Buying sunscreen - Miami airport on on ship?

blusun

My husband and I leave on the Sky in 2 weeks! Is supposed to be quick, easy, low stress 4 day trip. Part of that includes a direct early morning flight into Miami the day we embark (we get in at 8:45am) and using carry ons only. I have never flow without a checked bag (never done this short of a trip either). I have all our toiletries figured to stay under the liquid limit for flying but just remembered about sunscreen. I'm pale and that's A LOT of little travel bottles to take...

so my question is... I know picking up sunscreen at either Miami airport or on the ship will be expensive but which will be LESS expensive? And how much are we talking - $10, $15, $20 a tube/spray can? Any other ideas welcome. Sunscreen is really all we need to buy once we get there and I dont really have any interest in getting a cab to drop us off at a drug store on the way to the pier.

Thanks!

If you take a cab to the pier you could have the taxi stop at a local drug store to pick some up.

........"Sunscreen is really all we need to buy once we get there and I dont really have any interest in getting a cab to drop us off at a drug store on the way to the pier. "

The airport and the ship will be relatively similar in pricing levels. Since you do not wish to stop on the way, you are pretty much locked into those price levels.

Are you certain you couldn't get yourself a small tube of sunscreen to make it through a couple of days? I have found that in a lot of ports the sunscreen is very reasonable. If you have a small bottle of it to get you to your first port you could buy as much as you need for the rest of the trip.

Edited by cliffd64

Are you certain you couldn't get yourself a small tube of sunscreen to make it through a couple of days? I have found that in a lot of ports the sunscreen is very reasonable. If you have a small bottle of it to get you to your first port you could buy as much as you need for the rest of the trip.

I second this. I'm fair-skinned and would have the same dilemma. Just to be certain, I'd pack a 3-oz. sunscreen in my carry-on to know I have some, then buy more in port at my leisure.

Sounds like you've got a hectic sailing day already. Why add an errand to it?

The few times I've been forced to buy toiletries on the ship I've kicked myself over the outrageous prices.

I've become obsessed with Neutrogena beach defense sunscreen stick. It looks like a deodorant, but it's block. I found it at a few retailers online, which price + shipping might be less than buying stuff at airport or on board. Because it's not a liquid, you don't have to try to fit it in your 1 qt bag!

I'm ghostly pale, and use a TON of block when going anywhere near the sun. This normally meant checking my carry on sized bag. This sunblock deodorant has been a huge help! (and it smells great! lol)

I've become obsessed with Neutrogena beach defense sunscreen stick. It looks like a deodorant, but it's block. I found it at a few retailers online, which price + shipping might be less than buying stuff at airport or on board. Because it's not a liquid, you don't have to try to fit it in your 1 qt bag!

I'm ghostly pale, and use a TON of block when going anywhere near the sun. This normally meant checking my carry on sized bag. This sunblock deodorant has been a huge help! (and it smells great! lol)

I love anything Neutrogena. I'm going to have to look for this solid sunblock. What a brilliant product! I've gotten hooked on the spray sunblock because I can do my own back when I'm traveling alone. :) But I have to pack it in checked luggage.

Thanks everyone for the tips - I plan on packing a couple trial sizes for the plane ride and a face stick (I use them on my daughter!). Then pick up a couple sprays in the airport. I don't mind paying a few dollars extra for the convenience but didn't want to be stuck paying 3x the cost! I hadnt thought about the ship store not being open when we got on board.

Thanks!

My husband and I leave on the Sky in 2 weeks! Is supposed to be quick, easy, low stress 4 day trip. Part of that includes a direct early morning flight into Miami the day we embark (we get in at 8:45am) and using carry ons only. I have never flow without a checked bag (never done this short of a trip either). I have all our toiletries figured to stay under the liquid limit for flying but just remembered about sunscreen. I'm pale and that's A LOT of little travel bottles to take...

so my question is... I know picking up sunscreen at either Miami airport or on the ship will be expensive but which will be LESS expensive? And how much are we talking - $10, $15, $20 a tube/spray can? Any other ideas welcome. Sunscreen is really all we need to buy once we get there and I dont really have any interest in getting a cab to drop us off at a drug store on the way to the pier.

Thanks!

Hi, the shops on the ship WILL NOT be open until after sailing and they are VERY expensive.

Is there any reason between now and the day you cruise you cannot get to a Walmart or some other local store near you? :confused: It would be much cheaper and convenient as you will have it with you. Also, airport prices are quite high as well. JMHO

Have a good cruise:)

Edited by UandMe4Ever

If you take a cab to the pier you could have the taxi stop at a local drug store to pick some up.

