Awesome book about New Orleans

World Gallery

I am reading a book about New Orleans that I realize is more of a travel book (though it is not classified as one). It is called Very New Orleans - A Celebration of History, Culture and Cajun Country Charm by Diana Gessler. It talks about many of the things mentioned or asked on this board. It is great because it has a basic map of the French Quarter, Warehouse District, Garden District and Cajun Country. It is an easy, fun read and would even be good for kids to read. It has some great illustrations and talks about little-known facts about New Orleans. Great overview of the city!

yes, I think kids will enjoy reading it. I grew up in the New Orleans area and this book is "right on the money" in regards to the way it "presents" New Orleans.

Also, it has little things that one might not find in a typical travel book. For example, on the page about Cafe de Monde, it mentions that you can walk behind the building and watch the bakers making the beignets. We have done this but I didn't find out about this until I was an adult. It is fun to watch. You are just looking through a window and they are right there in front of you cutting then frying the beignets!

yes, I think kids will enjoy reading it. I grew up in the New Orleans area and this book is "right on the money" in regards to the way it "presents" New Orleans.

Also, it has little things that one might not find in a typical travel book. For example, on the page about Cafe de Monde, it mentions that you can walk behind the building and watch the bakers making the beignets. We have done this but I didn't find out about this until I was an adult. It is fun to watch. You are just looking through a window and they are right there in front of you cutting then frying the beignets!

That's great to know. Have been to Cafe de Monde several times but have never ventured behind the building. Will definitely do that when we are there in January.

Dianne

Will have to get the book as well, we are cruising in January and will be in NO two days prior to cruising. So, doing something that we didn't already know about would be interesting - have been to NO once before (2 yrs ago) - looking forward to NO and the cruise!

World Gallery,

Thanks so much for the recommendation on this book. I ran to the library and grabbed it up. It looks great and I can't wait to dig in. We cruise 11/28 and have never been to NOLA. We arrive Thanksgiving day so we have a couple of days to enjoy the city. We're sure looking forward to it!

Your welcome! It makes for a much better experience when you understand and know what you are looking at or understand the history being the street you are standing on. We just took our children to the French Quarter this past weekend. I had read some of the book to them and it was fun to see how they understood and recongized what we were seeing.

• 2 months later...

Archived