How can Princess accomodate 3K passengers and have NO drinkable beer?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:21 PM.
Williamsburg, VA
306 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
They had the various beers, Seawitch IPA was at least drinkable, but, now Princess is back to serving no good beer, no more beers other than the macro breweries. I smuggle beer on-board, not to save $, but, to have a drinkable brew. The parent line Carnival knows decent beer is needed, but, Princess assumes that the "elder" folks don't care, or , just want wine? Makes me want to consider other cruise lines, even though I'm Elite.
Australia
161 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Let's not start on the 2 choices of Merlot and the awful coffee regardless of whether it's free of "Coffee card" coffee. It would take allot to steer me away from Princess, so the bad beer isn't enough. Really should have a couple of decent beers though, it's a shame.
Richmond, Virginia
2,876 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by CruiseVA
They had the various beers, Seawitch IPA was at least drinkable, but, now Princess is back to serving no good beer, no more beers other than the macro breweries. I smuggle beer on-board, not to save $, but, to have a drinkable brew. The parent line Carnival knows decent beer is needed, but, Princess assumes that the "elder" folks don't care, or , just want wine? Makes me want to consider other cruise lines, even though I'm Elite.
Seawitch was the worst beer I have tasted in over 20 years. Glad it is gone.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lifetime member of the Goat Locker
USA
991 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by bohica
So I'm a bit of a beer snob, but even Carnival on a recent cruise had an IPA available on draft ( for 4 bucks no less). Princess selection is abysmal, and the same in all the bars. Made the call early to just rely on the Woodford Old Fashioned - but alas the bartending is also weak (Ruby Princess, Seattle Alaska RT). Could not be more disappointed in the selection, nor the value for money spent. Really - if there was just ONE IPA on the menu, I could cope and manage even whilst being gouged for said beer - but to be gouged while having to order a Heineken or a Grolsch? Come on....
You need to pair up with the guy who doesn't like Celebrity's hamburger offerings. Maybe together you can imbibe and nash ashore somewhere since cruising to visit interesting ports, towns and countries is not to your liking.
New Cumberland,PA, USA
30,168 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Globehoppers
You need to pair up with the guy who doesn't like Celebrity's hamburger offerings. Maybe together you can imbibe and nash ashore somewhere since cruising to visit interesting ports, towns and countries is not to your liking.

Ahhh, but Celebrity does stock a pretty decent selection of beer . They even had Dogfish Head 90....which quickly brought a smile to my thirsty face.

Hank
Florida
1,790 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Hlitner
Ahhh, but Celebrity does stock a pretty decent selection of beer . They even had Dogfish Head 90....which quickly brought a smile to my thirsty face.

Hank
of the Dogfish Head 90 - how many of those would you drink a day, and how many on a 7 day cruise?
438 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
ColoCruise - "I agree however.....
So far there is a rear end for every seat and no slow down in sight."

Originally posted by MrMan
Following the business plan of Blackberry, Beta-Max, AOL, Sears...........
Radio Shack just called and they want the 80's back.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
8 Princess, 2 RCCL, 1 HAL, 1 NCL (All Caribbean Itineraries)
Williamsburg, VA
306 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by Potstech
Seawitch was the worst beer I have tasted in over 20 years. Glad it is gone.
Not as bad as any of the beers that they actually do have. I'm guessing you're not an IPA fan, while it wasn't the best IPA, it wasn't the worst I've had.
New Cumberland,PA, USA
30,168 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by voljeep
of the Dogfish Head 90 - how many of those would you drink a day, and how many on a 7 day cruise?
Oh My! The days of trying to outdrink the next guy have passed me by many decades ago. I am now a mere Senior who enjoys good beer, wine, scotch, cognac, bourbon, etc. Accordingly I do not keep score. But when I first spotted the Dogfish Head at the burger bar, the bar tender did give me a big grin and ask, "how many of those can you drink" and then he issued a caution. If I am on deck, am thirsty, then its my beer of choice, But I doubt if I ever had more than 3 on a sea day. But I was longing for Dogfish Head 120 and the bar tender did laugh and told me "next cruise."

But let me try to kick up a storm (not Stormy Daniels). IMHO Lite Beer is not even beer but something akin to what we used to call (50 years ago) "Near Beer." Even my son-in-law, who is a big beer drinker, will sometimes drink Lite Beer. I find this very disappointing....especially for a son-in-law .

