Is the Princess fleet getting a little...dated?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:18 PM.
Wildcat Country!
1,704 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by nukesubsailor
The Royal Princess entered the fleet in 2013. The Regal Princess entered the fleet in 2014. The Majestic Princess entered the fleet in 2017. The Sky Princess will enter the fleet in 2019.

These ships don't come off some assembly line like automobiles. Four new ships in 7 years seems like a pretty good effort to maintain a modern fleet. I don't know what the construction rate for newly built ships is for other cruise lines but I think Princess is doing pretty good. The only thing Princess has failed to do is to ask me to help design the "perfect" cruise ship.
Was going to post something similar. In addition to these 4, they have at least 2 others already booked. They are going to have as many newer ships as any other line. We were on the CB last week, and the ship itself looked fine to me for a 14 year old ship. Now, I did post my HVAC issue in my thread, but the rest of the ship was fine (other than the food and the new buffet area).
I come from a land down under
26,016 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by Thrak
I would hate sailing on a ship with a "mall" down the middle! Balcony cabins overlooking a huge shopping area. Bleh... Our children are grown and gone. We have no use for all the bell and whistles offered on the huge mega ships. I feel lucky that we started with Princess and found a match for our wants/needs. I know others who tried cruising but started out with different lines and never cruised again after that first time. Princess meets our needs and fills a slot that seems to appeal to quite a few folks.

I can agree that some of the ships could use work. I know that when we sailed Emerald last year they were working on the plumbing issue during the cruise. It seems they were adding additional access areas and such so that when some clown blocked the plumbing it would be faster and easier to address the issue. Blocked plumbing can happen on any ship and it's caused by clueless or "entitled" passengers.

It's good that there are other lines with different options so that everybody can find what they like. We like Princess and will stick with the line.
We are the same. If our first cruise had been on a mega mall, it probably would have been our last.

Fortunately started with Pacific Princess and was hooked.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Chico, California
11,391 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by GUT2407
We are the same. If our first cruise had been on a mega mall, it probably would have been our last.

Fortunately started with Pacific Princess and was hooked.
We know a couple who tried cruising but their first (and last) cruise was a 7 day Caribbean cruise on Carnival during Spring Break. D'Oh!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

13,600 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by Thrak
We know a couple who tried cruising but their first (and last) cruise was a 7 day Caribbean cruise on Carnival during Spring Break. D'Oh!
I have a friend who says that if you don't like cruising, you just haven't found the right line for you yet.

We were on the Caribbean Princess in April....it was the best cruise we've had in years from the standpoint of service and food quality. Those things don't really depend on age of the ship. And I do appreciate that Princess launches a new ship every couple of years...so the fleet as a whole isn't that old. We just have a way of choosing some of the older vessels.
Land of Bad Comedy
3,818 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Not sure this has anything to do with the OP’s question, but

If we had to only cruise on ships with less than 1000 passengers our choices would too limited.
Still no Rowboats taking passengers on voyages.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Work in Process
We live on a small lake in rural Nebr.
7,779 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
We've sailed on at least 7 different lines, but the more on Princess than any other. I can honestly say that we never have had a cruise that we disliked. We like the Princess product very well, but also enjoy the more theme-like mega ships.

For us though, we find Princess to be very well-priced and often great priced. This is probably partly because we usually cruise at off or shoulder seasons, like early Dec. and two week, or more, cruises. If you look at the brochure prices, yes, they look pricey, but hopefully no one pays those prices, on any cruise line.

For instance, we could sail in a balcony on the Regal for $499 the first week in Dec. And, although we like kids and have cruised with kids, Princess does have fewer kids if you want a quieter atmosphere.

I also think they have quite a few newer ships either out or coming out. The Regal class of ships is not our favorite, largely because of the layout, but it's still a great ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SciFi
Riverside, CA
3,054 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
We had a break from cruising due to DW's ankle break, but returned to the Ruby three weeks ago. Even though the Ruby is due for dry dock in this fall, she was neat and clean. No rough around the edges could be seen. Been on ships due for dry dock, and this one was in the best shape I have seen.

