Shipboard Evacuation

Ep010835

I've searched the forums but cannot locate anything on this topic.

It's rare, to be sure, but in the unlikely event that someone in my party should need to be airlifted from the ship in a medical emergency, is there an insurance product that includes this protection?

I have a multi-year Medjet policy but even this is limited to land based evacuation.

Don't want to be too much of a sissy about all of this stuff but it keeps the wife happy (I'll blame it on her!).

We will be on the CBs in November.

Here is what it says for the Princess Insurance for evacuation:

EMERGENCY EVACUATIONThe Company will pay benefits for Covered Expenses incurred, up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation ofCoverage, if an Accidental Injury or Sickness commencing during the course of the Trip results in Your necessary EmergencyEvacuation. An Emergency Evacuation must be ordered by a Physician who certifies that the severity of Your AccidentalInjury or Sickness warrants Your Emergency Evacuation.Emergency Evacuation means: Your medical condition warrants immediate Transportation from the hospital where You are first taken when injuredor sick to the nearest Hospital where appropriate medical treatment can be obtained (b) after being treated at a local Hospital, Your medical condition warrants Transportation to where You reside, to obtainfurther medical treatment or to recover; or © both (a) and (b), above.Covered Expenses are reasonable and customary expenses for necessary Transportation, related medical services andmedical supplies incurred in connection with Your Emergency Evacuation. All Transportation arrangements made forevacuating You must be by the most direct and economical route possible. Expenses for Transportation must be recommended by the attending Physician;(b) required by the standard regulations of the conveyance transporting You; and © authorized in advance by the Company or its authorized representative.Transportation of Dependent Children: If You are in the Hospital for more than two (2) days following a covered EmergencyEvacuation, the Company will return Your unattended Dependent Children accompanying You on the scheduled Trip, totheir home, with an attendant if necessary.Transportation to Join You: If You are traveling alone and are in a Hospital alone for more than seven (7) consecutive daysor if the attending Physician certifies that due to Your Accidental Injury or Sickness, You will be required to stay in theHospital for more than seven (7) consecutive days, upon request the Company will bring a person, chosen by You, for asingle visit to and from Your bedside.Transportation services are provided if authorized in advance by the assistance provider, and are limited to necessaryEconomy Fares less the value of applied credit from unused travel tickets, if applicable.Transportation means any Common Carrier, or other land, water or air conveyance, required for an Emergency Evacuationand includes air ambulances, land ambulances and private motor vehicles.The Company will not cover any expenses provided by another party at no cost to You or already included within the cost ofthe Trip.

Check out Squaremouth ...they have all different types of insurance coverage.

Although Medicare does not provide any coverage in this area, my secondary does provide medical evacuation from a cruise ship to the nearest hospital if an emergency and a doctor recommends.

If you are evacuated from a cruise ship by the US Coast Guard ( The only way you will be in Coast Guard coverage area ) there no charge for the evac, charges will start once the chopper touches land. Other countries, possibly a charge.

This thread is NOT unreasonable. There was a passenger med-evac'd from the Carnival Horizon a couple of weeks ago. And about 1 month ago, two passengers were med-evac'd, one from RCI's Adventure of the Seas and one from Carnival Vista. I remember reading of another one, but that could have been the Vista incident.

Strokes, heart attacks, serious bone injuries, crippling head injuries, all of these can happen on a cruise! Although we certainly hope they don't!!

This thread is NOT unreasonable. There was a passenger med-evac'd from the Carnival Horizon a couple of weeks ago. And about 1 month ago, two passengers were med-evac'd, one from RCI's Adventure of the Seas and one from Carnival Vista. I remember reading of another one, but that could have been the Vista incident.

Strokes, heart attacks, serious bone injuries, crippling head injuries, all of these can happen on a cruise! Although we certainly hope they don't!!

Who claimed this thread was unreasonable?

GC

• 3 weeks later...

I was a cruise ship nurse for several years. Many times I helped arrange emergency evacuations and accompanied patients. We went by port ambulance, helicopter and coast guard boats to the nearest hospitals. I watched families scramble to gether all the credit cards they could to pay thousands for air ambulances home, and saw island hospitals harrass sick people for payment.

I still travel and cruise as a passenger 2-3 times yearly. I never leave the US without evacuation insurance, and medical - because my BCBS doesn't pay out of country. There are other things you can insure, but those emergency medical issues are my priorities. Compare the ship offering for price and coverage with others. I use insuremytrip.com to shop. All things being equal, the ship offering probably has the advantage of experience with issues unique to cruise emergencies. When I was working onboard, the providers my line sold worked well with us in emergencies. For my next cruise, I'm trying out this new cruise specific find...https://www.insuremytrip.com/travel-insurance-providers/nationwide/choice-cruise/#tab_plan-summary.

Yes, almost any medical emergencies that happen on land can and do happen on cruise ships. The peace of mind that I will be taken care of and back to familiar and insured medical care is well worth the cost of insurance to me.

Excellent advice. I too looked at insuremytrip.com and have bought through them many times in the past. This time I bought through the Tripinsurancestore.com

The plan I selected

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insured-plan-details/

allowed upgrading their normally secondary coverage to primary for $25/pp which we thought was one heck of a deal.

I've purchased from CF Travel Insured many times in the past for land based European trips but this is the first time for cruise insurance.

All of that having been said, I hope that we don't use it!