WHAT IF...or why you DO need a passport

cod

My DD just called and told me that the mother of her next-door-neighbour died suddenly last night and they (her neighbours) are on the Elation. They were told by Carnival that they would have trouble getting back without passports but that under the circumstances they would do what they could to help them.

My DD asked me if I thought they could get back before Thursday when the Elation docks in Mobile. I told her I didn't know but that surely exeptions could be made in a case like this and that I would post this and see if anyone on this board would know.

Thanks!!! And if we didn't already have passports, this story would be the nudge to get one!!

Yes, it is. This is only their second cruise and both times they just used their birth certificates. His mother had the flu for a couple of days but they did not consider that serious when they left home. I would not think so either but complications must have set in. She was only in her 60's!

This is a horrible situation!

One more thing! I asked DD if she knew if they'd purchased insurance and she said 'yes, Carnivals'.

I've never purchased a cruiselines insurance. When I've gotten it it's always been through a travel insurance company that the agency I worked for a while back used exclusively.

Does Carnival's cover emergency transportation back home? I always thought they mainly covered cruise cancellation so please correct me if I'm wrong!

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/carnivals_vacation_protection.aspx

Section I: TRAVEL ARRANGEMENT PROTECTION Provided by Carnival Cruise Lines

Plan Protection Maximum Reimbursement Per Person

Trip Cancellation (for specified reasons)

Total Cruise Vacation Cost

Trip Interruption (for specified reasons)

Total Cruise Vacation Cost

Trip Delay

$500

Cancellation for Any Other Reason

75% Cruise Credit*

* For sailings departing on or after January 1st, 2011.

Section II: TRAVEL PROTECTION COVERAGES Underwritten by Virginia Surety Company, Inc. HTP04190

What if the unexpected occurs?

Medical Protection

Maximum Reimbursement Per Person

Emergency Evacuation

$30,000

Repatriation of Remains

$30,000

Accident Medical Expense

$10,000

Sickness Medical Expense

$10,000

Or your bags take a detour?

Baggage Protection

Maximum Reimbursement Per Person

Baggage/Personal Effects

$1,500

Baggage Delay

$500

Help away from home

24-Hour Worldwide Emergency Assistance

Emergency Cash Transfer Assistance

Medical Consultation & Monitoring

Emergency Legal Assistance

Emergency Medical & Dental Assistance

Lost Travel Documents Assistance

Emergency Medical Payments

If they don't have a passport, all the insurance in the world won't help them. They will eventually be able to get back in the US, though the cruise may be over before that happens. It's going to be a long and complicated process.

That's why people should pony up the few extra bucks and get passports instead of passcards.

One more thing! I asked DD if she knew if they'd purchased insurance and she said 'yes, Carnivals'.

I've never purchased a cruiselines insurance. When I've gotten it it's always been through a travel insurance company that the agency I worked for a while back used exclusively.

Does Carnival's cover emergency transportation back home? I always thought they mainly covered cruise cancellation so please correct me if I'm wrong!

Probably not...unless they purchased the air transportation through Carnival. Generally Carnival's protection plan only covers the parts of the vacation one purchases through Carnival. If they purchased their airfare to/from the port on their own, Carnival Insurance most likely does not cover it. They would have needed to purchase separate coverage for independent air arrangements.

They will also need to tread carefully in getting reimbursement for the part of the cruise they missed. If the mother was ill before the trip started, its fairly likely that it will be considered a "pre-existing condition" and unless there is a waiver of pre-existing conditions its possible they use it as a reason to deny coverage.

Sorry to hear the news OP.

Logistics in this situation can be tough. If I read the itinerary correctly, your DD is on a Sea Day today and they will be in Progreso tomorrow (Monday). The nearest Int'l airport to Progreso is approx. 50-60 miles in Tampico. Flights from there to Mobile look expensive and limited.

Hope it all works out.

I have an update. Family member told DD to pray tonight as they have applied for an emergency evacuation(?...I forgot exactly what she called it!!) through customs for tomorrow but will not get a 'yea or nay' until tomorrow.

Having been to Progreso a couple of times we went on tour once to Meridia(?) which wasn't very far. Out of curiosity I checked to see if they had flights leaving from there and they do so that may be where they fly out of.

When I find out the answer they get tomorrow, I will let you all know. And thanks for your replies.

Sorry to hear the news OP.

Logistics in this situation can be tough. If I read the itinerary correctly, your DD is on a Sea Day today and they will be in Progreso tomorrow (Monday). The nearest Int'l airport to Progreso is approx. 50-60 miles in Tampico. Flights from there to Mobile look expensive and limited.

Hope it all works out.

There is an airport in Merida. Continental flies non-stop from Merida to Houston. It is only about 20-30 minutes from Progreso to Merida.

Condolences to your DD's neighbor.

