Going on Seabourn in December, any tips, clothing?

der110

My girlfriend and I are going on Seabourn in December, Buenos Aires to Santiago. Anyone who has gone with Seabourn, we would be grateful for any Seabourn-specific tips. I imagine clothing is going to be a challenge. It will be hot in BA, where we plan to spend a few days, but presumably less so in Antarctica. I have not checked yet what clothing Seabourn supplies for going ashore, but any tips in this regard would be appreciated. I am sure this has been asked a million times, but these forums tend to have terrible search engines.

I put up a very comprehensive photo/journal of our expedition to Antarctica (from Buenos Aires) with Nat Geo/Lindblad five years ago. The link below will take you to my detailed post about what we wore to go ashore in Antarctica. (Even for just being on deck, keep in mind the windchill, not just the temperatures.)

https://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/2013/07/20/dressing-for-the-great-outdoors/

And yes, it will be warm in BA in December. You'll need clothing for summer and for Antarctica.

Have a great trip!

Head over to the link Maryann provided where we have a huge FAQs list including packing lists and trip reports where you can read ones specific to the Seabourn.

Clothing doesn't need to be a challenge. Layering is the key.

I travel from a hot climate via the hot cities of Santiago and BA before arriving in nice chilly Ushuaia and even chillier Antarctica.

On board the plane and in the warm cities I wear either yoga pants (mine are the loose trouser style not tight legging style) or lightweight cargoes. On top I wear a long tunic style t shirt. On feet I wear Keens mary janes - simple walking shoes with a really good tread.

In Ushuaia I wear the exact same clothes with leggings under the pants and a thermal top under the t shirt, and thin merino or bamboo liner socks with my Keens mary janes.

On board the ship - same again.

On landings - thermal leggings, insulated waterproof goretex pants, thermal long sleeve top, polar fleece vest and goretex parka, merino hiking socks and muck boots. Plus thin liner gloves for on shore, ski gloves for on the zodiac, a neck gaiter or buff, winter buff for head or beanie, sunglasses or ski goggles according to own preference. And loads of factor 50 sunscreen and lipbalm.

Check exactly what Seabourn supplies as some provide boots only, some do boots and parkas, some give the parka as a gift, and a couple do the overpants as well but not as many do that.