Inside Passage Alaska Victoria excursion

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:22 PM.
186 Posts
Joined May 2005
Interested in this voyage but ship gets into Victoria at 7 pm. Everything on Government St is closed, is it worth walking around town? No Empress Tea or browsing shops?
Thanks for your reply in advance.
Phoenix, Arizona
2,538 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
The Victoria stop is needed to fulfill the “foreign port” requirement. We’ve been there twice on Alaskan cruises. Nice little wharf area, with outdoor restaurants, very walkable from ship. Water taxis from that area can take you to other city locations. Nicely illuminated government building a good evening photo op. We enjoyed wandering about for a few hours.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1986 Royal Odyssey – L.A. to Puerto Rico via Panama Canal; 1997 Carnival Sensation – Eastern Caribbean; 2002 Grand Princess – Western Caribbean; 2003 Carnival Destiny – Southern Caribbean; 2004 Mariner of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean; 2005 Carnival Valor - Exotic Western Caribbean; 2006 Crown Princess – NYC-Bermuda-Caribbean; 2007 Tahitian Princess – South Pacific to Hawaii; 2008 Caribbean Princess - NYC - Caribbean; 2008 Avalon Scenery - French River Cruise (Nice to Paris); 2009 Ruby Princess - Grand Mediterranean; 2010 Pacific Princess - Egypt & Holy Land; 2010 Sapphire Princess - Mexico Sampler; 2011 Caribbean Princess - NYC-Caribbean-Bermuda; 2012 Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda - Caribbean; 2013 Jewel of the Seas - Southern Caribbean; 2015 Serenade of the Seas - Key West/Bahamas; 2015 Crown Princess - Alaska; 2016 Island Princess - Panama Canal; 2016 Navigator of the Seas - Trans-Atlantic .. Ft. Lauderdale to London; 2016 Crown Princess - Alaska; 2017 Golden Princess - New Zealand/Australia; 2017 Emerald Princess - West Coast Getaway; 2018 Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean; 2018 Star Princess - California Wine Country; 2018 Regal Princess - Scandinavia, Ireland, Scotland + Trans Atlantic; 2019 Emerald Princess - Grand Western Mediterranean
Victoria, BC
5,408 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
walk to fisherman's wharf to see the seals. from there get a harbour ferry to the inner harbour.
take a walk, a taxi, shuttle or carriage ride to the inner harbour. the buskers will still be there and they're usually really entertaining.
there are lot of funky pubs and restaurants, some with live music.
do take a walk up government, there will be some shops open. Rogers chocolates is open until 10. a quick google search showed some tourist shops open until 11pm.
if you're here on a friday or saturday the provincial museum is open until 10pm.
the empress may not be serving tea but you can still walk through it.
what are the princess tours doing? those places will all be open.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
seeing the world one cruise at a time
Email

Cincinnati. OH-Go Reds
6,174 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
look at taking the horse drawn carriage ride. It is nice and peaceful and goes to all the places in Victoria
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Northern California
985 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
I haven't done it myself, but Butchart Gardens is supposed to be illuminated at night, and i hear it's pretty cool all lit up, so maybe that would be worth looking into as an alternate excursion.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Viking Serenade - Baja California - 4.30.99
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska - 8.3.03
Monarch of the Seas - Baja California - 5.28.07, 12.21.07, 3.31.08
Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera - 6.27.10 ReviewPhotos
Carnival Paradise - Baja California - 2.21.11 Photos
Sea Princess - Alaska - 7.19.11 Photos
Star Princess - Alaska - 6.3.12 ReviewPhotos
Carnival Inspiration - Baja California - 6.10.13
Star Princess - Alaska - 7.6.14 Photos
Grand Princess - Mexican Riviera - 12.30.16 Photos
Carnival Splendor - Mexican Riviera - 2.17.18 ReviewPhotos
Riverside, CA
3,054 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by gdisney
I haven't done it myself, but Butchart Gardens is supposed to be illuminated at night, and i hear it's pretty cool all lit up, so maybe that would be worth looking into as an alternate excursion.
If you are doing this cruise later in the year, you will get to see the gardens lit up. On June 22nd when we stopped there the sun light was just about gone as we pulled out.
They also offer this with a butterfly garden stop, but I think Butchart by itself can't be seen in under 4 to 5 hours if you are looking at and reading plant info and looking a rose varieties.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
EMAIL me if you dare (I don't bite) In Google Chrome, if the email link does not take you to your email page, just right click the link, select copy email. In Explorer select Properties and copy the address.