Hank
Richmond, Virginia
2,876 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by CruiseVA
Not as bad as any of the beers that they actually do have. I'm guessing you're not an IPA fan, while it wasn't the best IPA, it wasn't the worst I've had.
You are right I am not an IPA fan but have tried several. Not again. I just think if beer is so important to having a good time on a cruise I wonder about you. Yes I drink beer and hard liquor but do not let it determine which cruise line I use. And I do not insist some multi million dollar corporation change things just to make me or a few others happy. Sorry folks this is as bad as the butter conspiracy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lifetime member of the Goat Locker
308 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Fact: Taste is subjective and everyone is entitled to their own favorite beer.
Fact: There are hundreds, if not thousands, of beers and therefore favorite beers.
Fact: Storage space aboard a ship is a critical limitation.
Fact: Cooler space at a ship's bar is extremely limited.
Fact: If you want every ship's bar to have your favorite beer in adequate quantity then you are going to have to buy your own ship.
You know, one's taste in beer and wine is very, very subjective. If Princess carried even two craft beers, the number of complaints would be the same. There will always be passengers who are bitterly disappointed about the beer, the wine, the butter, the pizza, and so forth. If that ruins the cruise for you, then take a land vacation by car, where you can stock up on whatever microbrew suits you and carry it in the car trunk.

When the ship docks in port, find a bar that stocks a list of beers that suit you, and enjoy your time there. When you get to the level of being a self-confessed beer snob or wine snob, you get into a really rarified atmosphere. If the lack of your brand of the "perfect beer" is not available in port or on board ship, then it's best to book another cruise line with a different itinerary --- or better yet, just stay home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ivanhoe, IL
6,106 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
Originally posted by EastBay Cruisers
You know, one's taste in beer and wine is very, very subjective. If Princess carried even two craft beers, the number of complaints would be the same. There will always be passengers who are bitterly disappointed about the beer, the wine, the butter, the pizza, and so forth. If that ruins the cruise for you, then take a land vacation by car, where you can stock up on whatever microbrew suits you and carry it in the car trunk.

When the ship docks in port, find a bar that stocks a list of beers that suit you, and enjoy your time there. When you get to the level of being a self-confessed beer snob or wine snob, you get into a really rarified atmosphere. If the lack of your brand of the "perfect beer" is not available in port or on board ship, then it's best to book another cruise line with a different itinerary --- or better yet, just stay home.
My wife and I do not consider the beer selection as a high priority on our cruise selection criteria.

I have been on a significant number of cruises on various lines and has best as I can recall, Princess has the worst beer selection. It is a sign that Princess is not keeping up with the trend over the last 15 years. I really do not think it is a question of being subjective. The other choices of alcohol or to a lesser degree the wine selection is much more competitive.

As I mentioned previously if you want (or wish to see) a nice beer selection, try a Celebrity cruise.
West San Jose, California
1,354 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by Tedferg
On the one hand there is a simple solution sell Alaskan Amber on all ships. This is a 'good enough' beer for a large number of people who find Heineken and Grolsch to be bland - I drink both of these because there is nothing better. I will also substitute Bass.

I love several IPA but there are many that I find too hoppy and there in lies the problem.

I am amazed to hear many many times that Bud Lite or Coors Lite is the biggest selling beer in a bar.
Ahhh, Alaskan Amber!!! Yes! Well, not for me personally, but can I tell you that i have never seen an "AMBER ALE" on board any celebrity or princess ship? DH really prefers ambers, and does not care for IPA, of which there were a few on Celebrity. C'mon, Princess, you can do better.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Upcoming Cruises:
Thanksgiving 2018, Celebrity Equinox, Eastern Caribbean
April 2019, Celebrity Equinox, Western Caribbean
Oct 2019, 5-day Regal Princess, Forward Cabin; New England B2B with
Oct 2019, 10-day Regal Princess Repo, AFT cabin; NY to FLL via Arruba, Caymans and St Maartin

2005-Celebrity Mercury,Alaska, 2005-Celebrity Mercury, Mexico
2006-Silversea Silver Cloud, Fjords,
2009-RC Mariner, Mexico,
2011-Celebrity Eclipse, Italian Med,
-Princess Sapphire, Mexico;
-April, Celebrity Equinox, Caribbean; June, Emerald Princess-Scandinavia/Baltic; Sept, Celebrity Century, Calif Coastal; December, NCL Star, Mexico.
2014-April, Grand Princess-Pacific Coastal; Dec 20 & 27, RC Serenade, New Orleans Bahamas and Carib;
2015-April 5, 2015, RC Navigator, Galveston Western Caribbean; August 7, 2015 Celebrity Solstice, Alaska
2016-April 3rd, NCL Jade, Western Caribbean out of Houston; June 10th, Celebrity Solstice, Alaska out of Seattle, December, NCL Jade, Western Caribbean from Tampa
2017-April 2nd, Celebrity Infinity WB Panama Canal
2018-February 18, Celebrity Silhouette, Western Caribbean
Sacramento Area, CA
1,199 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
When Princess had the SeaWitch beers we preferred their Denali which was more towards 'Amber'.

