Pride America Compensation ONLY on cruise rate- nothing else

mwdto

Be wary of the 25% discount on future cruises given as "compensation" for the 7 day becoming a six day (before the trolls come out yes I know in their contract that they can do this) it is only on the cruise rate only. In our case this becomes a 18.2% disount.

It gets better for the "one day prorated deduction" Vivian Ewart told us we would get in her letter. Again only on the cruise rate. Yep folks you are paying for 7 days grat (for 6 days of service) 7 days port fees (even though ship will only be in port 6 days) and taxes based on what you originally paid.

The minimum they should be ethically doing is one full day refund on what you paid in total. After this you give compensation to hope to retain your clients- business 101 folks.

We have brought these concerns to Norweigan and they are sticking to the compensation package as offered and we should be happy- yes they can change or cancel days per the contract so show up and be happy- hmmm sounds like United Airlines.

An onboard credit of $100 per person (would cost them $45) would go a long way to easing tensions and maybe retaining people.

I will be writing Vivian Ewart when I get home and letting her know my impressions of how this was handled. She sent us a letter we should all send her one.

I will let you know how this cruise went- right now not happy

Two cruises were affected (one ends a day early, one starts a day (or more) late) to allow for maintenance. The cruise line didn't break the ship just to inconvenience you. The offer is most generous and greatly exceeds what they owe you by contract you signed.

You are smart and I think you understand that the letter from "Vivian" is a form letter generated for 4500 passengers over the two POA cruises. And that there are typically several cruises a month which encounter changes due to weather, maintenance, port restoration in the Caribbean, etc., each of which generate thousands of form letters from "Vivian".

And that the thousands letters/emails sent to "Vivian" weekly are handled by minimum wage customer service agents who will respond, after several weeks, with a form letter.

Just wondering how a $100 obc only costs them $45. I'm guessing you are referring to the theory that they make $65 on every $100 of stuff they sell on board?

Regardless pax pay the price listed...so if ncl is charging say $50 for something...that's exactly what it costs me $50. I'd be ok with an obc to cover that

Of course the best use of any obc is to use it to buy another cruise cert....$250 cert only costs pax $150 to start with and if you have that extra $100 obc then you are only paying $50 for a cert that is not only worth $250... but.... and we all know this is the real beauty of the certs...will act as a full deposit on your next cabin.

That will show them lol

Of course then ncl gets thousands from you in the long run lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by maggie cruises

Be wary of the 25% discount on future cruises given as "compensation" for the 7 day becoming a six day (before the trolls come out yes I know in their contract that they can do this) it is only on the cruise rate only. In our case this becomes a 18.2% disount.

It gets better for the "one day prorated deduction" Vivian Ewart told us we would get in her letter. Again only on the cruise rate. Yep folks you are paying for 7 days grat (for 6 days of service) 7 days port fees (even though ship will only be in port 6 days) and taxes based on what you originally paid.

The minimum they should be ethically doing is one full day refund on what you paid in total. After this you give compensation to hope to retain your clients- business 101 folks.

We have brought these concerns to Norweigan and they are sticking to the compensation package as offered and we should be happy- yes they can change or cancel days per the contract so show up and be happy- hmmm sounds like United Airlines.

An onboard credit of $100 per person (would cost them $45) would go a long way to easing tensions and maybe retaining people.

I will be writing Vivian Ewart when I get home and letting her know my impressions of how this was handled. She sent us a letter we should all send her one.

I will let you know how this cruise went- right now not happy

On the couple other threads a couple of us posted this already to let folks know. This is consistent with how they have done it in the past. Not saying right or wrong, just your triip is not out of the ordinary.

If they only gave 1/7 back it woud only be 14.3% so they are actually giving you more than one day credit.

You get 25% of your basic cruise fare to go toward your next cruise.

You get one day's worth of port fees back to your OBA.

You don't get charged one day's DSC.

NCL pays for your one night's stay at a Hilton hotel on Waikiki which may be worth more that your one day on cruise (if you are in an Ocean View cabin).

It happened to us when our cruise was shortened by one day. We came out fine and happy, and we still cruise with NCL.

While I dislike the fact that they did this. Not sure why you would think you would get a credit based on anything besides the cruise fare. Any excursions purchased will be refunded. Your trip length will be made while with a hotel stay so the flights don’t need changed. Granted it’s a huge inconvenience and it sounds as though it could have been prevented with proper planning. But you are picking hairs at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a First Timer on NCL, this just goes further to confirm my suspicions about this cruise line. Now it may be different in other parts of the world but my pre-cruise experience has so far been a bit distasteful. Generally not customer service oriented. I found the constant price adds annoying, the website poor, the upgrade bidding slimey. Just charge me what the cost is and that's it.