We are like many others here and sail for the itinerary. As such, we have sailed other lines and found them in no better shape than the Princess ships at that time. As for the Mega, we have sailed the Royal and will sail her again next year. Love the fact there AREN'T all the gimmicks on board. If those are what you are looking for, then power to you, you pick the ship as the destination. Just shop ships for the latest and greatest gimmick. Mean while, I plan on getting off the boat in some destination I have never been to in order to get a "taste" of the area and see if I want to go back for a longer stay!

As for the Grand, is she due to go to P&O? have not looked at her schedule.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
EMAIL me if you dare (I don't bite) In Google Chrome, if the email link does not take you to your email page, just right click the link, select copy email. In Explorer select Properties and copy the address.

Future:
Coral Princess Pacific Rim Sept to Nov 2018
Royal Princess Mexican Riviera April B2B with Royal Princess Coastal Wine Cruise May 2019
Princess Only:
Ruby Princess Alaska 2018: Crown Princess Coastal 2016; Star Princess 2016 South America; Caribbean Princess 2015 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2015 West Coast Getaways; Ruby Princess 2014 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2014 Coastal; Golden Princess 2013 Coastal; Royal Princess 2013 Inaugural Grand Med; Sapphire Princess 2012 Mexico; Crown Princess 2010 Iceland/Norway; Golden Princess 2009 Coastal; Star Princess 2009 Sydney to LA; Star Princess 2009 Alaska; Sapphire Princess 2009 Coastal; Island Princess 2008 Panama Canal; Golden Princess 2008 Mexico; Golden Princess 2007 Mexico; Regal Princess 2007 (Last Sailing) Hawaii ; Island Princess 2005 Hawaii; Star Princess 2003 Mexico; Princess 2000 Canada/New England; Star Princess 1995 Caribbean; Princess 1995 Europe; Royal Princess 1994 Caribbean; Star Princess 1993 Alaska;
Others:
Northern Europe Fr, Ir, UK, Nor, Den, Bel; Pacific Coastal (3); Bermuda; Mexico (2); Alaska
13,600 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by TheRabbit
We had a break from cruising due to DW's ankle break, but returned to the Ruby three weeks ago. Even though the Ruby is due for dry dock in this fall, she was neat and clean. No rough around the edges could be seen. Been on ships due for dry dock, and this one was in the best shape I have seen.

We are like many others here and sail for the itinerary. As such, we have sailed other lines and found them in no better shape than the Princess ships at that time. As for the Mega, we have sailed the Royal and will sail her again next year. Love the fact there AREN'T all the gimmicks on board. If those are what you are looking for, then power to you, you pick the ship as the destination. Just shop ships for the latest and greatest gimmick. Mean while, I plan on getting off the boat in some destination I have never been to in order to get a "taste" of the area and see if I want to go back for a longer stay!

As for the Grand, is she due to go to P&O? have not looked at her schedule.
Golden is going to P&O in 2020....I'm sad because we like window suites.
San Antonio spaceship earth
8,339 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Princess is keeping up with new ships and maintaining their older ones. Every time we cruise they are doing some major maintenance to the ship. Last cruise they were replacing the wood on top of the balcony rails. Each cruise line markets to a different group. Carnival markets to young pax and families (the fun ship), RCL markets to a little older group with older children, HAL markets to a senior crowd that want a very peaceful experience. We do go on CCL latest ships not during summer or most school breaks and still have 200+ rugrats on board. Find your best fit and go with it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCCL: Rhapsody, 2003; Voyageur, 2008, 2009; Adventure, 2008; Navigator 2013; Mariner 2010, 2011
Holland America: Veendam, 2006
Princess: Caribbean 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018; Crown 2013, 2017; Emerald 2012, 2015, 2018; Golden 2012, 2014, 2015; Grand 2005, 2006; Island 2011, 2013; Regal 2016; Royal 2014; Ruby 2010, 2017, 2020; Sapphire 2019; Star 2014, 2019
Carnival: Elation 2005; Magic 2012, 2015; Breeze 2017, 2018; Vista 2019

castigat ridendo mores
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts - Mark Twain
2,209 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
[quote=nukesubsailor;56493964]The Royal Princess entered the fleet in 2013. The Regal Princess entered the fleet in 2014. The Majestic Princess entered the fleet in 2017. The Sky Princess will enter the fleet in 2019.

