beer !
WA state
3,496 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by crawford
You make a good point. I don't drink a lot of beer but some variety with microbrews is nice. My guess is that they get very nice deal$ from the big guys and can sustain smaller beer inventories on their ships. With the likes of Budweiser buying up many microbreweries, it would be great to have a couple available. Ideas of a beer or two on draft for $4 would, IMHO, bring more people to the bars, too.
Make a suggestion to Princess, why don't you? I know for a fact that they do like to hear suggestions on how to improve/add to the cruise experience on their ships. You never can tell, if it's presented the right way, you might even see your suggestion adopted somewhere down the road! It certainly couldn't hurt!

Tom
3,521 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Princess is running a very large supply chain, covering a very large geographic area. Trying to do so, while needing to keep cost as low as possible and the process as efficient as possible.

That means dealing with large beer suppliers and sticking brands that appeal to a large number of people. Ships have limited space and they need to make sure whatever is brought on board is consumed.

Stocking low volume, microbrews, with limited audiences would be less efficient and higher cost.

Some lines that have tried the microbrew pub lounge have backed away from it.
Oceanside Ca
30 Posts
Joined May 2008
I am another IPA drinker and agree that not having one is inexcusable. Been to a lot of places here in So Cal and the only one that did not have at least one IPA was an old VFW bar��
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Star Princess 9-19-2018 Alaska 12 days
Ruby Princess 10-2015 Hawaii 15 days
Caribbean Princess 8-2008 Caribbean 9 days
Diamond Princess 2006 Mexico 7 days
Vancouver, BC
104 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
We always thought they should renovate the stupid chocolate shop on Plaza Deck (thinking specifically of the Star) and turn that into a Craft Beer Bar - they could restock with kegs from their ports of call (again thinking West Coast/Alaska./Hawaii). Some of the NCL ships have a brewhouse/lounge/bar where they bring on beer from ports of call, so it must be possible...

In any case, agree with the OP - the beer selection is dismal, even for bottled beer and it really would not take much to fix. Keep up with the suggestions and maybe one day they will listen. And throwing it out there - one of our favourite things to do in port is find a local craft brewery and sample a flight
14,677 Posts
Joined May 2005
Forget about the beer.. I want them to bring back the selection of hard ciders.

But truly.... what I really want is better quality food...just sayin'

OP...like you said u have no choice on in what cruise line is picked...so suck it up and enjoy the get away. Then on our return make your concern to the cruise line.

Lri
Great White North, Eh!
4,862 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
The problem with craft beers is probably the same as with Canadian wines. I asked at a wine tasting why they didn't have any and I was told that not enough was made to supply the fleet. Made sense to me. I'd much rather keep the wines I love the way they are then to have Jackson Triggs go all out to supply Princess cruises and ruin a truly great product.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Crozet, VA, USA
378 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by Pierlesscruisers
Make a suggestion to Princess, why don't you? I know for a fact that they do like to hear suggestions on how to improve/add to the cruise experience on their ships. You never can tell, if it's presented the right way, you might even see your suggestion adopted somewhere down the road! It certainly couldn't hurt!

Tom
I'll stick to a wine package, thanks !
Vancouver, BC
19,019 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by Anubi
The problem with craft beers is probably the same as with Canadian wines. I asked at a wine tasting why they didn't have any and I was told that not enough was made to supply the fleet. Made sense to me. I'd much rather keep the wines I love the way they are then to have Jackson Triggs go all out to supply Princess cruises and ruin a truly great product.
You're not calling Jackson Triggs a truly great product are you? Please tell me you're talking about something else.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming next
September 2018...Crete & London land trip
May 2019...Celebrity Constellation Rome - Barcelona
October 2019...Celebrity Reflection Iberian Peninsular
April 2020 ..Radiance of the Seas - Sydney to Honolulu