Sadly I am not looking at this as a cruise (like on Royal Carribbean or Viking) but like a Greyhound Bus to the islands. They could offer me 75% off my next cruise and I would still think long and hard about it. Now maybe it will be great and I hope it will be!

We are on the March 10 (now March 11) sailing. We accepted their offer of the pre-cruise one night @ Hilton Hawaiian Vilage. They also offered a CHOICE between 25% off future cruise (must be used within one year) OR one day (= 1/7) refund of cruise fare. (Does not include one day refund of taxes & fees, which I calculated to be about $66.) IMHO, this 'generous' offer is the absolute minimum they could possibly offer, given the extenuating circumstances. I believe they should have offered BOTH the one day refund AND 25% off future cruise (2 year expiration date). And, as a goodwill gesture, $100 shipboard credit, which, as someone pointed out, only costs them $45. You can be sure many pax will be complaining in person once we are onboard. Also, don't forget that we now have to now pay for 3 meals in Honolulu for the 'extra' day that otherwise would have been included on the ship.

You can be sure many pax will be complaining in person once we are onboard.
I just wonder what you think you will be accomplishing by complaining to the ship's crew who had nothing to do with the offer you were given and doesn't have the authority to give you anything more.

This always seems to happen, folks are saying that they should be given more to retain their business, but also say that they will never cruise on NCL again. Now, why on God's green earth should any business give someone more, if they are never going to use them again. Best to give percentage off their next cruise, because those that will continue to do business with them will and those that don't want to do business with them can walk away.

I just wonder what you think you will be accomplishing by complaining to the ship's crew who had nothing to do with the offer you were given and doesn't have the authority to give you anything more.

This always seems to happen, folks are saying that they should be given more to retain their business, but also say that they will never cruise on NCL again. Now, why on God's green earth should any business give someone more, if they are never going to use them again. Best to give percentage off their next cruise, because those that will continue to do business with them will and those that don't want to do business with them can walk away.

I will agree with your post having just lived this disappointment with our Pearl cruise NCL canceled. At first, I was disappointed than angry as a wet hen because NCL was not cooperating with the money issues (plane - still not resolved) and returning our deposit money in a timely manner. The 10% towards booking another cruise was laughable, and NCL never came up with the 9-day cruise they gave us a chance of booking.

After finally calming down, after all, it is the first cruise we ever had canceled in about 20 years we decided to take a break from booking on NCL and enjoy my already booked cruise on POA. Will I complain and go on and on about it on my upcoming POA cruise to employees on the ship, absolutely not. As you mentioned the ship's crew have nothing to do with corporate decision making. Will I have a great time on the cruise, you bet!

I totally understand and am sympathetic when unexpected things happen. Its how they deal with it. I offered for them to keep my money and upgrade me to a bigger room. No deal. I offered them to credit me for SPA, no deal. Would I cruise with them again if they actually cared about my experience? absolutely. In this case, not so sure. Tell me why I should be happy about NCL, Please?

Room upgrade could be a no deal because they don't have one available. Plus they couldn't offer everyone on the boat an upgrade so it makes perfect business sense not to do that for everyone. After all, if they did it for one they'd have others calling up and asking for it. (Not to mention your one day refund was likely a lot less than the cost of upgrading to a higher category.)

Future cruise credit is pretty much standard issue on how cruise companies handle problems. Royal did that with me, my friends were on carnival and got a credit too. Taking your business elsewhere will result in the same issue if problems happen on that cruise line.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

As a First Timer on NCL, this just goes further to confirm my suspicions about this cruise line. Now it may be different in other parts of the world but my pre-cruise experience has so far been a bit distasteful. Generally not customer service oriented. I found the constant price adds annoying, the website poor, the upgrade bidding slimey. Just charge me what the cost is and that's it.

Sadly I am not looking at this as a cruise (like on Royal Carribbean or Viking) but like a Greyhound Bus to the islands. They could offer me 75% off my next cruise and I would still think long and hard about it. Now maybe it will be great and I hope it will be!