It is interesting that Princess had SeaWitch - shows they are not totally unaware or uncaring about beer selection.

Summary statement - many people are not beer drinkers and many of these drink Bud or Bud Lite when they want a long cold drink and not Soda. These beers are generally referred to as 'Lawn Mower Beers'

These Non-Beer drinkers like to accuse Beer Drinkers of being Snobs - No, if you do not drink beer you do not understand how bland or generic the current selections are.

Finally, for me, IPA has become a fad and many micros go overboard to make an extra hoppy IPA. I know several IPAs that are great and others that make me shake my head.

I think the thread should be aimed more as, a request to broaden the beer selection from generic, bland, Pilsner types of beer rather than a search for someone's favorite IPA.
Palmdale, Ca
35,988 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Tedferg
When Princess had the SeaWitch beers we preferred their Denali which was more towards 'Amber'.

It is interesting that Princess had SeaWitch - shows they are not totally unaware or uncaring about beer selection.

Summary statement - many people are not beer drinkers and many of these drink Bud or Bud Lite when they want a long cold drink and not Soda. These beers are generally referred to as 'Lawn Mower Beers'

These Non-Beer drinkers like to accuse Beer Drinkers of being Snobs - No, if you do not drink beer you do not understand how bland or generic the current selections are.

Finally, for me, IPA has become a fad and many micros go overboard to make an extra hoppy IPA. I know several IPAs that are great and others that make me shake my head.

I think the thread should be aimed more as, a request to broaden the beer selection from generic, bland, Pilsner types of beer rather than a search for someone's favorite IPA.
Well said.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Sky Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 11/19
Future: Star Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 11/18

Pacific Princess Panama Canal 05/17 - 17 Days
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15 - 16 Days
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15 - 3 Days
Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13 - 18 Days Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread

Florida
1,790 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Princess sells beer for the masses, just like their cruises

Princess can sell 6-8 beers to a single person out by the pool for a few hours,

or

2- maybe 3 "craft beers" to a 'more discerning' consumer

follow the money...
6,322 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by bohica
Really - if there was just ONE IPA on the menu, I could cope and manage even whilst being gouged for said beer - but to be gouged while having to order a Heineken or a Grolsch? Come on....
It sounds like you should review the beer offerings on various cruise lines, and pick one which matches your needs.

I'm sure if you ask about the onboard choices in the various fora here, someone will post an answer for you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
Virgina
4,894 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I love first world problems threads..always keeps life in perspective.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Royal Caribbean February 2000 (Eastern)
Carnival Valor March 2007 (Western)
Carnival Legend March 2008 (Western)
Carnival Fascination March 2009 (Key West/Nassau)
Carnival Glory August 2009 (Eastern)
Carnival Glory June 2010 (Canada)
Carnival Fascination December 2010 (Bahamas)
Carnival Legend March 2012 (Western)
Caribbean Princess March 2013 (Southern)
Carnival Victory January 2014 (Western)
Carnival Fantasy March 2014 (Eastern)
Grand Princess May 2014 (Alaska)
Carnival Sunshine February 2015 (Western)
Carnival Conquest December 2015 (Western)
Carnival Sunshine October 2016 (Canada)
Carnival Magic December 2016 (Eastern)
Carnival Sunshine October 2017 (Norfolk to Bahamas)
Carnival Triumph December 2017 (Yucatan)
Carnival Fascination March 2018 (Island hopper)
Palmdale, Ca
35,988 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by A&Jfamily
I love first world problems threads..always keeps life in perspective.
Sorry, but can you please explain.....
Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Sky Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 11/19
Future: Star Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 11/18

Pacific Princess Panama Canal 05/17 - 17 Days
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15 - 16 Days
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15 - 3 Days
Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13 - 18 Days Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread

Sacramento Area, CA
1,199 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by voljeep
Princess sells beer for the masses, just like their cruises

Princess can sell 6-8 beers to a single person out by the pool for a few hours,

or

2- maybe 3 "craft beers" to a 'more discerning' consumer

follow the money...
Why not accommodate both groups selling 8 Buds and 3 Craft ?