These ships don't come off some assembly line like automobiles. Four new ships in 7 years seems like a pretty good effort to maintain a modern fleet. I don't know what the construction rate for newly built ships is for other cruise lines but I think Princess is doing pretty good.

Super great points to make. There are a whole lot of people who sailing on a ship with over 3,500 passengers works, which is the capacity of all three new Princess ships.
For some 5,000 passengers works. For some, all the toys and mini-cities works.
But for some - smaller is better. We fall into that category. We will not sail on larger than 2500 pax ships. But that is just our preference and I am really glad Princess still has those offerings, even if they are older ships. JMHO
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Viking Sea - San Juan-Amazon RT - Nov 2018
Grand Princess - SFO RT to Vancouver BC, Sept 2018
Viking Star - Bergen- Stockholm 2015
Viking Star - Barcelona-Bergen 2015
HAL Ryndam - Istanbul- Barcelona 2014
HAL Ryndam - Athens -Istanbul 2014
Viking Skadi - Amsterdam- Budapest 2013
Princess - Western Mediterranean - 2010
Princess Golden - Alaska - 2010
Riverside, CA
3,054 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by moki'smommy
Golden is going to P&O in 2020....I'm sad because we like window suites.
More room to sew?

Thanks for the info. Heard she was going, but never heard a time line. A lot of complaints on cc, but the 4 times we sailed her, we had no problems.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
EMAIL me if you dare (I don't bite) In Google Chrome, if the email link does not take you to your email page, just right click the link, select copy email. In Explorer select Properties and copy the address.

Future:
Coral Princess Pacific Rim Sept to Nov 2018
Royal Princess Mexican Riviera April B2B with Royal Princess Coastal Wine Cruise May 2019
Princess Only:
Ruby Princess Alaska 2018: Crown Princess Coastal 2016; Star Princess 2016 South America; Caribbean Princess 2015 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2015 West Coast Getaways; Ruby Princess 2014 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2014 Coastal; Golden Princess 2013 Coastal; Royal Princess 2013 Inaugural Grand Med; Sapphire Princess 2012 Mexico; Crown Princess 2010 Iceland/Norway; Golden Princess 2009 Coastal; Star Princess 2009 Sydney to LA; Star Princess 2009 Alaska; Sapphire Princess 2009 Coastal; Island Princess 2008 Panama Canal; Golden Princess 2008 Mexico; Golden Princess 2007 Mexico; Regal Princess 2007 (Last Sailing) Hawaii ; Island Princess 2005 Hawaii; Star Princess 2003 Mexico; Princess 2000 Canada/New England; Star Princess 1995 Caribbean; Princess 1995 Europe; Royal Princess 1994 Caribbean; Star Princess 1993 Alaska;
Others:
Northern Europe Fr, Ir, UK, Nor, Den, Bel; Pacific Coastal (3); Bermuda; Mexico (2); Alaska
Palmdale, Ca
35,988 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
If I want a theme Park I’ll visit one, if I cruise I want a cruise.

Ditto.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Sky Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 11/19
Future: Star Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 11/18

Pacific Princess Panama Canal 05/17 - 17 Days
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15 - 16 Days
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15 - 3 Days
Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13 - 18 Days Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread

3,521 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Originally posted by donaldsc
As long as Princess keeps the Pacific Princess, I may sail on her on occasion. Otherwise, I am permanently out of there. As far as I am concerned, any ship with more than 1000 passengers is oversized. You would not get me on one of those oversized amusement park monstrosity mega ships if you gave me a cruise for nothing.

DON
The day of under 1000 passenger ships in any of the mainstream cruise line in coming to an end, as the few remaining age out.
League City, TX
41,839 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
I do not mind being on a ship with 3560 passengers.

