Cruise Air and Air Deviation Explanation

greatam

It's a one-way ticket.
Well, at the very worst you could pay $1,200-$1,400 per person for a round-trip ticket and ... well, you know, sometimes people's plans do change and they are no longer able to use the return half of the ticket, particularly if the date of the return half is a very long way off and the ticket is non-refundable.

well, you know, sometimes people's plans do change and they are no longer able to use the return half of the ticket, particularly if the date of the return half is a very long way off and the ticket is non-refundable.

I hate it when that happens. :rolleyes:

But if you don't use your return ticket, isn't there a possibility that the airline will cancel your outbound flight? :confused:

I hate it when that happens. :rolleyes:

But if you don't use your return ticket, isn't there a possibility that the airline will cancel your outbound flight? :confused:

You book the flight so that the first leg of the flight is the one you will be using. The return portion (the one you have no intention of using) will be the second leg. The airline has no idea you won't fly the second leg so can't cancel it.

You book the flight so that the first leg of the flight is the one you will be using. The return portion (the one you have no intention of using) will be the second leg. The airline has no idea you won't fly the second leg so can't cancel it.

I was thinking that if time travel becomes possible in the future the airline could go back in time and cancel your flight.

• 7 months later...

SO CONFUSED! I am reading all this information on air deviation, and trying to understand all of this. I am debating whether to steer clear of Choice Air, book on my own, etc. I have found fantastic flights and a decent price through Choice Air but I am so reluctant to buy through them after reading many negative (but very informative) posts.

My question:

If I book our flights through Choice Air and I am choosing the flights and seats I need, and paying in full, what does Air Deviation have to do with anything?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

We are traveling to Venice and outbound from Barcelona on a Mediterranean cruise in August/September this year.

According to Princess's website, we can book the same non-stop flights at about the same price as booking through the airline directly, as a flexible fare.

There are a few reasons we want to do this: 1) we do not have to pay for the airfare until final payment date in June. 2) if the fare drops before 45 days we can cancel and rebook at the lower cost.

Should I be worried about doing this through Princess? I called them and they said that as long as the flights are not canceled by the carrier they will not touch the airfare. We only want the non-stop flights we have selected and are not open to connections.

Thanks for the help, booking through EZ Air is new to me, as usually it is much more expensive when traveling within North America

We are traveling to Venice and outbound from Barcelona on a Mediterranean cruise in August/September this year.

According to Princess's website, we can book the same non-stop flights at about the same price as booking through the airline directly, as a flexible fare.

There are a few reasons we want to do this: 1) we do not have to pay for the airfare until final payment date in June. 2) if the fare drops before 45 days we can cancel and rebook at the lower cost.

Should I be worried about doing this through Princess? I called them and they said that as long as the flights are not canceled by the carrier they will not touch the airfare. We only want the non-stop flights we have selected and are not open to connections.

Thanks for the help, booking through EZ Air is new to me, as usually it is much more expensive when traveling within North America

The only benefit I see is not having to pay for the ticket until final payment. Otherwise, you could be putting yourself in a world of hurt.

The fare WILL NOT drop. You are flying high season to Europe. And in addition, there is about a 90% chance that Princess ALREADY owns the tickets. They have been bought and paid for a year or more in advance.

Do you KNOW the fare rules for your ticket? Can you even read the fare rules? Do you know the ENTIRE fare code for your ticket? This could have a BIG impact on your trip. IF your flight is delayed or cancelled, is your ticket good on another airline? Is the ticket re-routable? How many days in advance are you flying before your cruise? All these things could have a BIG impact on you being able to get to your cruise.

Other than having to pay for the ticket now, if the price is the same with the airline, why would you hesitate? If you are not sure you are going to take the cruise, I understand. But otherwise, why would you want to involve a third party in your airline ticket?

Kind of like booking direct with the cruise line or a TA. The cruise line won't deal direct with you if you have a travel agent. And if you have a bad travel agent, you are simply STUCK. And trying to call a cruise line to sort out your air would put you in the same situation. If your flight was cancelled, while you are trying to get the cruise line to help you, others in the same situation are boarding other planes to get to the cruise. And you lost out on the few seats available.

If you are sure you are going to take the cruise (other than reasons that would be covered by travel insurance) and can afford to pay for the tickets NOW, book direct with the airline. You have a MUCH better chance of having a good outcome.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Our family of 4 will be sailing with Oceania on July 7 to Jul 17, 2015 LISBON TO ROME. I need help or advices on the air included in the cruise fare. I used O ship before but I never used their air. This time I want to use their air because their air credit is only $1,000 and to buy tickets from major airliners are nearly $2,000 per person for roundtrip. In conclusion: take air with O ship is cheaper to buy direct air.

