winter cruising

cruisingqueen86

My experience was aboard Queen Mary 2 to the Caribbean during November. Sailing from New York while darkness fell made a magnificent memory. I was on the open deck overlooking the bow; the ship's speed and the wind it generated made for a very cold experience. But, the sights were worth it. (I then adjourned to the nearby Commodore's Club for some "warming up" beverages.)

The first day and a half and the last day and a half at sea were cool/cold out on the open deck. But, there were plenty of activities going on as well as plenty of seating areas where one could watch the sea.

Sea conditions were normal; off Cape Hatteras, one knew that one was not staying at a land-based resort. But, it was not unpleasant. Remember, QM2 was built to handle rough Atlantic weather during her crossings.

I'd have no hesitation of sailing from New York once again during the Fall/Winter seasons.

By day 2, most folks are in the pool. My DH & DS hopped in hot tub as soon as we boarded! Saving $$$ on flights was well worth it for us (we drove down from Montreal). So much to do on board; we never felt we weren't on vacation yet. But if you hate the cold, bite the bullet & sail out of FL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Expect CHILLY weather for the first couple of days of your cruise.

Not likely. On a number of January sailings we were in pleasant weather by 24 hours after sailing. The last full day coming back will be chilly. But, if the trade-off is escaping the cost of a Florida hotel and the cost and hassle of flying down and back, it is a no-brainer. The only problem is that such winter sailings from New York are dominated by NCL and a RCCL monster of the seas.

A total crap shoot. A few years ago we took a Caribbean cruise out of NY in January. On the last day back, we were still out by and in the pool until mid afternoon, but when we took a cruise out of NY in October the last day was too chilly to do so. IT could be mild, chilly or cold, the seas could be smooth, choppy or moderate. Like an above posted said, it's the beginning of Nov and tomorrow is going to be 70 degrees in NYC.

We sailed Noordam out of NY in January some years ago and were ver y lucky to have an abnormally woarm dday, We ate lunch, out on deck after boarding. but no one can count on that. We CAN have snow on thanksgiving but it can also be beautiful. no way to predict.

• 10 months later...
Not likely. On a number of January sailings we were in pleasant weather by 24 hours after sailing. The last full day coming back will be chilly. But, if the trade-off is escaping the cost of a Florida hotel and the cost and hassle of flying down and back, it is a no-brainer. The only problem is that such winter sailings from New York are dominated by NCL and a RCCL monster of the seas.

LOL ... "monster of the seas"!;p

We cruised out of NYC in November a couple of years ago. We spent three days in NYC before embarking from there on a repositioning cruise to Miami. I layered like mad, and had nothing more than a long jacket in New York, then stripped the layers for the Caribbean. The weather in NYC was mid-50s and perfect for long walks through the city. It rained on one day, but I'd brought collapsible umbrellas that came in handy. I'd do it again in an instant.

From a life-long NYker, I agree wholeheartedly that November in NYC now-a-days is wonderful for outdoor activities ... it has gotten warmer and warmer by the years (due to global climate changes.) I remember when we were young, decades ago, out waiting for and watching Macy*s Thanksgiving Day parade, it was toe-numbing cold, literally. Now-a-days, being out for the parade is a pleasant holiday pasttime. :)

From a life-long NYker, I agree wholeheartedly that November in NYC now-a-days is wonderful for outdoor activities ... it has gotten warmer and warmer by the years (due to global climate changes.) I remember when we were young, decades ago, out waiting for and watching Macy*s Thanksgiving Day parade, it was toe-numbing cold, literally. Now-a-days, being out for the parade is a pleasant holiday pasttime. :)

So the difference between toe-numbing cold and a pleasant holiday pastime must be 2.4 degrees (since about 1850).

And you can tell the difference... :eek:

How is the weather cruising out of NY in November

Could be below freezing, could be in the 70's. The sea could be flat as glass, or you could sail through huge waves and storms. It is really impossible to generalize what you might find.

So the difference between toe-numbing cold and a pleasant holiday pastime must be 2.4 degrees (since about 1850).

And you can tell the difference... :eek:

Where did you get this statistics from? Have you been in NYC on Thanksgiving Day over the decade of years?

My experience as a NYC dweller over the decades is that it was well below 30s a few decades ago (on Thanksgiving Day, that is), and the temperatures these past few years (within this decade) on Thanksgiving Day have been above 50 degrees. It just has been getting warmer and warmer in the Winter in NYC over the years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmmm, upon further contemplation, I think your number is probably a representation of some kind of yearly average. Note that I was/am talking about specifically Thanksgiving Day.

And, some kind of yearly average statistical number notwithstanding, yes, I stand by my personal experience that Winter here in NYC (can't say anything about elsewhere in NY as New York is a sizable state) has been getting warmer and the duration getting shorter ... to the dismay of this New Yorker. :eek: