Explain the Solarium To Me-Newbie

cruisekitty22

What and who can go to the solarium? Is it free? Is it Adults only? Over 21 only? Are there hot tubs in there? Does it get overly hot with the pool cover on it? Thanks for the answers.

Solarium is an indoor pool however is different depending on the ships. On the S class ships its a straight pool while on M class ships its a big hot tub. In both cases it is adults only age limit is 16 and up. The room is air-conditioned and the cover is permanent, does not open. The cruise line states they reserve the right to allow kids in during inclement weather or cooler climates. This is usually only done for an hour of so a day. Also, in the pool area is the Aqua Spa cafe, a restaurant with healthy food open for lunch and breakfast. Solarium is open to all cabin categories.

I've been on S class and M class a number of times but today can't quite remember the differences - but they are different, I do know I like the ones on M class ships more. On one class, there are some nice water features in the pool (I think on M class). On both, adults only - not sure how well enforced. It can be hot or cold - I'm not sure the space is heated when you are sailing in cool weather (like Northern Europe). As I remember, the water is a pleasan temp in both - maybe heated but not hot tub hot. Which ship will you be on? then another poster can give you better specifics on the area in that class of ship. But whatever ship, it is usually a pretty pleasant place to be unless the air temp gets a bit nippy.

Editing to add that when the seas are rough, the pool can be quite like a large wave pool and not necessarily in a good way. :)

Edited by suec12
additional info

We love the solarium no matter the weather outside! It is free and available to all adults. It is generally for adults only (I think), however on our past two cool weather cruises (Alaska & Baltics) well behaved children were in there though I didn't see them in the pool. There are two hot tubs. On warm weather cruises we have never had a problem getting two-four lounge chairs together. Cool weather cruises are entirely different though and it can become difficult to get one chair must less two together (especially with so many people saving loungers). The atmosphere is fairly quiet, calm and perfect for reading and napping. Occasionally, like on our Baltics cruise in June, there will be some loudmouth who commandeers a hot tub for the afternoon and assumes everyone in the solarium is interested in what he has to say. This particular gentleman was sailing alone as his wife declined to join him. We all completely understood why!

There are attendants taking drink orders though the frequency they come around varies from cruise to cruise. The temperature is usually very comfortable and has never seemed hot at all. The air is cool during warm weather cruises.

It's pretty much a reading room with a pool. Nearly everyone in there is reading or napping. A few people might be in the pool, and usually a few in the hot tubs. There are 2 hot tubs on the M-class and 2 on the S-class in the Solarium

On the M class the pools are salt water on the S-class they are freshwater.

My husband enjoys the solarium as it is climate controlled. Also less crowded and more quiet than other pools. But, to me the loungers are very uncomfortable. I usually have to use a few towels behind my back to make it better. We often go there in the evening instead of the shows. We are the only ones in there. Peaceful and relaxing.