The OP did not want to stop at Drug store:

OP

"I dont really have any interest in getting a cab to drop us off at a drug store on the way to the pier."

! *** HOWEVER *** !

They should reconsider as a cab driver would know where the drug stores are

enroute from the airport to the pier.

The driver would wait for you to complete your purchase which in a Walgreens

or CVS pharmacy should not take much time and be a better price bargain than

the airport and ship gift shops venues.

Another thing to consider if you forgot or need to add something else the stop

then would be more productive i.e. soda pop Coke products - NCL only has Pepsi;

or bottled water or any number of things that might come to mind maybe a

magazine or book to read that you did not bring with you.

If you google or yahoo or whatever search engine you have you can find drug

stores leaving the airport and not many near the port.

No Target or Wal*Marts along the way and not for consideration

since you would be paying the cab driver for waiting time - keep it to a minimum !

*No waiting in line 999!* LOL !

One thing if resorting to buy the sun lotion in the airport remember to buy

it after security in the departing airport or before leaving the security zone

of the arriving airports. Extremely rare to find gift shops outside the security

zone !

*HINT*

Get the approved TSA 3-1-1 travel bag and you will find normally 6 little 1oz

plastic bottles and a few small compact containers. Take your bargain home

bought sun lotion and transfer it to as many of those 6 bottles you will need

on the voyage. I put booze in mine doesn't help with sun screening but it

beats buying a drink on the airplane.

Hope this helps - if you do use a cab driver and make the intermediate stop

inquire what the waiting time/charge will be. It just may be more productive

or economical to just buy the expensive stuff on board -OR- simply wait to the

first port stop and get it. Keep your cab stop short and add a small tip - but

do consider the merits of the time factor if running late - "Get me to the ship

on time" !

We're talking here at the most...a 4 or 5 dollar difference in Walmart or ship/airport prices. That's the price of one beer on board. Considering the total cruise price....... This sunscreen.................

I had to wonder about this too. Not really an issue when looking at the big picture. We have all had to pay a little more sometimes, that's why some stores are called "convenience stores" I would just suck it up and pay the extra couple of bucks. After the cruise the remaining sunscreen will have to be tossed any way, cannot take it back through security. Could be we are just been wound up here.:eek:

Out of my 20 some cruises I don't think I can remember a time that the ships store wasn't open the first night by about 7pm or so. Way too many people forget their toothbrush or whatever...

There is also a nice drug store/gift shop in Nassau across from and that ugly Bacardi building on the main street that has sundries and small gifts for very reasonable prices...

How much sunscreen does one family need for 4 days? I cant even finish a whole bottle in a season...

If this is the Sky leaving Oct 20th, I'm on this cruise...I will be on the lookout for a family of very pale people and offer them some of my Supergoop 50 SPF dry oil...:eek:

One adult requires 1 oz every 2 hours for proper coverage and protection. A travel-sized bottle won't cut it!!

Buy two?? Each I guess. you can always take the "leftovers" home and use them on the next cruise, watch out for the expiry date though. There is also the frightening fact you may have to buy toothpaste along with sunscreen on the ship. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I also am a big fan of Neutrogena. A full-size tube is just 3 ounces. I also looked at some of the other sunscreens I have and they are 3 oz as well. Just go to your local store and pick up your favorite. Chances are it will be 3 oz.

Hi, the shops on the ship WILL NOT be open until after sailing and they are VERY expensive.

Is there any reason between now and the day you cruise you cannot get to a Walmart or some other local store near you? :confused: It would be much cheaper and convenient as you will have it with you. Also, airport prices are quite high as well. JMHO

Have a good cruise:)

The problem is that OP is flying with just carry ons and the Airport Security Screeners have determined that any non-solid substance is dangerous if in a container larger than 100 ml (3.4 oz) if it is going into the passenger compartment of an aircraft.

The problem is that OP is flying with just carry ons and the Airport Security Screeners have determined that any non-solid substance is dangerous if in a container larger than 100 ml (3.4 oz) if it is going into the passenger compartment of an aircraft.

Go to AAA or a travel agent with a gift shop and buy the TSA approved 3-1-1

travel kit. Break you suntan lotion down into the small bottles in the kit.

Voila TSA satisfied passes muster. Only foreseen problem is the small amount

may not suffice but will get you by till you can get more.