Kauai Land Trip 2018/Queensland, Australia Land Trip - Celebrity Solstice Vancouver to Honolulu - Crete Land Trip 2017/Australia Land Trip - Celebrity Constellation - Greek Isles 2016/Hawaii Land Trip 2015/Christmas and New Years in Hawaii/European Christmas Markets - Land Trip/Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997
Newport, South Wales, UK
2,771 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Another beer snob here, and being from the original home of 'Real Ale/Craft Beer' the UK. Princess is a bit of a desert when it comes to decent beer. Princess have started selling 'Bath Gem' Ale on Southampton sailings which is from a local brewery. Only other decent beer was on an Alaskan cruise. P&O (British cruise line owned by carnival) have 3 Real ales on tap and 24 different bottled real ales.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess - Caribbean Dream 3rd Jan 2009
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 22nd Nov 2009
Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera 3rd Oct 2010
P&O Arcadia - Baltics 7th July 2011
Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Med 4th Nov 2011
Caribbean Princess - Norway & Iceland 20th July 2012
Celebrity Millennium - South East Asia 9th Dec 2012
Crown Princess - Mediterranean Medley 11th May 2013
Coral Princess - Alaska Northbound 28th Aug 2013
Emerald Princess - Canaries & Iberia 31st May 2014
Thomson Majesty - Aegean Delights 10th Oct 2014
Thomson Majesty - Adriatic Explorer 17th Oct 2014
Rhapsody of the Seas - Aegean 22nd June 2015
Explorer of the Seas - Middle East & Asia 23rd Oct 2015
Celebrity Millennium - Ultimate Japan & Hong Kong with Mt Fuji by Bullet Train 13th Oct 2016
Vision of the Seas - Dubai & Emirates 23rd Jan 2017
Crown Princess - Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice 17 Jun 2017
Crown Princess - Classic Canada & New England 4th Oct 2017
P&O Oriana - Canaries & Iberia 9th Mar 2018
Sapphire Princess - Spain & France 5th May 2018
Sun Princess - 5 Day NSW Tour and New Zealand 20th Nov 2018

Royal Princess - Western Caribbean & 3 night Miami Stay 5th Jan 2019
Island Princess - Pacific Wine Country & 3 night Seattle stay 24th April 2019

Coral Princess - Rio, Iguazu Falls, South America Cruise & Machu Picchu 20th Feb 2020

London
284 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Originally posted by tanzer22pilot
This is beyond what is known as a “first world problem”. In fact it is more of a “Seattle hipster problem”.

Looks like a Carnaval cruise for your future. Do you really think a cruise line could stock thousands of different craft beers?
They could stock a good few. Other cruise lines do. But that’s fine you continue with your domestic US beer in an aluminium bottle.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Instagram Feed https://www.instagram.com/geoffa30/
London
284 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Originally posted by Pierlesscruisers

Tom
I provide the same feedback about beer after every Princess cruise but nothing has changed. Although they did have a nice Belgium beer in the MDR on the Caribbean Princess in March. 10%ABV but around $11 plus gratuity per bottle.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Instagram Feed https://www.instagram.com/geoffa30/
Great White North, Eh!
4,862 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by Cruise Junky
You're not calling Jackson Triggs a truly great product are you? Please tell me you're talking about something else.
Yup. Love it, especially some of their shiraz. If the gov't would stop being dicks maybe we'd get some stellar BC wines in Ontario.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Vancouver, BC
19,019 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by Anubi
Yup. Love it, especially some of their shiraz. If the gov't would stop being dicks maybe we'd get some stellar BC wines in Ontario.
Lol. With that I can agree.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming next
September 2018...Crete & London land trip
May 2019...Celebrity Constellation Rome - Barcelona
October 2019...Celebrity Reflection Iberian Peninsular
April 2020 ..Radiance of the Seas - Sydney to Honolulu

Kauai Land Trip 2018/Queensland, Australia Land Trip - Celebrity Solstice Vancouver to Honolulu - Crete Land Trip 2017/Australia Land Trip - Celebrity Constellation - Greek Isles 2016/Hawaii Land Trip 2015/Christmas and New Years in Hawaii/European Christmas Markets - Land Trip/Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997
Stamford, Connecticut
96 Posts
Joined May 2018
princess is not a party ship, so they don't focus as much on beer.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
February 2014- Ruby Princess

April 2013- Carnival Imagination

July 2012- Star Princess

Ivanhoe, IL
6,106 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
Originally posted by piescruises
princess is not a party ship, so they don't focus as much on beer.
Celebrity is certainly not a party ship, but Celebrity has a significantly better beer selection.