[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:27 PM.
Houston, TX
3,361 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by Id rather be diving
Kathy, when you referenced following up on room assignments, did you follow up directly with the lodges or with the special needs sept?
I actually ended up following up with both. Special Needs just kept telling me that the request had been made and it would be taken care of re the request. But we have had bad experiences with various hotels not assigning a wheelchair accessible room which has a roll in shower and so I ended up contacting the lodges directly. I found out that the lodges don't actually open until around mid May, but I followed up directly with the lodges as soon as they opened. It was a good thing I did because the general Lodge reservations had only considered the roll in shower portion a request, not a necessity, and we had been assigned to rooms at one of the hotels without a roll in shower. This was changed as a result of my call.

I also realized that I didn't include our experience at Kenai on the Kenai Fjords National Park Boat Tour which the OP mentioned in his review. At the time we booked, this tour was a part of the overall tour, not a separate shore excursion. That changed within the two years we originally booked, but our original booking was honored. The bus which took us to/from Seward for this tour was the same one we took the day before and had a lift. There were several buses of cruise passengers who went on this tour. We were assigned a table next to a window where wheelchair passengers were placed and the deck outside of the window was roped off so passengers couldn't stand in front of you. We did have to do a transfer to the seat at the table and the wheelchair was taken away but remained on the boat in case we needed it. There was no room at the tables for wheelchairs and so they were removed and either left at the dock (for passengers who could walk) or put in a front area of the boat. The tour was good except that our disabled passenger was not allowed to go outside on the deck and had to remain at the table. The views were generally good, but if the activity was not on that side of the ship, then we couldn't see it. (although I did go out on deck sometimes for photos).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
Colorado
716 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Kathy, thanks for the great info!!

We too have had issues with hotel rooms. In fact we were just at a Hilton property in ND in June where the ADA room was not compliant at all. The shower head was so high that the water didn’t reach the bench. Also, the shower head would not fit in the bar next to the bench. No one in a chair would have been able to reach up and get the head down. I had to stand on my tiptoes to reach it. We got both nights free as a result. The kicker is we had been there seven months earlier and had reported it then. They did nothing to fix it in all that time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Star Princess 1996 & 1997(Eastern Caribbean), 2012 (Hawaii)
Sea Princess 1999 (Western Caribbean)
Golden Princess 2002 (Eastern Caribbean)
Caribbean Princess 2004, 2005, 2008(Eastern) 2006 (Western), 2014 (9 day Caribbean Sampler)
Dawn Princess 2005 (Eastern and Western)
Emerald Princess 2007- (Transatlantic Venice to FLL), 2009 (Eastern Caribbean 40th Birthday cruise), 2015 (Western Caribbean); 2016 (EB Transatlantic)
Ruby Princess 2009 - Southern Caribbean
Vision of the Seas - 2008 (Mexican Rivera)
Liberty of the Seas - 2011 (Transatlantic)
Celebrity Silhouette - 2015 (Westbound TA)
Carnival Vista - 2017 - Western Caribbean
Celebrity Constellation - 2017 - Rome to Abu Dhabi - Formula 1 Grand Prix!
Norwegian Breakaway - 2018 - B2B Western Caribbean
Oregon
104 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Wonderful review. We did the same tour 2 years ago and loved reliving it with you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Harrisonburg, Virginia
17 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
We are both widows who traveled extensively before we lost our husbands and miss travelling and this one really appeals to us. We thought of 2020 but I am not getting any younger so will splurge for 2019.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pat Geary
--------------
Future Cruises
7 Day New England/Canada - Regal Princess 9/22/2018

Completed Cruises
14 Day Panama Canal - Coral Princess 3/13/2012
7 Day Southern Caribbean Explorer - Caribbean Princess - 2/28/2010
7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Crown Princess - 2/8/2009
10 Day Panama Canal - Coral Princess - 10/31/2007
7 Day Western Caribbean - Star Princess - 1/31/2007
7 Day Alaska Cruise Sapphire Princess - 9/2/2006
QE II - Transatlantic Crossing - 1986
Wisconsin
329 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by gearyhome
We are both widows who traveled extensively before we lost our husbands and miss travelling and this one really appeals to us. We thought of 2020 but I am not getting any younger so will splurge for 2019.
We had two ladies on our tour in the exact situation. They had a grand time! We had dinner with them one evening in the lodge. They loved the tour! I’m glad to hear you’ll be doing it sooner rather than later.