Connecting your HDMI device to the new OceanView TVs on Caribbean Princess

SSMEX

Just got off the Aug 11 sailing on the Caribbean Princess to the western Caribbean. Will likely write up a complete review later, but for reference, it is possible to connect your HDMI device to the new TVs that are part of OceanView/Ocean Medallion on Caribbean Princess. Our room had new 4K LG TVs that were roughly 40-45 inches.

The procedure is a bit tricky and unintuitive, but here is the procedure:

• Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port that the OceanView box uses.
  • Using the remote, launch one of the live TV channels. The bridge camera or the ship information channel usually work, but you may have to try one of the live TV channels (e.g. MSNBC).
  • Reach under the middle of the TV to find the on-TV directional jogger. Press in once to open the circular four-way menu, then toggle left and select the input selector. A menu will open on the right side of the TV. There should be a red dot next to "Live TV" (if the dot is next to HDMI, you didn't do step two correctly). Toggle down to HDMI and select it. This should successfully switch the input to your HDMI device.

Audio carries over HDMI like it should, but do note that at least on our TV, the edge calibration was a little off and I lost about 2% of the edges.

Let me know if you have any questions about this or anything else on the Caribbean Princess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While your kluge may work, there may be a potential problem w it. What happens if the changes you make stick. That means that when the new person on the cruise comes into your cabin, the TV will not work properly. This will create a real workload for cruise staff who have to set the TVs back to their proper settings.

DON

what would you use that for?

was your room one of the ***** rooms

what kind of internet plan did you have?

I'm not a fan of MUTS (low audio and visual quality + too humid outside), and the selection from Princess on demand is limited. I have an ever-growing queue of movies I want to watch so this is the perfect way to watch them on a cruise.

***** was only on Lido deck for our sailing.

We didn't get internet. Unplugging for the week was fantastic, but if you needed it, it's $10 per device per day, or free for some elite tiers I think.

While your kluge may work, there may be a potential problem w it. What happens if the changes you make stick. That means that when the new person on the cruise comes into your cabin, the TV will not work properly. This will create a real workload for cruise staff who have to set the TVs back to their proper settings.

No chance of this. Everything resets itself after you turn the TV off.

what would you use that for?

was your room one of the ***** rooms

what kind of internet plan did you have?

There are a number of reasons why accessing the TV comes in handy. Some people like to throw the screen of a laptop, tablet or phone to a big TV screen to watch videos, etc. It also is very useful for us photographers to connect up an HDMI-capable camera to display the days shots on a big hi-def screen rather than the tiny little screen on the camera.

Thanks to the OP for posting the procedure.

Just got off the Aug 11 sailing on the Caribbean Princess to the western Caribbean. Will likely write up a complete review later, but for reference, it is possible to connect your HDMI device to the new TVs that are part of OceanView/Ocean Medallion on Caribbean Princess. Our room had new 4K LG TVs that were roughly 40-45 inches.

The procedure is a bit tricky and unintuitive, but here is the procedure:

• Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port that the OceanView box uses.
  • Using the remote, launch one of the live TV channels. The bridge camera or the ship information channel usually work, but you may have to try one of the live TV channels (e.g. MSNBC).
  • Reach under the middle of the TV to find the on-TV directional jogger. Press in once to open the circular four-way menu, then toggle left and select the input selector. A menu will open on the right side of the TV. There should be a red dot next to "Live TV" (if the dot is next to HDMI, you didn't do step two correctly). Toggle down to HDMI and select it. This should successfully switch the input to your HDMI device.

Audio carries over HDMI like it should, but do note that at least on our TV, the edge calibration was a little off and I lost about 2% of the edges.

Let me know if you have any questions about this or anything else on the Caribbean Princess.

Thank you for your detailed reply. Folks here are constantly asking how to connect to a TV on (insert ship).

Ignore the inane replies from the people who can't even spell HDMI...

• Like 1

Thank you for your detailed reply. Folks here are constantly asking how to connect to a TV on (insert ship).

Ignore the inane replies from the people who can't even spell HDMI...

I can spell HIGH DEFINITION MULTIMEDIA INTERFACE, but the rest of it is :eek: . Than again, if I needed it, I could learn. :)

What effect on fuel consumption do you think the switch to MGO from bunker fuel will be?

Will it affect fares?

I can spell HIGH DEFINITION MULTIMEDIA INTERFACE, but the rest of it is :eek: . Than again, if I needed it, I could learn. :)

I guess I'm missing your point.

Should everyone who is not interested in a topic reply to let us know of their disinterest?

What happened to your sense of humor Mr. Pablo?

I'm with you Pia. I suspect his sense of humor disappeared around the time he chose to throw a small insult, however unintended, at a few folks who were just making jokes. "Ignore the inane replies..."? Not sure that qualifies as polite.

I'm with you Pia. I suspect his sense of humor disappeared around the time he chose to throw a small insult, however unintended, at a few folks who were just making jokes. "Ignore the inane replies..."? Not sure that qualifies as polite.

I don't find your post polite at all.

I guess that's irony.

Thanks to the OP for the update on how to attach your HDMI capable device to the cabin TV. Many pax will find it useful. I have never used the HDMI port on a ship cabin TV but have used it on hotel TVs as well as the ones in my house. I will have to try it when I board the CB later this year.

• Like 1

Google works well I see as well as copy and paste. Question then becomes can you understand what it does and why it is a better solution.