A couple more LA-Hawaii-Ensenada-LA questions.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:48 AM.
Big Valley, Ca
183 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Planned Nov, 2019
Star Princes

Since this ship has to stop in Ensenada, (We've been so many times there is no reason to disembark this port), will we still be required to go through customs?

Is there any word if the ship might pass by close enough to see the Kilauea eruptions if the volcano is still active?

Chico, California
11,744 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by RocHed11
Planned Nov, 2019
Star Princes

Since this ship has to stop in Ensenada, (We've been so many times there is no reason to disembark this port), will we still be required to go through customs?

Is there any word if the ship might pass by close enough to see the Kilauea eruptions if the volcano is still active?
If you mean will you have to clear customs when returning to the US then the answer is YES. As for seeing the flowing lava then the answer is almost certainly NO.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

pa
8,547 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Planned Nov, 2019
Star Princes

No customs in Ensenada. Yes, Immigration/Customs in L.A.

No one knows since Hawaii sailings for the season have not yet started. Assuming the ship stops at Hilo, then it is possible when sailing from Hilo that the Captain might swing a little south to catch a glimpse of the lava flow, assuming it is still flowing.

See above
Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
24,394 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Yes, you’ll still go thru customs even if you do not go into Ensenada. Could be anything from full check to just being waved thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Hilo, Hi
845 Posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aloha,
Highly doubtful, as Hilo is usually the stop before Honolulu and the ship takes a northerly route to get there...away from the flow.

Tiki Dave
(Of Elua)
www.facebook.com/eluamusic
www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New Mexico
14,900 Posts
Joined May 2004
Even when we went from Hilo to Kona the ship was too far out to see any lava flow (which at that time was not the current flow location, but was the “old” flow further up the coast.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Mojave Desert
981 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
However pretty and unique an experience the lava flow, you do not want to be downwind of
Kīlauea if it starts giving off gases. SO2 converts to sulfuric acid in your lungs, and H2S smells
like ...hydrogen sulfide.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MV Royal Majesty • N Caribbean
MS Zenith • Bermuda
MS Rhapsody of the Seas • S Caribbean
MS Ryndam • Alaska
MS Horizon • Bermuda
MV Yorktown Clipper • San Francisco/Sacramento (!)
MS Paul Gauguin • Tahiti
MS Navigator • St Lawrence Seaway
MS Emerald Princess • Australia/New Zealand
MS Ruby Princess • California Coast
MS Eurodam • Alaska
League City, TX
42,369 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by Elua
Aloha,
Highly doubtful, as Hilo is usually the stop before Honolulu and the ship takes a northerly route to get there...away from the flow.

Tiki Dave
(Of Elua)
On our end of the year cruise (which you are also on), Hilo is the last port before heading to Ensenada. Even so, the volcano is in the wrong direction.
Chicago
2,043 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Customs when returning to LA, yes.

On six Hawaii cruises, I have never cruised near Kilauea when leaving Hilo. I agree with others about not wanting to be near the fumes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Princess ships:

(The original) Sun Princess
(The original) Island Princess
(The original) Royal Princess x4
(The original) Star Princess x2
(The original) Crown Princess
Dawn Princess
Sun Princess x3
Star Princess x3
Diamond Princess x2
Sapphire Princess x5
Golden Princess
Grand Princess x4
Ruby Princess x2
Emerald Princess
Riverside, CA
3,464 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Planned Nov, 2019
Star Princes

On our last Hawaiian cruise, ship did go around the south side of the island and slow. It was in the middle of the night though ,and there was so much steam from the lava poring into the ocean, you could only make out a slight orange glow when the wind pushed steam away momentarily.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
EMAIL me if you dare (I don't bite) In Google Chrome, if the email link does not take you to your email page, just right click the link, select copy email. In Explorer select Properties and copy the address.

Future:
Coral Princess Pacific Rim Sept to Nov 2018
Royal Princess Mexican Riviera April B2B with Royal Princess Coastal Wine Cruise May 2019
Princess Only:
Ruby Princess Alaska 2018: Crown Princess Coastal 2016; Star Princess 2016 South America; Caribbean Princess 2015 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2015 West Coast Getaways; Ruby Princess 2014 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2014 Coastal; Golden Princess 2013 Coastal; Royal Princess 2013 Inaugural Grand Med; Sapphire Princess 2012 Mexico; Crown Princess 2010 Iceland/Norway; Golden Princess 2009 Coastal; Star Princess 2009 Sydney to LA; Star Princess 2009 Alaska; Sapphire Princess 2009 Coastal; Island Princess 2008 Panama Canal; Golden Princess 2008 Mexico; Golden Princess 2007 Mexico; Regal Princess 2007 (Last Sailing) Hawaii ; Island Princess 2005 Hawaii; Star Princess 2003 Mexico; Princess 2000 Canada/New England; Star Princess 1995 Caribbean; Princess 1995 Europe; Royal Princess 1994 Caribbean; Star Princess 1993 Alaska;
Others:
Northern Europe Fr, Ir, UK, Nor, Den, Bel; Pacific Coastal (3); Bermuda; Mexico (2); Alaska
San Diego County
2,730 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
On our last Princess cruise to Hawaii (Star, Sept. 2017) our ship did not take the southern route from Hilo even though the Princess route map showed it going that way.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruising since 1977.
San Diego,Ca
1,416 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Originally posted by Elua
Aloha,
Yes, Leialoha and I have been assigned to the February cruise. See you there!

Aloha No,
Tiki Dave
(Of Elua)
Aloha
Will you be on the March 11, 2019 Emerald cruise?
I hope so, I have also heard so many wonderful things!

Linda
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Hilo, Hi
845 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by ttiger1968
Aloha
Will you be on the March 11, 2019 Emerald cruise?
I hope so, I have also heard so many wonderful things!

Linda
Aloha Linda,
Sadly, we are not scheduled for that cruise...we get off that day. I’m sorry we’ll miss you, but I’m sure you’ll have a great cruise.

Aloha No,
Tiki Dave
(of Elua)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature