For those curious about current passport turnaround times...

I am a green card holder and applied for a new passport in July 2016, since I came here as a child and my mother explained I never actually had one, no problem I thought, went to German consulate and opened up all kinds of issues -- long story short if this is something that anyone needs to do and has the same kind of situation , I suggest giving it plenty of time. We will not cruise until December and have been told not to worry , so I have positive thoughts ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I think time of year has much to do with it. When I processed passports at the post office at Yale we would get bombarded with passport applications in January even Feb. The students were getting ready for spring break. So possibly the passport agency in Philadelphia got a little slower as a result of the increase in applications.

• 2 weeks later...

Question? My husband and I went to get our passports. We leave December 4th and was told this is ample time to get them. We went to the post office with our applications, birth certificates with embossed stamp, check book and drivers license. We gave everything to the post office attendant. She looked at my birth certificate and said she will send it in but she thinks I will need to get another one because it did not have my parents name on it. I got it from the county I was born in and it had a raised stamp. Has anyone else gone through this same thing? If so, what did you do? This is what the county gave me and it has an official, raised stamp so...

Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Bf and son applied for his passport on July 19 and we had it in hand by the 29th. I also applied on the 19th but due to my visual impairment had some complications with my picture that I had to send extra documentation for. Even with those delays I still had it by self 1st and most of the delay was in my part, waiting on medical records. I couldn't believe how fast routine processing was

Sent from my VS986 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I can add my own experience to this thread, with a twist. I am an American living in Canada and once my application was received in Philadelphia, the turnaround time to my mailbox was LESS than 2 weeks - 13 days, to be exact. I am impressed.

Question: are passports always mailed regular mail? Mine came in a brown envelope and was clearly marked that it was from the Passport Agency. Do they mail registered or signature-required within the continental U.S.? Just curious.

I can add my own experience to this thread, with a twist. I am an American living in Canada and once my application was received in Philadelphia, the turnaround time to my mailbox was LESS than 2 weeks - 13 days, to be exact. I am impressed.

Question: are passports always mailed regular mail? Mine came in a brown envelope and was clearly marked that it was from the Passport Agency. Do they mail registered or signature-required within the continental U.S.? Just curious.

Passports are sent to the recipient only with a delivery confirmation tracking number.

Passports are sent to the recipient only with a delivery confirmation tracking number.

Yep. My kids recently renewed (well, I renewed for them). Came in plain package without signature needed. Delivery confirmation at best, although I don't remember anything special about the outside envelope other than I had no idea what was inside.

Hmmm (looks at envelope....)... nope, nothing like that. Perhaps because it is considered International (although we sent with a tracking number from here to there and it worked).

Came in plain package without signature needed...

I just find it odd that in this day and age of mail theft and such, it might come with signature required, but I can see how it would be harder and more expensive to do that for every American citizen.

No biggie, was just asking. Thanks all!

I had mine made when I lived in China. It took maybe a week or something and anyone could pick it up. I don’t even remember getting mine in America however it’s probably better in a plain envelope than one that says passport service. I have to send mine out to get work visas when I’m in America I send it out in a plain no signature required envelope and that’s how it comes back. No worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just renewed my wife's and kids last month. All came in plain brown envelope. One was renewal with old passport (wife), one was renewal with lost passport, and one was replacement of lost passport. All took less than two weeks to arrive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...