Early morning arrival into Papeete too early to board - what to do??

cigloo

We cruised out of Papeete in December and found most hotels have "day rooms" which allow you to rest, store your luggage, and use their pools etc during the day.

When you disembark, the return flight to LAX is also not until 10pm or so and many checked into these day rooms then too.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 year later...

This was my question! We arrive around 6am and can’t find accommodations for several hours. I checked with a few hotels that only provide pool access and lunch from 11am-5pm.

We’d like to take a shower and freshen up before boarding. Any help would be appreciated.

If I was WS I would solved that problem years ago for the guests!!. Anyhow, did you consider getting to PPT a day early? If not possible, they have luggage locker at the airport. Worst case, get a 1/2 day excursion from the airport. Take your luggage with you than get them to drop you off at the dock early afternoon.

Airport luggage locker (Consigne à bagages)

Hours

Monday – Sunday : 06 :00 – 12 :00 / 13 :30 – 22 :00

Thursday : 06 :00 – 12 :00 / 13 :30 – 23 :00

Téléphone / contact mail

+689 40 86 60 08 / moeahanakahi@yahoo.com.au

http://www.tahiti-aeroport.pf/articles.php?id=43

Why would this be a problem Windstar should solve?

Besides renting a day room, one solution is to arrive the day before your cruise. I joined the Ambassador Club for the Intercontinental, and booked a room at the Intercontinental for the day we arrived.

The hotel held our bags and we could use all the facilities until our room was ready. This membership also gave us a late check out, at 4:00 p.m. the next day before we boarded the ship.

There is a bed and breakfast, very basic, that you might consider for the several hours before you board. Very quiet. Fare Suisse can be found on Tripadvisor. The beauty of it is that the very pleasant owner will pick you up at the airport and drive you to the ship when you decide to board. Rooms run $80-100.

Get yourself heard. The Tahiti Tourism office in Papeete is having 2 days of meeting with tour operator next week. Write to them and tell them what you would like to have in Tahiti as a tourist.

Your idea might be a lot different that the tour operators. Want a Safe Luggage Locker at the port so you can stroll the Front de Mer (marina) and the city gardens while you wait for your ship? Tell them.

info@tahiti-tourisme.fr

https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/polynesie/tahiti/polynesie-francaise/rencontre-entre-tour-operateurs-locaux-etrangers-569735.html

We arrive on an overnight flight from LAX into Papeete really early in the morning, 4:30 am and and can't board the ship until late afternoon. What can we do, where can we store our luggage...........suggestions??

Wouldn't it be better to arrive in Papeete a day earlier and book an hotel for the night? Then you could simply leave your luggage stored there after checkout until you were ready to leave. Extra expense I know but it would make your life easier and you could enjoy looking around Papeete and starting the holiday a little earlier.

Have breakfast in Papeete at someplace like Le Retro, which is a short walk from the ferry dock. Centre Vaima | Front de Mer, Papeete 98713 (look it up on TripAdvisor). Then go to Le Marche Municipale (public market), which is at its best in the morning. It's a wonderful slice of local life and also the best place to buy souvenirs. Next, go pearl shopping. We contacted Manapearl (www.manapearl.com) ahead of time and made an appointment to come and look at their pearls and pick out a pendant and earrings and we had a wonderful experience. There is a luggage storage place at the airport, so I guess you'd have to take a taxi back to the airport to get it after that, but it's money well spent. Don't forego a chance to experience the down-to-earth charm of Papeete.

Without exception, I always arrive at least one day ahead of schedule...everywhere I can. And I suggest the same to anyone asking me for advice or insights. My doctor has suggested to me that I do anything I can to lower my blood pressure. Yes, an air, hotel, ground transfer package is usually an excellent way to make this come together, as 6rugrat said earlier.

Because of the unusual air schedules in and out of Papeete, there are more hotels offering "day rooms" and other transient services than any place else I know of.

To dandee2: I think Windstar is correct in leaving this up to each traveler, to decide how they wish to solve for their own preferences. As soon as Windstar starts offering 5 "alternatives", too many people will still be unhappy their needs have not been "adequately addressed".

I travel for the joy and pleasure. Not to be in a hurry. Let's all take an extra day going and an extra day coming home.