Missed Port

Has anyone here ever made a claim for a missed port with InsureandGo? They do cover it in their silver and gold policies.

We just missed Lifou due to a Cyclone and my wife is frightened that they will charge us extra for our next policy if we make a claim.

Has anyone here ever made a claim for a missed port with InsureandGo? They do cover it in their silver and gold policies.

We just missed Lifou due to a Cyclone and my wife is frightened that they will charge us extra for our next policy if we make a claim.

Interesting question. I insure with Insure and Go, but haven't had to claim. I doubt travel claims would affect future insurance premiums. Why don't you phone them or email them and ask?

Hi Russell21,

I was on that Cruise ( Pacific Explorer ) 12 Feb to 22 Feb.

I have claimed for past MISSED PORTS and I have not been penalised for making a claim.

The only important thing you should have done was get a letter from the Front Desk stating that the Port of Lifou was missed because of inclement weather.

If you did not get the letter phone. P&O because it is 1 of the documents you must have to complete your claim

Download the Cruise Claim Form from The Insure&go website it will tell you all the documents that you need.

You have 30 days to submit a claim.

Hope this has been helpfully.

My claim has already been sent.

Cheers

Zac

Russell we made a claim for 4 missed ports on the 2016 world cruise. We provided documentation from Princess and claims were paid no issues. We have also taken out policies since then and there does not appear to be any indication of extra charges.

I am also curious. How do they work out what its worth to miss a port? We have missed many but all we ever got back was a credit for the port fees....if any.

That was what I was thinking also?? If you have booked and paid for a tour, mostly you would get a refund from the vendor. So what do you get from missed port insurance? What are you out that 'justifies' getting a payout?

I'm curious. If a cruise skips NZ Fiordland due to weather, is that considered a missed port?

dont think it would be covered as its scenic cruising

That's an interesting point. In many ways Fiordland is the highlight of an NZ cruise, especially Milford Sound, so if the missed port claim amount is meant as some sort of recompense for not visiting a particular place then it should be covered. :confused::confused::confused:

That's an interesting point. In many ways Fiordland is the highlight of an NZ cruise, especially Milford Sound, so if the missed port claim amount is meant as some sort of recompense for not visiting a particular place then it should be covered. :confused::confused::confused:

On our last cruise to NZ in December last year we missed Fiorland due to weather and there were many disappointed UK cruisers and possibly others. It didn't worry us too much as we had been there several times but we felt for the those that missed a possible once in a lifetime experience

No, not with Insure and Go, which states up front "if your cruise never docks at a port during a trip due to adverse weather conditions, etc."

you are correct as this is from the FAQ

SECTION D3 - MISSED PORTWhat you are covered for We will pay you an amount for each scheduled port your cruise never docks at during a trip. The total amount for missing multiple ports is specified in the Table of Benefits

if you get NORO and confined to your cabin you get paid for that too

SECTION B3 - CABIN CONFINEMENTWhat you are covered forWe will pay up to the amount shown in the Table of benefits for each 24hr period that you are confined by the shipsmedical officer to your cabin for medical reasons during the period of your trip.

Edited by rkmw

I have read through the policy and cannot find a definition for "docks". I would imagine that to "dock" would be to tie up at structure such as a wharf. Many ports do not have wharves where a cruise ship can tie up. Can dock mean moor?

I would expect that Fiorland, being an advertised destination, would be covered. If a ship drops its anchor, as it does at small islands, mean that it has docked? Milford Sound is a port albiet a small one.

I imagine the main claim for a missed port would be the shore tour expenses (if any). As for the fiordlands, that would be bad luck unless you were doing the overnight in Queenstown.

We always take the InsureandGo Silver cover, the payment for a missed port is a flat $500.00, I'm assuming the 1 or 2 hundred dollar excess that you have chosen comes off this amount.

We always take the InsureandGo Silver cover, the payment for a missed port is a flat $500.00, I'm assuming the 1 or 2 hundred dollar excess that you have chosen comes off this amount.

I’ve heard there is no excess for missed ports.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The pds says the payment for silver is $50 per Port to a max of $500. Gold is double.

Be pretty awful trip that missed 10 ports, probably like that Norwegian ship that floated around the place last year.

The pds says the payment for silver is $50 per Port to a max of $500. Gold is double.

Be pretty awful trip that missed 10 ports, probably like that Norwegian ship that floated around the place last year.

Hmmmm, must read that section again, thought it was a bit generous at $500.00.

EDIT. Did a reread, knew it was too good to be true, but $50 bucks is a few Scotch and soda for the next trip. :)

Edited by Russell21

My wife and I were on the Emerald Princess in February, 2017 when a crew member was tragically killed just as we were preparing to leave Port Chalmers. We were delayed for 24 hours while the authorities investigated the cause of the accident.

We missed Milford Sound. Under the circumstances, nobody onboard cared. Princess gave each passenger $200 in “compensation”. We donated ours to the crew member’s family in the Philippines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are going through this now and they haven't made claiming it easy either. Made the mistake of not reading the PDS thoroughly and thought it was $500 per port so went with them instead of other companies...To cut the story short, we missed 3 ports and people we travelled with get $250 per port ($750), we get $50 per port ($150).

The Moral of the story, read the PDS thoroughly and use a different travel insurance company.