First I have to pay for $175 deviation fee p/p. Then I get to see what O has to offer in 270 days before departure. I prefer to use major USA airliners or foreigners airliners like British Air, Air France, Air Canada, Lufthansa..e.tc...If any of you experienced recently on this route, please give me some input. Another question is: my TA told me that if i change my mind to withdraw not to buy air with O ship, my $1,000 air credit is subject to change. It could reduce to $700, or $800 instead of $1,000 as published rate right now. So I will lose a lot of money either way. Can I get a seat assigned as soon as I agree to the air (deviation) that I see on O ship? Im so confused because I have never used air with the ship. I heard more negatives from guests than positives. Please help. My writing is bad and long. I apologize. Thank you all!

Edited by lamwinn

• 2 months later...

Eight months ago I bought 2 business class fares, one way Miami to Buenos Aires, through Choice Air. They are AA and on their website it says "ticketed". This flight is in February 2015.

After reading all of this I am wondering if this was a huge error. :confused:

Between now and February I need to buy our flights for Fall 2015, NYC to Dublin, one way business class. I was going to call Choice Air again but now I'm thinking I'll just book through the airline. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...
Eight months ago I bought 2 business class fares, one way Miami to Buenos Aires, through Choice Air. They are AA and on their website it says "ticketed". This flight is in February 2015.

Between now and February I need to buy our flights for Fall 2015, NYC to Dublin, one way business class. I was going to call Choice Air again but now I'm thinking I'll just book through the airline. :eek:

Prepare yourself for sticker shock. OW flights to Europe bought through most airlines are about 4X as much as Ow through Choice Air, so it might pay to take a chance. Although there may be some airlines where you can purchase OW tickets to BA for less. Check the ITA Matrix site.

I have never had problems purchasing through choice air so far but only puchase OW tickets to International destinations as there is not enough savings on RT tickets or domestic to take a chance on problems if the flight is cancelled or rerouted. Always allow yourself a few days before the cruise just in case, reduces your chances of anything going wrong.

Just. My opinion.

The "Sky is falling" tone of this thread shouldn't get you concerned.

Not all Choice Air tickets are consolidator tickets. I've had at least one Air Canada flight that was a regular ticket and assume (but suspect I'll be corrected) that if you have Business Class you are unlikely to have consolidator tickets. You may even want to give the airline a call and see if they will let you know of any additional restrictions. The OP on this thread has also challenged people to provide the full booking codes and they supposedly can tell you more about your tickets.

Even if you do, it's only in the rare case where your travel plans get severely disrupted that you may have to worry.

At this point your tickets are bought, relax and plan for your trip.

As far as your fall tickets, shop around but don't choose not to use Choice Air out of fear. Get all the flight options/prices and make an informed decision. I've read that the one way tickets on Choice Air are generally a lot less than if purchased through the airline, if that's the case for your fall travel, fly in a couple days early and use the savings to enjoy a couple extra days overseas.

Edited by RickT

• 2 years later...

Only once did my Father and I book CruiseAir and we will never do it again. I would rather be able to use my miles or plan my own schedule. For instance this year my Father and I booked one way to Tampa on Delta using Miles.

We are returning via IcelandAir for $590 with a stop in Rejkavik for 4 nights. Before our flight to Iceland we are stopping in Amsterdam for 4 nights.

With Air Deviation you do not know what flights you will be put on and you can only request certain routings. I doubt the stopover in Iceland would work let alone spending time in a city without paying a fee to deviate from the cruise line itinerary.

Furthermore we always arrive a night before the cruise and stay in the city the cruise is arriving hence this is why we chose the itinerary to go to cities we would like to spend time in.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Our one and only international one way cruise air experience was perfect.  Booked with our cruise, about two weeks prior to departure. It was the only time that we found cruise air to be advantageous to us.

Not only was the fare excellent, we had a choice of several preferred airlines/routings (some price differences).  Our plan had been to make our way to London or Paris and then grab a low cost flight.  Instead we were able to get off the ship in Barcelona and go to the airport.  Good connection in London and a direct flight home.  Able to preselect our seats on both legs.   It could not have been a better experience.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

We are sailing from Rome to Venice (Trieste) in October 2024 flying from MIA via FRA into FCO three nights prior to sailing and staying in Venice 3 nights post-cruise Via FRA before flying back to MIA. Purchasing airfare directly through the airline of our choice is and continues to be $500-600 cheaper (for two passengers) less expensive than using EZ Air option through the cruise line.

After researching and comparing fares we've determined booking through the airline directly allows us, in addition to price, to choose our upper deck 747 Biz class seats (although not guaranteed) which we cant seem to do through EZ Air. Additionally I assume we'll be notified of any plane, time changes directly by the airline.

Under this scenario are there any other benefits to booking directly with the airline that I've overlooked?