Giant Causeway - Carrick-a-rede Rope Bridge - not possible to cross??

Hello,

I am inquiring about a private tour in Belfast to see the Giant Causeway and because we want to cross the rope bridge and group tours do not offer that.

I was told that that is no longer possible because you now have to pre book a certain time to cross the bridge and the private tour organizer cannot guarantee the time slot.

Have you used anyone in the last year (since they implemented pre booking the time slot) that can guarantee the crossing when organizing a private tour?

Also we would like to drive along the coast way or parts of it, since this is another reason we are paying for a private tour. Yet again, they say they cannot do that. We are willing to pay a little extra even though group tours are so much cheaper.

Maybe we have not found the right company yet.

Any recommendations you can share?

Thanks,

Yv

It seems that accredited tours with 15+ in the group can pre-book. Everyone else has to book when they get there (and pay £7.00) to be given a one-hour slot. They do say, and TA confirms, that getting there early avoids a wait.

If the wait is longer, and some people at peak times had to wait three hours, you could go down the coast and come back in your time-slot. I would have thought that a private tour would be able to work round the rules. Maybe you could just try some more to see what they say.

Two at random from Google:

http://www.cityandcausewaytours.com/index.html

http://www.mybelfastchauffeur.com/

Hello,

I am inquiring about a private tour in Belfast to see the Giant Causeway and because we want to cross the rope bridge and group tours do not offer that.

I was told that that is no longer possible because you now have to pre book a certain time to cross the bridge and the private tour organizer cannot guarantee the time slot.

Have you used anyone in the last year (since they implemented pre booking the time slot) that can guarantee the crossing when organizing a private tour?

Also we would like to drive along the coast way or parts of it, since this is another reason we are paying for a private tour. Yet again, they say they cannot do that. We are willing to pay a little extra even though group tours are so much cheaper.

Maybe we have not found the right company yet.

Any recommendations you can share?

Thanks,

Yv

We’re using City and Causeway Tours in July. They will customize their offerings to suit the customer, so they may be able to help. I have found the owner, Alister, to be very responsive and easy to work with.

Here’s the website: http://www.cityandcausewaytours.com

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We’re using City and Causeway Tours in July. They will customize their offerings to suit the customer, so they may be able to help. I have found the owner, Alister, to be very responsive and easy to work with.

Here’s the website: http://www.cityandcausewaytours.com

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I second Alister at City and Causeways. While foregoing crossing the bridge was initially a disappointment, there is So much to see and do and so very little time it was ok we didn’t cross it. Alister was able to take us along the coast where no tour bus could go. His Mercedes sprinter was immaculate and it was a wonderful action packed tour for four of us. Highly recommend.

I don't understand the bit about "can't drive along the coast" - they're public roads. They can drive where they want.

I'd give up on this lot and try other companies.

And as Bob pointed out further up, if you go to Carrick-a-Rede first, you can book your ticket; if it is too early, Giant's Causeway is only 8 miles down the coast so you can go there and come back at your appointed time. I would presume, but I don't know, that if they offer you a slot 2 hours ahead you can ask for one 3 hours ahead or four hours ahead, if you wish.

The coast road goes directly past both attractions - you aren't going out of your way to drop in at Carrick-a-Rede on your way to Giant's Causeway.