Don't you think it might be better to wait until you cruise to make a statement comparing NCL to Greyhound. Normally speaking and this comes from TAs as well as professionals, NCL is considered on a level with RCI. Obsiously this is a personal choice, Some will prefer one line, some the other, but they are more alike than different. As for the credit only being given for future bookings, this to is standard. I am betting if you keep an open mind you will enjoy your cruise; I am also betting you have your mind make up and will continue to look for the bad, not the good. BTW, no it is not like Viking and neither is RCI. Viking is a totally different experience and a totalty different class. :confused:

NCL and Viking provide different products; but NCL and royal provide very similar products. What are the ‘price adds’ on NCL that aren’t on Royal? The upgrade process on any line is about purchasing something you didn’t originally buy at a hope for a discount. The room prices are pretty plain on the front end when you purchase your cruise. The standard ability to upgrade your room at full price is generally still available, it’s upgrading at a bargain basement discount that the bidding process is for. Don’t like it, pay full price, easy enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will agree with your post having just lived this disappointment with our Pearl cruise NCL canceled. At first, I was disappointed than angry as a wet hen because NCL was not cooperating with the money issues (plane - still not resolved) and returning our deposit money in a timely manner. The 10% towards booking another cruise was laughable, and NCL never came up with the 9-day cruise they gave us a chance of booking.

After finally calming down, after all, it is the first cruise we ever had canceled in about 20 years we decided to take a break from booking on NCL and enjoy my already booked cruise on POA. Will I complain and go on and on about it on my upcoming POA cruise to employees on the ship, absolutely not. As you mentioned the ship's crew have nothing to do with corporate decision making. Will I have a great time on the cruise, you bet!

Sounds similar to our last trip on the Gem. We went to the Lats desk the first day when it opened to sign-up for BTS. We were third couple line. Couples 1 & 2 ranting to Lat Reps about everything not in control of ship staff like prices on room dropped just before the trip and they weren't given money back, etc. etc.

I figured they might just be angling for something "free" from the onboard staff.

I'm still interested to know how the $100 obc costs ncl $45. Thanks

Do you really think they make zero profit on the items you can purchase with the OBC? Of course not. So, subtract their profit from the $100 to arrive at their cost. I'm not sure that profit totals $55 as someone stated, but it sure isn't zero.

Presenting your issue calmly and persuasively in person many times can lead to a better outcome than complaining on the phone to a faceless rep. Don't tell me that onboard Customer Relations doesn't have the authority to try to resolve passenger complaints within reason. They do, because I have had this personal experience many times. Also, the onboard crew tries very hard to 'keep the customer satisfied' and earn favorable feedback by name in guests' post-cruise satisfaction questionnaires. These feedback responses are considerable factors in affecting their bonuses and promotions.

Do you really think they make zero profit on the items you can purchase with the OBC? Of course not. So, subtract their profit from the $100 to arrive at their cost. I'm not sure that profit totals $55 as someone stated, but it sure isn't zero.

Um I know that

What I'm asking is are we all assuming that is the markup? Posters are saying a $100 obc only costs ncl $45

Ok perhaps....but the best use of an obc is toward a future cruise cert imho

Cert of $250 less the automatic "obc" of $100 =$150 anyway. Then less this cruise compensation obc of $100 makes the cert have a final cost of $50

But...the cert is absolutely worth the full $250 to the pax So in that case that $100 obc they are giving for this cruise compensation thing actually will cost ncl $100

That's how you stick it to ncl. Lol

Presenting your issue calmly and persuasively in person many times can lead to a better outcome than complaining on the phone to a faceless rep. Don't tell me that onboard Customer Relations doesn't have the authority to try to resolve passenger complaints within reason. They do, because I have had this personal experience many times. Also, the onboard crew tries very hard to 'keep the customer satisfied' and earn favorable feedback by name in guests' post-cruise satisfaction questionnaires. These feedback responses are considerable factors in affecting their bonuses and promotions.
Of course, Guest Services can offer up something for an issue that happens on the ship, but I seriously doubt that they will give someone something that overrides a corporate decision.

Sadly I am not looking at this as a cruise (like on Royal Carribbean or Viking) but like a Greyhound Bus to the islands.

I hope they pay a refund better than Greyhound. Greyhound cancelled a bus that I was due to travel on on 4th August 2017 and I am still waiting for the refund!!!!!!!!!

With regards to how a day gets cut short on a trip and compensation, it is not the onboard staff to be able to make that decision. From first hand experience they can maybe give input but ultimately the decision is up to Miami.

Sadly I am not looking at this as a cruise (like on Royal Carribbean or Viking) but like a Greyhound Bus to the islands.

I hope they pay a refund better than Greyhound. Greyhound cancelled a bus that I was due to travel on on 4th August 2017 and I am still waiting for the refund!!!!!!!!!

And can it be assumed you are following up with them regularly?

Or perhaps they credited your credit card and you didn't notice?

Or perhaps they gave you a greyhound credit?

It's February 28.....if you haven't followed up or heard from greyhound by now they it's totally your doing