Future:
Coral Princess Pacific Rim Sept to Nov 2018
Royal Princess Mexican Riviera April B2B with Royal Princess Coastal Wine Cruise May 2019
Princess Only:
Ruby Princess Alaska 2018: Crown Princess Coastal 2016; Star Princess 2016 South America; Caribbean Princess 2015 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2015 West Coast Getaways; Ruby Princess 2014 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2014 Coastal; Golden Princess 2013 Coastal; Royal Princess 2013 Inaugural Grand Med; Sapphire Princess 2012 Mexico; Crown Princess 2010 Iceland/Norway; Golden Princess 2009 Coastal; Star Princess 2009 Sydney to LA; Star Princess 2009 Alaska; Sapphire Princess 2009 Coastal; Island Princess 2008 Panama Canal; Golden Princess 2008 Mexico; Golden Princess 2007 Mexico; Regal Princess 2007 (Last Sailing) Hawaii ; Island Princess 2005 Hawaii; Star Princess 2003 Mexico; Princess 2000 Canada/New England; Star Princess 1995 Caribbean; Princess 1995 Europe; Royal Princess 1994 Caribbean; Star Princess 1993 Alaska;
Others:
Northern Europe Fr, Ir, UK, Nor, Den, Bel; Pacific Coastal (3); Bermuda; Mexico (2); Alaska
186 Posts
Joined May 2005
Really appreciate all the suggestions for Victoria. We will be there late May in 2019 so still some sunlight.
Does anyone know which terminal Ruby will be docking at? Have read the walk into town is 15-45 minutes depending on how fast we can walk in the dark back to the ship.
Would love to get some chocolate creams at Rogers, had given up hope they would be closed by 7pm. That would give this visit an extra bonus.
Victoria, BC
5,408 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by dott
Really appreciate all the suggestions for Victoria. We will be there late May in 2019 so still some sunlight.
Does anyone know which terminal Ruby will be docking at? Have read the walk into town is 15-45 minutes depending on how fast we can walk in the dark back to the ship.
Would love to get some chocolate creams at Rogers, had given up hope they would be closed by 7pm. That would give this visit an extra bonus.
you will dock at ogden point which is off dallas road next to the breakwater.
princess does have a shuttle to government street if you wanted to do that either coming, going or both. there are also taxis. no uber or lyft allowed here yet.
butchart gardens is only open until 5pm in May. for any other time, its one excursion i'd take with the cruise line because of your short time in port.
late May it will be light until 9:15-9:30 or so.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email

186 Posts
Joined May 2005
cdngrl - thanks for all the info, really helpful.
we were originally booked on voyage of glaciers but when ez air came available the logistics of flying back to the west coast was not feasible.
schedules for air and no nonstops forced us to take inside passage, at least we get to see glacier national park and a little bit of bc.
Chicago
2,014 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
The Butchart Gardens shore excursion is fantastic! I have done it several times during the evening stop in Victoria. If you are at all interested in flowers or gardens, this is great. A life highlight.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Princess ships:

(The original) Sun Princess
(The original) Island Princess
(The original) Royal Princess x4
(The original) Star Princess x2
(The original) Crown Princess
Dawn Princess
Sun Princess x3
Star Princess x3
Diamond Princess x2
Sapphire Princess x5
Golden Princess
Grand Princess x4
Ruby Princess x2
Emerald Princess
Victoria, BC
5,408 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
its funny, i'm not at all interested in flowers or gardens yet i love butchart! its a beautiful place for a stroll, watch the fountains, have a picnic, get some gelato, ride the rose carousel (adults too-it goes FAST! in the summer there are free concerts every day with fireworks every saturday along with the night illumination. its a special place.

you are most welcome dott. i love the inside passage route; you will have a great time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email

Somewhere On Earth
2,281 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I was born, grew up and spent 49 years living in Victoria. I've never been to Butchart Gardens or had tea at the Empress. After I moved away, I've been kicking myself for not having taken advantage of the once-yearly, Tourism Victoria 'Be a Tourist in Your Hometown' promo.

I would like to see 'the gardens' (on a summer Saturday when they have fireworks)... but never had any interest in paying an exorbitant price for 'tea'.

P.S. Just strolling a circuit from the ship to 'Downtown': Inner Harbour/Empress/Royal BC Museum, south to Beacon Hill Park, then along Dallas Rd. back to Ogden Point is beautiful (assuming the weather co-operates)... and free!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sent from my cave using smoke signals after rubbing two sticks together to make fire.
South Florida & Shenandoah Valley, VA
6,359 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by Cruisin'Rabbit
The Butchart Gardens shore excursion is fantastic! I have done it several times during the evening stop in Victoria. If you are at all interested in flowers or gardens, this is great. A life highlight.
Our two adult kids and spouses did the Butchart Gardens Princess shore excursion last Friday night. They loved all of it - the drive through Victoria with a very knowledgeable and interesting guide, the gardens themselves (they even took notes of plants and flowers they liked to research suitability for their home gardens), the jazz (if I remember correctly) band that was playing in one of the larger gardens, and the beautiful illuminations turned on as night fell.
Chicago
2,014 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by capriccio
Our two adult kids and spouses did the Butchart Gardens Princess shore excursion last Friday night. They loved all of it - the drive through Victoria with a very knowledgeable and interesting guide, the gardens themselves (they even took notes of plants and flowers they liked to research suitability for their home gardens), the jazz (if I remember correctly) band that was playing in one of the larger gardens, and the beautiful illuminations turned on as night fell.
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this😊 I love the Butchart Gardens shore excursion.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Princess ships:

