No more Scopolamine patches!

I’ve taken meclizine since 1984. Before that I was seasick on ferries, a glass bottom boat, theme park rides, even just watching, and the back seats of cars.

I got a prescription for Bonine, a brand of meclizine, and have never been sick.

It’s available over the counter now, and it has never made me drowsy. I’ve known if others who use it who don’t get drowsy.

If you have a problem getting the patch, I really think Bonine is miraculous!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I work in Pharmacy so I can tell you at least in the USA for 100% Scopolamine Patches are NOT available and have not been for close to 10 months. Will they come back? At this point I doubt it, I have not seen something on back order for this long in years in retail pharmacy. Not saying someone won't make them, but it isn't a high demand product in truth.

This is ONLY for the generic version! The brand name are available still. I can also attest to this as a recent patient was just prescribed them for a 15 day cruise, and they needed a prior auth with the insurance. Dr's office got the PA for the generic after I specifically let them know only brand was available. 3 day fight but it happened and they got their 5 brand name patches today. I then proceeded to order 3 more boxes of the brand name to replace them.

If the cost doesn't bother you (which I mean... you are going on a cruise right?) When I compared the price of the 5 days of brand name patches for this patient just in case their insurance wouldn't pay for it... it was only $100 ran through a discount card we offer.

This is just to point out that it is only the generic that isn't available and if you are willing to pay a slight premium (5 generic patches is $80) they are still out there! If your normal pharmacy doesn't have them, call pharmacies and find if they use Cardinal as a distributor. If they do, you can get the brand name Transderm patch.

I just filled my prescription in May.

I am EXTREMELY prone to motion sickness but the Scop patch was always overkill for me - slept for the first day or two on it, made me very loopy and gave me the worst case of dry mouth ever. And God forbid you ever touch it and then rub your eyes.......

That being said, 50mg of Meclizine every 24 hours does the trick for me.

• 2 months later...

The most common drug is Bonine which is Meclizine Hcl.  It is also sold as Dramamine Non-Drowsy formula.  But. if you simply go to a pharmacy such as Walmart or Target they likely will sell you generic Meclizine which is very inexpensive (100 pills for less than $10,  This is a chewable drug and most folks take 1 every 24 hours.  We think its best to take at night since it then works in your favor since some folks get a bit drowsy.  This drug is what is commonly sold (or given away at Guest Relations) on many cruise ships.  It is also available as a prescription drug under the name Antivert....but the script version is exactly the same as the over-the-counter.

Hank