We've discovered people grieve in different ways on a ship. We were on the tail end of a HAL world-cruise. 2 ladies were each eating by themselves. Our waiter said that the first gal's husband passed away onboard. She flew home buried him and came back. The second gal just shipped her deceased husband home.:eek:

My DD just called and told me that the mother of her next-door-neighbour died suddenly last night and they (her neighbours) are on the Elation. They were told by Carnival that they would have trouble getting back without passports but that under the circumstances they would do what they could to help them.

My DD asked me if I thought they could get back before Thursday when the Elation docks in Mobile. I told her I didn't know but that surely exeptions could be made in a case like this and that I would post this and see if anyone on this board would know.

Thanks!!! And if we didn't already have passports, this story would be the nudge to get one!!

If they are getting off the ship in a foreign place, they will not be able to fly home. A passport is required to fly between countries...and they make no exception...it's the U.S. State Department/Customs and Immigration and the law. Carnival has nothing to do with it....at all....

While you can travel on closed looped cruises with a BC and Photo ID, you cannot fly.

They can get a temporary passport paper that would allow them in the country on a one-time use.. However, this required contacting a U.S. Embassy or Consulate from whatever country they are in. That process can take days.

This is a good reminder that anyone who travels needs a passport, for sure.

Exactly! My mom had her passport stolen in Amsterdam last year at the airport as she was getting ready to check in for her flight home to LAX. She panicked and called American Express (gods in my eyes, by the way). Am Ex contacted the American Embassy for my mom and the Am Ex lady singlehandedly made arrangements to get mom and my sister back to LA. We had to pick them up in LA with all sorts of ID but everything turned out well. We were on the phone with Am Ex about 5 separate times but they conferenced us in (and it was the middle of the night here in California, I may add) and helped in a way that really no one else could have....

Now I always have a back up copy of my passport someplace else outside my purse, get 100% cruise insurance AND always pay with my Am Ex card. Nothing can substitute a peace of mind. Hope it turns out ok for the family too!

Katherine

Everyone is different. I don't have a passport and have cruised four times. I'm very affectionate with my loved ones. If one should pass away while I'm on a cruise, I don't mean to be insensitive but....they're gone. They're going to be just as dead when I get back from my cruise in 3-4 days. It's something I've definitely thought about and have spoken with them about. And vice versa, if something were to happen to me when they're away, there's no need to rush back.

Obviously it is easier to deal with emergencies like this if you have a passport- but the world will not end if you get stuck someplace without one. We had 4 of them stolen (along with everything else- money, cc's, plane tickets, ids) when we were in Thailand. It took a long afternoon to get everything organized, but it wasn't a horror show either.

Update: I just wanted to let everyone who was kind enough to comment that DD just found out that they will be home tomorrow morning at 10:00. She didn't find out any other particulars but it sounds like, yes, they were given an okay sometime today and will fly from tomorrow's port, Cozumel. We live near Gulfport MS so, besides ours, there are a couple of airports in the area that they could be coming into.

So luckily. the powere-that-be were kind in this instance.

I'm getting a little off track, but what happened to the plan a year or two ago that EVERYONE cruising would have to have a passport? Has that been scratched or just delayed? Just curious.

Update: I just wanted to let everyone who was kind enough to comment that DD just found out that they will be home tomorrow morning at 10:00. She didn't find out any other particulars but it sounds like, yes, they were given an okay sometime today and will fly from tomorrow's port, Cozumel. We live near Gulfport MS so, besides ours, there are a couple of airports in the area that they could be coming into.

So luckily. the powere-that-be were kind in this instance.

I'm getting a little off track, but what happened to the plan a year or two ago that EVERYONE cruising would have to have a passport? Has that been scratched or just delayed? Just curious.

That plan was eventually amended to include the "closed loop cruise" exemption and, as far as I know, no further actions are anticipated in the foreseeable future. If they try to eliminate the exemption it will likely be a lengthy process which requires posting new regulations in the Federal Register, allowing a period for comment by interested parties, including citizens, revisions to the regulation to take into account some of those comments and, eventually putting the new regulation into effect. It took years for the current policies to be put in place so you needn't worry that you will wake up some morning and find that things have changed overnight.

I found out a little more today. Yes, they arrived this morning in NO but from Houston where they flew to yesterday and where they had to spend last night. So they did leave the ship at Progreso yesterday. They were issued a "temporary" passport and will have to extend it to the real thing eventually.

I'm surprised at how fast their request was handled. Kudos to Carnival for knowing what strings to pull and to the officials who okayed it so promptly!

If they are getting off the ship in a foreign place' date=' they will not be able to fly home. A passport is required to fly between countries...and they make no exception...it's the U.S. State Department/Customs and Immigration and the law. Carnival has nothing to do with it....at all....[/quote']

Wrong again.

Archived