(The original) Sun Princess
(The original) Island Princess
(The original) Royal Princess x4
(The original) Star Princess x2
(The original) Crown Princess
Dawn Princess
Sun Princess x3
Star Princess x3
Diamond Princess x2
Sapphire Princess x5
Golden Princess
Grand Princess x4
Ruby Princess x2
Emerald Princess
1,092 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
This is what I thought until I did it. Don’t waste your time. Lights illuminate 3 foot circles. There’s not even enough light to read the map.
Chico, California
11,391 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by rockdoctor
This is what I thought until I did it. Don’t waste your time. Lights illuminate 3 foot circles. There’s not even enough light to read the map.
GAH! After visiting the gardens during the day it sounded like it would be great to see them at night. I'm quite disappointed to hear your report but grateful to know in advance that my previous plan may well not be a good plan at all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

Virgina
4,894 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
We have, and had out 8 and 14 year old sons with us and even they loved it. It is truly one of the most beautiful man-made places I have ever seen. My pictures are phenomenal.

I clearly disagree with RockDoctor. We were there in late May/early June and so the days were quite long. The sun really didn't set until 9/930 and it was just getting dark as it was time to exit and return to the ship. If I was at home, I could post photos...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Royal Caribbean February 2000 (Eastern)
Carnival Valor March 2007 (Western)
Carnival Legend March 2008 (Western)
Carnival Fascination March 2009 (Key West/Nassau)
Carnival Glory August 2009 (Eastern)
Carnival Glory June 2010 (Canada)
Carnival Fascination December 2010 (Bahamas)
Carnival Legend March 2012 (Western)
Caribbean Princess March 2013 (Southern)
Carnival Victory January 2014 (Western)
Carnival Fantasy March 2014 (Eastern)
Grand Princess May 2014 (Alaska)
Carnival Sunshine February 2015 (Western)
Carnival Conquest December 2015 (Western)
Carnival Sunshine October 2016 (Canada)
Carnival Magic December 2016 (Eastern)
Carnival Sunshine October 2017 (Norfolk to Bahamas)
Carnival Triumph December 2017 (Yucatan)
Carnival Fascination March 2018 (Island hopper)
Victoria, BC
5,408 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by Thrak
GAH! After visiting the gardens during the day it sounded like it would be great to see them at night. I'm quite disappointed to hear your report but grateful to know in advance that my previous plan may well not be a good plan at all.
i disagree with rockdoctor too, but its all about what your expectations are.
the night illumination is more about the lights than the flowers. there are no giant halogen lights illuminating your way, but the coloured lights on the leaves and the pathways are pretty.
if you've seen the gardens in the daytime already, i wouldn't make a special trip to see them at night unless you are there on a saturday to see the fireworks. in which case you are most likely at the gardens in the evening from before dark to late night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email

Riverside, CA
3,054 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by A&Jfamily
I clearly disagree with RockDoctor. We were there in late May/early June and so the days were quite long. The sun really didn't set until 9/930 and it was just getting dark as it was time to exit and return to the ship. If I was at home, I could post photos...
OP indicated late May so they will get the late sunset as you indicated.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
EMAIL me if you dare (I don't bite) In Google Chrome, if the email link does not take you to your email page, just right click the link, select copy email. In Explorer select Properties and copy the address.

Future:
Coral Princess Pacific Rim Sept to Nov 2018
Royal Princess Mexican Riviera April B2B with Royal Princess Coastal Wine Cruise May 2019
Princess Only:
Ruby Princess Alaska 2018: Crown Princess Coastal 2016; Star Princess 2016 South America; Caribbean Princess 2015 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2015 West Coast Getaways; Ruby Princess 2014 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2014 Coastal; Golden Princess 2013 Coastal; Royal Princess 2013 Inaugural Grand Med; Sapphire Princess 2012 Mexico; Crown Princess 2010 Iceland/Norway; Golden Princess 2009 Coastal; Star Princess 2009 Sydney to LA; Star Princess 2009 Alaska; Sapphire Princess 2009 Coastal; Island Princess 2008 Panama Canal; Golden Princess 2008 Mexico; Golden Princess 2007 Mexico; Regal Princess 2007 (Last Sailing) Hawaii ; Island Princess 2005 Hawaii; Star Princess 2003 Mexico; Princess 2000 Canada/New England; Star Princess 1995 Caribbean; Princess 1995 Europe; Royal Princess 1994 Caribbean; Star Princess 1993 Alaska;
Others:
Northern Europe Fr, Ir, UK, Nor, Den, Bel; Pacific Coastal (3); Bermuda; Mexico (2); Alaska