What I mind is the limited number of ports that can handle that size ship.

What I also mind is the overcrowded ports that not only have my Princess ship that day, but up to 12 other ships, most of which also have a high number of passengers.

I miss the great Princess itineraries of the past that could go to such ports as Manaus or spend 10 days just within French Polynesia islands.
4 Posts
Joined Jul 2018
If I want a theme Park I’ll visit one, if I cruise I want a cruise.
Originally posted by RDC1
The day of under 1000 passenger ships in any of the mainstream cruise line in coming to an end, as the few remaining age out.
From what I have heard most people gripe about mega ships due to the type of crowds they draw BUT if we objectively speak on welcoming new amenities, theme-park attractions, and bigger ships across the board is it really all that bad? It's not like these rock climbing walls are taking up any precious swimming pool real estate or are replacing the spas that we all love. These ships are designed to accommodate it ALL. Something for everyone. It will still be a cruise...just with a more robust lido deck. Or have we all just become old fart cruisers that fear change .

So lets say you are on an itinerary that would never have the tweens and kids anyways. Non-tropical itinerary during the school year. If the ship was larger and had extra fun things to do on board with new furniture and updated staterooms would there really be anything to complain about? Are you going to sit on the new furnishings and complain that you miss the good ol' Princess beige. What I think OP is saying is that other cruise lines are doing complete overhauls and it looks like in the future most of their fleet will be darn good looking inside and out. No matter what sailing (popular or not).

My answer to this is to not be loyal to any particular cruise line. DW and I wouldn't miss any of our Captain's Circle perks if we had to sail another line. And I do have to agree that it does sting a little to pay a premium for a ship that is not up to par. In our upcoming Alaska sailing we booked with RC because the ship was larger/newer and it was shockingly less expensive than what Princess was offering sailing the exact same week. Also judging from the roll call there wont be much families on board.
Diablo, California
1,860 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Princess is like your grand dads Buick.

Not too loud, nothing to offend you, just middle of the road mediocrity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
" I No Longer Know If I Wish To Drown Myself In Love, Vodka or the Sea"
4 Posts
Joined Jul 2018
Originally posted by need2cruisesoon
Princess is like your grand dads Buick.

Not too loud, nothing to offend you, just middle of the road mediocrity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Sydney, Australia
8,655 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Rather than turning Princess into yet another theme-park cruise line, I'd like to see them improve the cabins - mostly the bathrooms and balconies, but also the decor. I think Princess took a step backwards with the design of the Royal class cabins, particularly the standard balcony cabins. The balconies are ridiculously small, and although the bathroom was a smidge better than on the Grand class ship, it's still inferior when compared with Celebrity.

I really like the decor of the public areas on Princess though. I feel like I'm on a ship, not in some glitzy, trendy, and slightly uncomfortable hotel lounge. I like the warm tones and the Art Nouveau touches. The Atrium on Royal is truly beautiful, although there is perhaps a bit too much shop space still. I love the whole-atrium Crooners on the Sun Class ships.

I would hate for Princess to become a clone of other lines. Those people who want flow riders, climbing walls, ice rinks, water slides, etc already have a choice of lines. I'd actually like to see them bring back the full Promenade decks, wide enough for loungers and a walking/running track. The Sanctuary is our favourite part of the ship for relaxation, and I'd hate to see that disappear on more ships like it has on Majestic. It would also be nice to have some awning-shaded deck space aft, as well as plenty of sunny spots.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Mar 2018 - Diamond Princess - Sydney to Yokohama
Sep 2017 - Royal Princess - Mediterranean
Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
Haines City, Fl
2,706 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
My two biggest complaints about Princess are the standard balcony cabins, which have no sofa, which all the mainstream lines have, and even on their newer ships, a shower curtain instead of a door. For me, neither is a deal breaker, but the cabin is just a way for people to pay more if they want a sofa and the shower curtain speaks volumes about what they will pay to build a ship. Cheap, cheap.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Fantasy
SS Norway
Carnival Triumph
Majesty of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Carnival Dream