Carry-on Wine Question

JKCruisers

We've always bought the wine package as soon as we are on the ship, but in December we are taking a quick 4-day cruise out of Galveston on the Valor, so are thinking about just taking on the 2 bottles that you can carry on. Just wondering what the wine check-in procedure is like when boarding? Thanks.

You must carry it on and show it at the security table. Galveston is pretty thorough about inspecting seals and whatnot from what we've heard.

Yes...the Galveston security people are very thorough checking out the wine bottles. Very thorough. To the point where I asked if he just wanted to go ahead and crack the seal and have a sip. I mean, geez. It's obvious the seal wasn't broken! LOL.

It it ok to have the soda and wine in one carry on suitcase? For example the 2 allowed 12 packs and the 2 allowed bottles of wine?

I think last time we had 2 wines in one carry on and 2 12-packs of soda in another. But we made sure both of us were standing there at the same person/checker. Just in case.

Remember a wine opener. They will charge an uncorking fee go open it for you.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

The "corking fee" has nothing to do with whether they actually pull the cork for you. That is a fee that they CAN charge you if you bring the bottle to the dining rooms. (the rules clearly provide for it, but there are very few stories of actual enforcement of such a fee). You can't get around the corking fee merely by opening it yourself.

That being said, bringing your own opener is a good idea, even if it just saves you the trouble of finding one on board.

Ok thank you - was trying to avoid 2 carry ons lol Appreciate your time:D

In August on the Breeze, we put 2 bottles of wine and 2 12pks of soda in one rolling duffel. No issues, I don't even recall them opening and inspecting the bottles/cans while going through security. YMMV

• 4 months later...
Okay so the "uncorking fee" only applies if you bring the bottle to a dining room? I've been told some cruise lines charge it as soon as you bring a bottle on board.

Yes, some do (HAL). Carnival doesn't. :)

However, last time we looked HAL did not limit you to 1 bottle per person

Okay so the "uncorking fee" only applies if you bring the bottle to a dining room? I've been told some cruise lines charge it as soon as you bring a bottle on board.

without opening it? I don't think so, never

Does anyone know if you can bring the little wine spritzers in a can.

My Sister in law likes to drink these on our beach trips.

https://www.barefootwine.com/our-wine/refresh/wine-in-a-can (like these).

Are these new? I’ve never heard of them, but will definitely give them a try this weekend at home. I’m am also curious whether they can be brought on up to the 2x 750ml limit.

You must carry it on and show it at the security table. Galveston is pretty thorough about inspecting seals and whatnot from what we've heard.

Your advise is as per their policy, but I'm amazed at every cruise how many walk from the security scanner with a backpack containing two wine bottles, one for the wife and one for him right to the escalator to the check-in level.

Sharing a friends experiences :halo:. More than once...

without opening it? I don't think so, never

some cruise lines charge you when you board.

NCL

Can I still bring wine on board?

Yes, guests may bring sealed bottles of wine on board for personal consumption. They will be checked prior to embarkation and a corkage fee applied at that time of $15.00 USD for a 750 ml Bottle or $30.00 USD for a 1,500 ml Magnum bottle. Box wines are not allowed on board. If guests do not wish to pay the corkage fee, the wine will be held onboard and returned to the guests at the end of the cruise.

Princess does. When checking in your wine they charge your card right there. Then they put a sticker on it to show it has been checked.

We took wine on Regal in 2016 and were not charged any fee. Our traveling companions in the next cabin were not charged, either. We took one of those little plastic travel corkscrews and opened it ourselves. It was nice to enjoy while sitting on the balcony.

I think where people get confused about the fee is that folks keep referring to it at a "corking fee". It's not, it's a "corkage fee" and literally has nothing to do with the cork, who opens the bottle or whose corkscrew is used to open it. A corkage fee is a common practice in restaurants across the country. Some restaurants will allow you to bring your preferred bottle of wine in with you, but if they also sell wine in their restaurant, they will charge you a corkage fee to compensate for the loss of profit they would have made if you had purchased one of their bottles.

Carnival follows that practice should you bring your bottle into the MDR with you (regardless of who physically opens the bottle or whose corkscrew is used).

If you desire to bring your own wine on board, do follow the rules, they may or may not inspect your wine thoroughly (don't take it personally if they do), and if you want to have your wine with you at dinner, ask for wine glasses at any bar, pour your glass in your cabin, carry it into the MDR with you and enjoy! Should you forget a corkscrew, ask your room steward for one, they will help you out - no fee.

Yes...the Galveston security people are very thorough checking out the wine bottles. Very thorough. To the point where I asked if he just wanted to go ahead and crack the seal and have a sip. I mean, geez. It's obvious the seal wasn't broken! LOL.

yeah they inspected mine hard last week.