? for someone who sailed the British Isles/ North Sea this summer

FritzG

We are leaving for the Royal transatlantic in a couple of weeks. With the record setting hot temperatures in Europe, what are the temperatures like while sailing? This will be our 6th fall TA in northern Europe, but we've never experienced such warm temperatures. We usuallydress in layers, but we wonder if we should be packing more lightweight clothes.

We are leaving for the Royal transatlantic in a couple of weeks. With the record setting hot temperatures in Europe, what are the temperatures like while sailing? This will be our 6th fall TA in northern Europe, but we've never experienced such warm temperatures. We usuallydress in layers, but we wonder if we should be packing more lightweight clothes.
We live in the UK and returned from the British Isles cruise 2 weeks ago. Whilst we were on the cruise apart from at Southampton, Guernsey and Le Havre where it was quite hot, most of the ports we stopped at were quite cool.

The weather in the UK has changed now and the temperatures have dropped with no sign of returning to the high temperatures we were having.

As you have previously experienced layers are the best option in our unpredictable climate!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

We returned on August 10 on a cruise from Dover. We started with 5 days in London, then went to Dublin, Edinburgh, Milford Sound and Jersey (not in that order). it was warm in London, Milford Sound, Dublin and Jersey. it was fairly warm in Edinburgh after about noon. Needed a warmish jacket at the Tattoo.

Generally, we carried our light jackets around most places.

Have a wonderful time.

Ohiodoglover

We just returned from our British Isles cruise. We live in Georgia where it can get hot. It rained about 4 inches at home while we were gone, a lot more than it did on our cruise. We were on the Aug. 5-17 cruise. I wore short sleeves every day except one (and could have used a short sleeve that day). I took a light jacket to use a few times. I really enjoyed having my scarf to cover my head for the wind.

It sprinkled a couple of times, one a light rain in Edinburgh that we used umbrellas for and another in Invergordan, where it soon improved (loved that little town).

We did not use ponchos, heavy sweater or raincoat, all of which we packed. Be prepared, but be practical when carrying around a lot of stuff.

I also really wore my one pair of shorts that I packed.

Hope your weather is just as good, but you never know. Enjoy.

We returned on August 10 on a cruise from Dover. We started with 5 days in London, then went to Dublin, Edinburgh, Milford Sound and Jersey (not in that order). it was warm in London, Milford Sound, Dublin and Jersey. it was fairly warm in Edinburgh after about noon. Needed a warmish jacket at the Tattoo.

Have a wonderful time.

Ohiodoglover

Think you probably mean Milford Haven in west Wales. Highly unlikely you do a stop in NZ on a UK cruise...;p;p

Have a wonderful time.

Ohiodoglover

Hoping to go to the Military Tattoo next year, how was it?

Someone in our group is going to join “Friends of the Tattoo” so we can buy tickets before they go on sale to the public. Any suggestions as to wear to sit?

Thanks

Hoping to go to the Military Tattoo next year, how was it?

Someone in our group is going to join “Friends of the Tattoo” so we can buy tickets before they go on sale to the public. Any suggestions as to wear to sit?

Thanks

We just got off the Royal BI cruise and went to the tattoo. I loved it and would recommend it. We booked through Princess just to avoid some of the hassles.

First off, the day to go to the Tattoo is when the ship docks in Greenoak, not when you are in Edinburgh. For the stop in Edinburgh, the ship tenders and there is not enough time to do the tattoo that day.

What I did not previously realized is that in August, when the Tattoo is going on, there is also the Edinburgh festival, the Fringe Festival, and a special book/author festival. The number of people in Edinburgh doubles. I had been in Edinburgh a couple of years ago in June and although there were people around I never felt that it was crowded. This visit last week, was extremely crowded. There were people everywhere. People who wanted to tour Edinburgh castle were not able to get in unless they had previously purchased tickets and those on tours said the castle was so crowded it was difficult to tour comfortably.

We sat in the side corner area where the curve of the U is, section 6 row R about 2/3 of the way up. I found it to be a good location. If you are down too far its hard to get that panoramic view which is impressive.

We just got off the Royal BI cruise and went to the tattoo. I loved it and would recommend it. We booked through Princess just to avoid some of the hassles.

First off, the day to go to the Tattoo is when the ship docks in Greenoak, not when you are in Edinburgh. For the stop in Edinburgh, the ship tenders and there is not enough time to do the tattoo that day.

What I did not previously realized is that in August, when the Tattoo is going on, there is also the Edinburgh festival, the Fringe Festival, and a special book/author festival. The number of people in Edinburgh doubles. I had been in Edinburgh a couple of years ago in June and although there were people around I never felt that it was crowded. This visit last week, was extremely crowded. There were people everywhere. People who wanted to tour Edinburgh castle were not able to get in unless they had previously purchased tickets and those on tours said the castle was so crowded it was difficult to tour comfortably.

We sat in the side corner area where the curve of the U is, section 6 row R about 2/3 of the way up. I found it to be a good location. If you are down too far its hard to get that panoramic view which is impressive.

We did the same cruise and the Royal Mile was very crowded the day we were there. Wall to wall people. Did a 2 hour walking tour and guide had to go to some effort to find places where he could speak.

The day in port were on the cool side and wore a medium sweater most days and needed it. Left the ship in the morning mid 50's and most days reached high of maybe 65. Very sorry didnt bring a light jacket.

London where we stayed before the cruise was 90 for the three days we were there.

We’ve had a amazingly hot and sunny summer in the U.K. ,

We were on a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords in April , and had packed winter clothes , big mistake

We were sunbathing on the North Sea , en route back to Southampton in early May

Wearing jeans and a jumper today though !