Can You Bring a Weighted Blanket Aboard?

namowal

I sleep much better with a weighted blanket (similar to this one.) Will there be a problem getting something like that through security? There's no wires or electronic parts, but I'm concerned that the dense filling (and the fact that it's a relatively unusual product) will get it flagged as potentially hazardous.

I'm guessing from some of your other posts that you aren't flying to your embarkation port, so luggage weight and airport security shouldn't be an issue. The actual weights, whether they are pellets or rocks, may have ships security take notice when your luggage is scanned. Worst case scenario, they call you to the naughty room to open your suitcase so they can visually inspect it.

• 1 year later...

I just got back off carnival sensation. I took 2 weighted blankets. I put them in checked bags. All my bags came except my blankets. At 6 o'clock I went to find it. Curiously it was in lost bags w my boarding luggage tag attached. When I took it to my room I found a security letter in my bag saying it was checked for possible security threat & deemed not to be one. So yes it will get through might go through a security screening. The room steward was very good about making the bed using that blanket. Hope this helps sorry so long

This is certainly an eye opening thread and quite interesting.  It has me wondering what other unusual items folks bring along on their cruises.  We had previously heard of pillows, sheets, and favorite stuffed animals.  Never heard of a weighted blanket until this thread.  In fact, I never even heard of a weighted blanket unless somebody was referring to a blanket with me on top :).

Hank

• Like 2

Intresting, I had never heard of them either. I always have to have some sort of cover to sleep, but the weight doesn't bother me. I do have a beautiful hand knitted aran blanket that one of my aunts knitted me I use in the winter. It weighs 20 lbs, so I don't think I will need a weighted blanket. 😊😉

Weighted blankets are anything but useless for some people.

I have a 10 pound 66" long x 42" wide cotton and fleece-covered blanket that I used this past winter.  The weight and size are perfect for my small small, short body. I sleep better as it is less likely to move off of my body to chill me which will wake me up.  Better sleep means a better me.

I bought the blanket for anxiety issues I sometimes have and while I cannot say that the anxiety has been impacted by the blanket.  However, some people swear by them for anxiety, sensory issues, autism, Asperger' s Syndrome, PTSD, insomnia, etc.

Edited by Bookish Angel